“A REAL disappointment-NEVER again” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Superior Shores Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A REAL disappointment—NEVER again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I stayed at one of the Lakehomes, key 51A (Room 4510), three nights—July 2, 3 and 4, 2013. Although the home was clean, we found the stay most unsatisfactory.

The coffee maker took over 20 minutes to make a 4-cup pot and it left the maker in a filthy state afterwards.

The tuner / radio part of the audio system did not work. We did not try any other part of the system.

The TV in the living room did not work. We did not try the other set.

The door to the deck was basically unopenable. Our son was able to get it open twice with about 3 minutes of effort each time. We finally decided it was not worth the effort.

Worst of all was the bedding situation. The description is that it had two queen beds, and a king bed. We gave our son and daughter-in-law first choice. They took a room with a queen bed. Our grandchildren chose the room with a king bed. My wife and I then had the third bed. It turned out to be not a queen but a double bed. My wife and I have a king bed at home, so this double bed was more than uncomfortable. Neither of us had a decent nights sleep at the lake home.

We will NEVER be back.

Room Tip: There may be good rooms here. But we certainly didn't have one. I have no idea who you would fin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Gregory S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have been visiting the North Shore for nearly twenty years. Over the years, we have been to several different resorts along the North Shore. I have yet to pick a favorite. Superior Shores was our first resting place. Superior Shores has also been the most frequented resort over the years. I have yet to have a bad experience….some better than others.. but nothing that has left a poor memory.

This particular stay was our first time in the Burlington Lake Home (1-bed). We stayed in Building 5 in a lower unit. Burlington Lake homes are nicely decorated with a modern touch, a step up from the older lake homes located on sight at Superior Shores.

The downfall of Burlington Lake homes for me was the view from our unit and also the units along the shore are built more like an apartment community rather than a lake home.

Room Tip: IMHO, building six at Burlington Lake Home offers a better view than building five,
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I found the room I wanted on book it and called the lodge to see if it was the same setup we had had ten years ago. She said no, but she could upgrade me if I used book it she was just unable to give me price book it quoted. After booking I immediately called the person I had spoken to before and she actually talked me out of the same room we had before because there was a new lodge that had better views and balconies. She also said there would be a wedding that weekend and we would enjoy the quit building. I was happy, she was kind and helpful. No extra fees.
Upon arrival the front desk quoted a price hundreds of dollars more that I had been quoted. I was quickly aware that the staff were all very young and under trained, I didn't see one transaction go through smoothly for the guest. They called in the assistant manager that could have been the grounds keeper (no on dresses their job up here) the girls at the front all looked like they had just hopped out of bed grabbed their work clothes off the floor and threw a headband on. A button or two had been missed. The assistant manger was VERY upset that we had been given such a nice room for the price we paid. He demanded proof because they didn't have any. Once my email opened on my phone the reservations happen to show up on the desk. He went on and on hoe only he had the authority to upgrade people and let us know we had severely underpaid for the room the had to give us now. There were at least three families behind us waiting and could hear how unprofessional we were being treated. Myself and the other patrons waiting had no right to hear what just went on. I should have never known that they felt like I took them to the cleaners. Ok, let me check on a few things....by any chance do you have your confirmation email?...Ok fine, it looks like you are booked in one of our newest resorts. I think you will really enjoy the view and newer rooms. I hope you enjoy your stay. Easy, non frightened young staff, people who knew their jobs, and a professional attitude toward the guests should have been given. I had to remind him to wish us well.
The building needs CLEANED. Dirty hand covered windows and dirty floors needing vacuumed the whole three night we stayed. Our room was nice. Bed SUCKS!!!!!!! Neither of us slept through the night!! That never happens, Backaches and headaches. The tub was scummy and the sink was plugged. I left a note the next day and whomever cleaned our room that first day did a fabulous job. Left a note of apologizing. Everything felt clean and taken care of. She will be tipped. Today when we returned at 3 our room was still untidy and had not been restocked. I called for maid service....I am not sure why,I had to clean the two things that were touched over.If you are just looking for a place to crash while you are out enjoying nature this will work for you. Great kitchen, awesome views, and ok plain run of the meal cabin dust catchers. I like to stay where I am treated with respect, where the room is taken care of beautifully and I feel I got my moneys worth. This trip none of those things happened for me. Next year I think we will try the next resort up the highway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katchley
Lakeland, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Lodge this time at Superioer Shores. The room ws beautiful. It had a separate bedroom with a hot tub, and a separate living room with a fireplace and a kitchen. AND a beautiful porch all facing Lake Superior. The view from the room and the porch was incredible. We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room, however, and were very pleased with the dinner but had to send both breakfasts back... The room was spacious and clean,and beautifully appointed. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Tryu to get a room in the lodge facing the lake and ON THE THIRD FLOOR. The view from the third flo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Treated like a pest not a guest. I'd go else where. Did a 5 night stay and would have left but did so much work unpacking. Many problems in our unkept room. Leaks, bees, broken appliances. Poor management. They just blew me off. Last stay for me. Customer service played on there smart phones when I needed help

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Plastichand
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our room was adequate; that part of the hotel was dingy, could use updates and a thorough cleaning, especially the carpet. Bed was very soft and mattress needed replacing some time ago. The view from the restaurant deck was beautiful. I would hope management could improve the dining experience by better training some of the wait staff. Service varied from good and helpful, to awful/surly; at not-very-busy times on different days, it took several requests to get the very basics -- condiments, utensils, coffee... The food quality varied; beer and snacks on the deck were good; skip dinner and try another nearby restaurant. The location is terrific --walk the beaches nearby or take a short drive to Gooseberry Falls. I suspect this place is hit-or-miss with lots to offer if you're lucky... unfortunately, our experience @ this resort missed the mark in many ways and we know we can expect better at other lodgings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank irisfromstpaul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have stayed in the Duluth and Two Harbors area many times.. Burlington Bay was by far the best resort in the area!!! For just a little extra we upgraded to a 1 Bedroom Suite with a Media room.. well worth the extra dollars!!!

The suite was larger than you would expect! Very Roomy!! Large kitchen with full appliances, eating bar and full eating table as well. Living Room was large with a large TV and fireplace. The Master bedroom had a King size bed a large TV and Fireplace and whirlpool tub. The bathroom was large and all was up to date!!

The amazing thing besides the patio and view was the Media Room.. Kids loved this! They packed 16 kids into the room(up for Soccer Tournament) and watched movies... Room didn't have great venting.. was hot in there!

The pool area was also larger than a standard hotel pool. The whirlpool was indoor/outdoor with great views of Lake Superior. There was also a large deck off the pool to take in the view.

There is a path down to the water and a firepit right on the lake side.

I highly recommend this over Grand Superior Lodge, Larsmount Cottages and the Inn on Lake Superior! We have stayed at those as well.. they are nice but Burlington was far nicer!!

Two Harbors is a cute town with many cute coffee/ice cream shops.

I am usually one to find something to complain about. The only down side I thought was the Restaurant, they were very slow.. granted we had a large group comng through at one time.. I just think they could have been more organized.

Great place would for sure go again!!!

Oh.. love the meatloaf at Rustic Inn about 12 minutes up the street..

Room Tip: Stay at Burlington.. not the main lodge!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors
Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!