“Our Wedding Weekend”

Grand Superior Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Grand Superior Lodge was an amazing choice for our wedding day. Growing up in Two Harbors, it was important to us to have our reception on Lake Superior. Grand Superior was perfect! It was absolutely gorgeous! The staff was friendly and easy to work with - our day was more than you could have ever asked for! Reba accomodated everything perfectly - even my crazy bride requests :) The food was great - the room was beautiful - everyone keeps commenting on it!
We also had the Grooms dinner at a lakehome the night before which was perfect and the gift opening brunch on Sunday was a perfect cap to a great weekend!
We would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: All rooms are great! Be sure to get a view of the lake!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Our son and his bride chose GSL for their wedding reception. We had an amazing time with a large crowd (over 200) of family and friends! Everyone who stayed on-site was pleased with their accomodations. The views are amazing; the staff was very kind and helpful! We began working with Courtney, who we will really miss there, and ended working with Reba who took over very nicely for us! Anytime we needed something, there was someone to help out you just have to ask nicely and then remember that they are busy and you are not the only guest.

For those who have complained out here about it not being private: you're not at a little cabin in the middle of the woods, you're at a resort where there are other people.
For those who have complained about the road noise on 61: At least it's not non-stop traffic noise in the Cities and you have the Lake to enjoy if you allow yourself to.
For those who complained about the crowds when a wedding was taking place: What if it was your wedding? Enjoy seeing the beautiful bride and stunnin happy couple rather than complaining that you had to walk past them. And they aren't complaining about you - they could care less if you are there! And the pool was open during our reception so maybe it was closed for other reasons.
For those who complained about the food or service: Maybe they didn't think you were very nice either and yet they still waited on you. And someone is always going to not like food someplace - that's what makes us human. You can't please everyone after all.
For all who complained: I bet you have a complaint for every place you go. Some people are hard to please. The firepits - they are on the beach; the smores - bring your own if you want; and I could go on and on.

GSL is a small resort on BEAUTIFUL Lake Superior! It has a small staff of hard-working people who do their best to make your stay the best it can be! Chat with them like we did and you will find that out! If you can't see the lake from your room then all you have to do is walk outside and it is right there in front of you - or open your window and you will hear the waves and if you close your eyes, it is a beautiful sound! If you're choosing a resort to stay at or hold your wedding at along the North Shore of Lake Superior . . . choose GSL! Don't let a bad review change your mind because no place will be perfect - but this place can come pretty close if you are willing to kick back and enjoy yourself and not let any of the little things ruin your relaxing stay - we sure didn't and it was great!

Thank you GSL for making our son and daughter-in-law's wedding an event to remember for a lifetime - for all of us and for all of our guests - but mostly for the bride and groom!

Room Tip: I think any of the rooms at this resort are awesome! If you want to fall asleep to the sound of the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My (now husband) and I wanted to do a destination wedding so instead of flying the whole family to Mexico we had the whole family drive to the North Shore, up to Grand Superior Lodge. From Minneapolis Two Harbors is only about 3 hours away. Far enough to cut down on the guest list, but not so far that your favorite people won't go to your wedding. We went from a list of 300 down to about 130. MUCH CHEAPER. So anyway, we went to the north shore and toured all the resorts just outside of Duluth. After going to five different places we chose Grand Superior Lodge because it is the best value. It's also the nicest resort to stay at in the area. We both felt the other surrounding resorts were dirty and run down but Grand Superior Lodge was clean, up to date and extravagant. We also felt their wedding package was MUCH cheaper than having a wedding in the cities. We were able to save a lot of money.

Unlike other reviews I've seen on this site about Grand Superior Lodge my experience was much different. Everything surrounding out wedding was executed flawlessly. Our food for our wedding was AMAZING! It was cooked perfectly and our wedding guests were impressed. My grandfather (pickiest eater in the world) said it was the best steak he had ever had. I had a pretty strict time line to follow on the wedding day and after checking in with my personal attendants I found everything was executed just as planned. Cocktail hour started and ended on time, the doors to the ceremony were opened at the right time, the food was served in the perfect order (rolls first!) my dinner didn't even feel rushed, which is something I witness all the time at weddings.

The whole process of planning the wedding with Reba and Andrew (the resort manager) went great. They always said yes to whatever I wanted. They always found a way to do what I wanted. They could have said no do SO many things, but I could tell that they were both there for me trying to accomplish exactly what I wanted.

If my husband and I were to do it all over again, we would go with Grand Superior Lodge again. I can't think of any other way to execute a wedding.

Room Tip: Book quickly. This place fills up fast!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We are from Va and I had a convention in Minneapolis. We wanted to see a little bit of Minnesota while in the state for the first time so we decided to fly into Minneapolis, rent a car and drive through Duluth to take the Scenic Byway 61 up the North Shore. We saw a travel show (Andrew Zimmern) on this exact route and it looked spectacular. We made a reservation at the Grand Superior Lodge and were blown away with its beauty. We stayed in one of the new "Lake Homes North" and got a one bedroom suite on the ground level. I cannot begin to tell you how "high-end" the room was. The decor was lovely... the kitchen appliances were high end. Everything about the suite was first class. the cabin (log home) was situated just feet from the water's edge and the floor to ceiling windows made you feel like you were literally right on the water. The suite had everything you could want. The day we arrived it was very rainy and we just decided to grill steaks on the gas grill provided out by the cabin. I recommend this place to anyone traveling up the North Shore of Lake Superior. We ate breakfast at their restaurant the next morning (Splashing Rock Restaurant) and my husband said the Eggs Benedict with Walleye was delicious. The resort is really quiet and beautiful. A must stay for sure. Just wished we lived closer to this jewel.

Room Tip: Stay in the Lake Homes North new section.... although all of the cabins and even the main lodge look...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The rooms are large and the beds are comfy. We had a balcony room overlooking Lake Superior. Beautiful view. We listened to the waves crashing into the shore all night. The only complaint we would have is the Splashing Rock Restaurant. It was very over priced (for dinner) with food that tasted more shipped in than homemade. We would go again but skip eating onsite.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The decore of the room was great! The hotel service was good. The expience at the spa was one of my wife's favorite. The service at the restaurant was terrible.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Wolfmn1
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We had our Wedding at Grand Superior Lodge this past week-end and we were very disappointed in the event coordinator (Reba) and how understaffed the Lodge was. We arrived on Thursday and had the "rehearsal" there that afternoon. There wasn't any staff available in the bar for my guests to order a drink. We had to go back in the kitchen to find an employee to help us after waiting 20 minutes. We were planning on decorating the ballroom after the rehearsal and the mirrors and votive candles were not set out on the tables and when they finally were they were dirty. We had to request 3 times for the ballroom and entry way to be vacuumed. We were not greeted as a couple by Reba after corresponding with her over phone and email multiple times. We had to seek her out and introduce ourselves. Very unprofessional in my eyes when you are paying thousands of dollars to have your wedding at their resort.

On our Wedding Day after the ceremony was cocktail hour. Our kegs weren't tapped until over an hour into our reception so our guests were being charged for beer and wine when they shouldn't have. The excuse they gave me was the "bartender scheduled called in." Dinner was served and we had reviewed the menu with Reba multiple times and the Pork Tenderloin was supposed to be served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and it was served with Sweet Potatoes (which looked and tasted like diced carrots.) The waiters were asked to put coffee on the tables multiple times and never did. All the food that was served was COLD!! We heard through our families the multiple complaints about the food. The 3 dishes we ordered tasted NOTHING like the ones we sampled at the Menu Tasting. We were told a new chef had taken over since our menu tasting. The Chicken Alfredo was cold, clumpy and tasteless. The Lake trout tasted like old, frozen fish and the pork tenderloin was not the wild rice stuffed tenderloin that we ordered. I was texting Reba to come to the Ballroom and she never did. She responded to my texts after the dance had started and dinner was over but never came and talked to us or apologized for all the mishaps.

S'mores were supposed to be put out at the fire pit when it got dark and that never happened. This is a gorgeous resort that is run by poor management. They are understaffed and ill-equiped to host a wedding party of 175. There was no head waiter making sure that things in the dining room were running smoothly. Reba wasn't available when you needed her and didn't have a back up. There was no Chain-of-Command and when we finally sat down and voiced all our complaints before we left we didn't not get any answers.

I do have to say the view is breath-taking. I know our wedding pictures will be amazing. Our second night we stayed in the Honeymoon Cottage and we loved that. It was a private cabin with a jacuzzi and a little kitchenette, fireplace and porch. Very cozy and quaint. The rooms are not stocked well with soap, toiletries or towels though.

I would definately not recommend you book any weddings here. It seems like its a lot of "sweet-talking" until they get your $$ and then when you finally get there and things aren't what you signed up for no one wants to be accountable.

Bottom line: This is NOT a Superior Resort. It is NOT run by professionals. Do NOT waste your money HERE!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Main Lodge. Stay in a private cabin, not a log home that is attached to anothe...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!