“HORRIBLE” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Hudson, Wisconsin
“HORRIBLE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

We visited Superior Shores over Thanksgiving with my young children. We stayed in the Burlington Bay Section. In a Three Bedroom Room. We had stayed at the resort many times before but will never return.
1. Had trouble with key cards accessing our room.
2. Woke up to barking dogs in the unit below us, when we were told no Animals were allowed in that portion of the resort.
3. Went down to the pool and discovered partying Adults smoking and drinking in the Hot Tub outside, when the rules clearly state thats not acceptable.
4. Windows began to shake due to the loud music playing a few rooms down the hall.
5. Friday Morning a Maintance Man Accessed out room with his key card. Why??? Thank god we were there with the children cauz he scared the crap out of us. He had no reason for entering the room.

I called the front desk each and everytime these things happened and was told basically they would look into it, thats it.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank traveler11096

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Hugo, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

Superior Shores Resort has become a yearly getaway for my husband, myself and our dog. We come up here every August and December to take a break from the hectic city life. We have had the opportunity to stay in the Lakehomes as well as the Lodge Suites. Both are very comparable and very comfortable but we recommend staying in the Lakehomes if you want to hear the Lake Superior waves crashing into the rocks! The reason we keep coming back to this resort is because pets are welcome. We have found that Superior Shores is one of the only resorts in this town that accommodate pets.

No matter what time of year we are staying here you will find us doing the following things....Relaxing in the cozy room with a fire and reading a book, taking nature walks on the grounds (they have nice walking paths along the shore and in the woods), sitting on the shore picking rocks and watching the waves, enjoying a nice dinner at Kamloops Restaurant (in the lodge) or cooking right in our room. We also enjoy going into town to check out all the little gift shops and driving up to Gooseberry Falls (about 10 minutes away).

We highly recommend this resort if you enjoy the outdoors, want to see breathtaking views and love to relax! My husband and I will continue to vacation here for years to come!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
SW Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

NICE, quiet and very relaxing in a beautiful cove on the shores. This was our second trip to a beautiful spot to make memories with your family. Everywhere you look is a million dollar view.

We really appreciate the suites that do allow pets. This is so important to us and the front desk helped us find a beautiful room when we arrived at 3:00 AM during our first stay. We could not believe the view out the window and wanted to return a second time. So we booked a suite/apartment with a full kitchen, whirlpool & fireplace. With super views of the lake, on 3rd floor...even while in the whirlpool. It can be a real romantic get-away & relaxing. We do suggest the suite as the perfect option. It does include the patio with a grill, too. It was very spacious and roomy. They do have other options which are much larger units for larger groups. Check out their website with photos of various rooms.

Wish we could've stayed a week. Great restaurant and lots of interesting decor. The whole resort is fun to experience for the entire family.

Some people complained about the beds, but we found the beds "firm" and great for us! It is much nicer than one that sags in the middle or is too soft. (I guess it is just personal preference.)

The desk clerks and other staff were ALL very friendly & helpful. It was the other guests that were on the arrogant-side and pretty rude, if anything!

We didn't rate it with a five stars simply because of the rates/prices which were on the higher end. But it was a close decision between 4 or 5 stars. Maybe, our third visit will get the 5 stars. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4RedEyes
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

We were really disappointed. I was searching for a romantic, intimate place for an anniversary and their reservation line said it was like a bed and breakfast and that they would make special note of it being our 1st anniversary. It was decorated like a hunting lodge. Our room was $20 more than highest rate on website, but not even close to being the fanciest. The did nothing at all to note our anniversary. Wouldn't correct the rate at check in even though couple next to us checking in's room was $40 over posted rates. Over all, not what billed as, not what I would recommend, and wwaayyy too expensive. No food coupons, breakfasts, couldn't even park by our building. Too bad. Can't get that anniversary back to do right.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveledALOT3
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

My group of fishing friends stopped at Superior Shores on our way to Canada. We got a great rate for two rooms. The rooms were clean and had plenty of room for gear. The front desk help was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was closed when we arrived, but the bar was open. They had a minimal selection of food. We had pizza and it was fine. The bartender was outstanding and never left us waiting. We will definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Ramsey, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband and I visited the North Shore for a couple of days to celebrate our anniversary. The grounds are beautiful, and we liked having a full kitchen. The room was very nice - huge bathroom with generously sized whirlpool bathtub.

However, the bed had the absolute most uncomfortable mattress I've ever attempted to sleep on in my life - and I've experienced some pretty uncomfortable beds. It was hard and lumpy. It looked like what one would find on a cheap sleeper-sofa (or frankly, on the side of the road with a sign that reads "FREE") rather than a king-sized bed at a resort. I barely slept the first night. In order to make it through our second night, I actually brought the cushions from the couch and put them under the sheet. This helped a little, though not a lot. After spending the day hiking, a comfortable place to lie down would have been nice, and for the price, one would expect something better than what was provided. We reported this issue to the front desk, but the girls there basically had no idea what to do, and seemed somewhat annoyed that we brought it up.

Another issue was the in-room air conditioner. It was quite chilly when we arrived, but they required to keep the air on in the room. Then we noticed that the floor of the room was soaked. The air conditioner was leaking. Since it was late when we checked in, maintenance was unable to come until the next day. We asked for extra towels to put down on the floor, and after a half-hour wait, my husband finally went down to get them, since it was after midnight by then, and we wanted to get some sleep. They left a note saying there was a clog, they cleared it, and all was fine now. That wasn't the case. It was still leaking when it was on high, but at least switching it to low caused the leak to stop. My husband opened up the side, though, to check on where the leak was coming from and found that the filter was caked with dirt - likely, the filter had never been cleaned / changed. After two nights of breathing who-knows-what, I'm having sinus issues and a sore throat. Not likely a coincidence.

The restaurant was wonderful, and was by far the best customer service experience we had there. As for the hotel portion, the front-desk staff needs to be better trained. They seemed ignorant of the fact that they are the primary liaison between the resort staff and the guests - their customers. This resort would be spectacular if they had better trained staff, up-to-date heating/cooling systems, and upgraded the mattresses so they were actually comfortable.h

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

There were several reasons why we didn't end up staying here. First of all it was hard to find because the confirmation I had in my hand didn't have their address on it, just their phone number, town and zip code. We found it outside of town a bit. When we found it we thought it looked run-down. We went to see if our room might be ready early, since we arrived before the 4:00 check in. The young woman at check in told us it was ready, but that it needed to be inspected by the supervisor and would be ready in about 20 minutes. She took my cell phone number and said she would call me when it was ready, which I thought was great! We then found out the outdoor pool was not usable because they were redoing it (from other reviews it sounded like it needed it, but maybe the Spring would have been a better time to renovate it). That was a disappointment to the kids. My husband then went to make a work call and I went back to the car with the 3 kids and dog to wait for the room. After about an hour without hearing anything I went back in to check to see the status, and it was ready. Finding the room was a little confusing because they way the rooms are numbered is different than how they write it on your envelope. We were looking for room 1100, but on the door it was actually 110-0. Not a big deal, but why make it confusing? The room was a studio, but smaller than I was imagining it, and I was definitely expecting a view of the lake, which it didn't have. In fact, I had downsized rooms to get the view because that was all they had with a view available. It wasn't a bad view (lawn, reeds, and bridge that probably went to the lake), but we drove 10 hours from Chicago to see the lake. On a higher floor I'm sure you do have a view, once you get above the tall grasses. I went to the front desk to ask about other rooms. She sent me to a room across the hall from that one that was the same price, but much larger with a separate bedroom and it faced the parking lot. We probably would have taken that room except it wasn't a pet-friendly room. The girls at the desk were all very young and the one I was speaking with hadn't seen any of the rooms, so didn't really understand the issue. She told me they had another property 1/2 mile away, but with 3 young kids I couldn't see not being able to walk to the amenities. I asked to speak to a manager, who could help me no further than I was at. I asked about why the room was described as a lake view, when you can't see the water. She said because it's lake side. What does it matter if the lake is next door if you can't actually see it? I explained the expectation that we wanted were hoping to actually see the lake. She said that you can see the lake from the room, so I invited her to go to the room with me and show me where the lake is -- I wasn't sure how I could miss the largest freshwater lake in the world out my window, but she declined. My husband was still on his call this entire time, so I made the decision to bail. The girl at the desk tried to charge me for one night because that is their cancellation policy. I told them that wasn't going to work out because my policy is I expect a room that in person is how they describe it. Without too much of a fight I got a full refund.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors
Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!