“My Grandparents” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gooseberry Park Cottages and Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Two Harbors
Gooseberry Park Cottages and Motel
You added Gooseberry Park Cottages and Motel to your Saves list
Hemet, California
“My Grandparents”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Around 1925 my grandparents built the cabins at Breezy Point, the name up until 1970 or so when they sold the property. They built 8 cabins, 5 on the lake, one where the house now sits and two on the west side of the property. The little building near the road was filled with treasures the tourists could purchase. Besides all of the trees along the property there was a circular drive way and a pond with fish, trees and flowers. There was no running water so my mothers job was to carry water from the lake for the guests, the house and of course the laundry. With no plumbing out door toilets were used and the two holers were great (you could bring a friend). My grandmother washed all of the the linen in a tub, then a ringer washer with blueing then hung everything on a clothes line, most every thing was ironed too. The cabins rented for $1.50 to $2.50 a night depending on location and size. Nothing was easy but my grandparents saved money and built the motel in the early 60's. Of course my grandmother was older and more beds ment more work, which she did everything alone. The guests did not build fires, at that period of time, the rocks were protected and they were perfect. The nights were quiet and I could go to sleep, as a little girl, hearing the water hitting the rocks and the june bugs hitting the bedroom screen. It was my wonderland and I felt like a princess. I was able to visit and stay 4 nights the summer of 2011. It was a wonderful experience and I loved every moment but I was sad to see the deterioration of the buildings, that would never be, and the lack of personal interaction. It is just a business now and I did not get a reduced rate. How the times have changed! I must say the time spent, especially on the sun porch, brought back pleasant memories of years gone by.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank MyThoughts123
Ted V, Owner at Gooseberry Park Cottages and Motel, responded to this review, July 11, 2016
Sorry, we invite to come and try the property now. We will do our best not to disappoint you. This review was based on the past ownership. My wife and myself purchased the resort in March of 2014 and have totally renovated the entire property and brought the resort back to life.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We booked our cabin after looking online. Admittedly when we first arrived I was a little skeptical. Our cabin needed a new coat of paint on the exterior but the price was right and it was clean, comfortable and quiet. We spent our first night there having a bonfire on the shore. It was perfect! Great location, just a short distance from everything we came to see. I grew up in a "family owned resort" area and like to support these types of establishments. If you want an expensive luxe pool and spa place, then you won't find what you want here, but if you want a nice atmosphere in a great location at a great price, then give this place a shot. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Halcyonstorm
MANKATO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The previous reviewer said there was no lake access, which is not true. We have stayed here many times, and there is a set of steps between cabins 3 and 4, which goes down to ledgerock shoreline, with a view of Grand Superior Lodge. If you want a new cabin, there is one only a couple of years old with fireplace, new furniture, etc. If you are satisfied with older log cabins, there are several of those with either porches or a deck. There is a duplex with each section having an upper floor with bedroom, lower floor with fireplace, living room/kitchen/dining area, bathroom, and another bedroom (builet in about he 80s). If you want an inexpensive option, there is a small motel with either 2 kitchenette units or 2 motel rooms. Shasta pop is free, as is video/dvd usage on a rainy day. Located right across from the Rustic Inn for a convenient breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Also, only 2 miles south of Gooseberry Park.There are few of these small family-type resorts left on the shore--they should be valued. If you want Grand Superior and its prices, go there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank 110kitty
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Motel rooms right along highway, can be a little noisy. Rate is very reasonable for north shore. Could be due to they don't have a "beach". Room left a little to be desired. Furniture was 70's dated but comfortable. Owner was nice, but didn't attend to the room concerns we had. Overall we may choose this place for a quick night on the 'shore.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Landof10000Lakes
Sorry, we invite to come and try the property now. We will do our best not to disappoint you. This review was based on the past ownership. My wife and myself purchased the resort in March of 2014 and have totally renovated the entire property and changed the name to reflect the new ownership.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Two Harbors
Cove Point Lodge
#1 of 1 in Beaver Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 439 reviews
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver Bay

Been to Gooseberry Park Cottages and Motel? Share your experiences!