“Shameful food!”

Superior Shores Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I wanted to treat my wife to a nice Valentine's Dinner. In the first 5 minutes of arriving at the restaurant, we had 3 different menus and 3 different waitresses! My wife ordered the ribs and shrimp, and I the ribs and fried chicken. My wife recieved 6 shrimp, the size of a silver dollar - these were rubbery and seemed to have been sat upon a grill for a few minutes. Both of us received corn-on-the-cob, which turned out to be the small 1/2 cob you buy frozen in the supermarket. These must have been microwaved, since they were over cooked and spongy. Our ribs were terrible. They were covered in what seemed to be ketchup and tasted just as well...no meat in sight! Lastly, my "fried chicken" turned out to be 2 chicken strips. Overall, I could've gotten an order of chicken strips and McRib from McDonalds and had a better experience! My wife and I had never actually complained in a restaurant before, but we
couldn't believe a resort like Superior Shores would serve such low quality meals. We were able to get our unfinished meals free of charge. Worst food experience of our lives. What does this say about the resort..if the food is that bad...

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank Y9193WGbrianw

Farmington, MN
Reviewed February 20, 2006

I was emailed a Reservation Confirmation and found an added “resort fee” tacked onto the charge. I also couldn’t calculate out how they came up with the fee and taxes figures as they had indicated on the confirmation. The cost of my room was a total of $418. Taxes were listed at $30.44, and the Resort Fee was $29.26. When I telephoned to inquire about it, the receptionist’s explanation was rather vague. According to her, the resort fee was for “supporting local and service organizations, bonfires on the beach, and shuttle services”. She was unsure and varied on the figures for the tax amounts. Not too happy with her explanation, I forwarded an email to the General Manager specifically asking why these services weren’t already included in the tax and cost of the rooms, and how they came up with the figures for the tax and fees. The GM only reply was a breakdown of the total cost as: 3% city lodging- $12.54, 7% tax- $29.26, and 4% Resort Fee- $17.90. He did not address my other questions.
Evidently, Superior Shores can’t seem to get it straight. The figures didn’t match those on the confirmation, and further, the 4% of $418 is $16.72, not $17.90. A reply email to this inquiry never came with a response.
The room we stayed at was in the Burlington Shores lodge. It was impeccably clean, but room service completely skipped refreshing our room for one day. The location of this portion of the resort is a mile or more away from the main lodge. The view was gorgeous, but I question the security. We seemed to be one of only a few guests that weekend, no staff (except daytime housekeeping), there were few exterior lights, no cameras, and full 24 hour access into the building (even though a card-reader was mounted next to the entrance door).
We stayed during a three-for-two night special. Maybe because I already had a sour taste with this resort before we arrived, I don’t think it was particularly a fair price even with that special.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Superior Shores for two nights to attend a conference. We stayed in the hotel portion of the resort. Up the road, there are fully equipped lodge style homes which looked nice from the outside. The resort is a fractional ownership timeshare style property. Outside of a brochure available in the lobby, there is no attempt by anyone to sell timeshares.
Our second floor jacuzzi room faced Lake Superior, and it was very nice. The view is great and with the window open you can hear the waves coming ashore. The restaurant is slow (40 minutes for an omellete), but we felt they made up for the wait with the quality of the food. Everything we tried, we liked. The rooms are decorated nicely to look like a northwoods cabin. The floor in our room creaked when you walked on it, but not a big deal. One bummer is the resort does not have any type of fitness facility. We paid $99 for the jacuzzi room, but this might have been lower rate for the conference which was in the dead of winter. Its a nice getaway spot to relax for a couple days. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank OUZ
Reviewed December 21, 2005

We stayed at Superior Shores for three nights in the middle of November. We had a wonderful time. The staff was great. We have a little one and she always got alot of attention from the staff. The room had been updated and was very clean. It is also nice that they come in very day and clean. The view of the lake in the morning is great, watch for the ships. We have been to Superior Shores at least 6 times and this time we had our best meal at the restaurant. They have a new menu. It is worth a try. Also spend some time in Two Harbors the people are very nice.

• Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank TripHelper60
Duncannon, PA
Reviewed December 20, 2005

We stayed in one of their suites overlooking the lake. It was a winter wonderland. The staff was great. We ate most of our meals in the restaurant and they were first rate. Our grandchildren loved the pool. We enjoyed our stay so much that we made reservations for July, too.

Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 15, 2005

We stayed there in early November. We had a 1 bedroom suite in the lodge. The room was showing some wear as far as the furniture was concerned but it was still tolerable. The view is wonderful from the room and the fireplace was definitely welcomed as it was cold outside. The place is also quite clean. There was alot of noise from the room next to us and someone had a dog as it barked frequently even though the rooms around us said no pets. We ate at the restaurant and the food was just ok. Nothing too spectacular to write about. It was a nice place but I must say the people that work at the desk are just so-so. They seem to just be there because it is a job. There is not the usual hospitality type of personality that we are accustomed to at resorts or hotels. I don't know if they just aren't trained as well but it definitely shows. They don't seem like they would bend over backwards to meet your needs. I would expect more friendly people at a reception desk. They spent more time talking with each other than focusing on the customers. I think management needs to send them to a few classes. We would definitely go back and just hope that we didn't have any issues so we wouldn't have to go to the desk.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank 2gothere
WHITE BEAR LAKE,MN
Reviewed August 21, 2005

We booked our room months in advance on the Internet requesting a room with a lake view. We arrived on Thursday with another couple to find out they dont have anymore Lakeside rooms left. I asked to speak with a manager who turned out to be very rude!! After 10 minutes of arguing with him he arranged for us stay there that night and moved us to a new place 1 mile down the road which had a lakeside view. We had to check out of our room Friday morning and could not check into our new room until after 3pm. When we were finally able check in after spending the day killing time the girl at the front desk told us there is a $16.00 tax. I told her I was not going to pay another $16.00. Out comes another manager. He told me because the new place was in the city limits of Two harbors the was more tax to pay. I refused because they moved us to the new place. He slammed the keys down and said fine!!! Im not going to sit here and argue with you. The new place was very nice - however we will not return!!!

• Stayed: August 2005
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors
Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!