“Great stay - Great price!”

Superior Shores Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Two Harbors
Saline, Michigan
“Great stay - Great price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed in the Burlington Bay penthouse Thursday through Saturday nights in order to visit the Split Rock lighthouse memorial of the Edmund Fitzgerald on November 11. Cold, windy and rainy the whole trip, but with this hotel, we did not have much reason to leave the rooms. We had a family of 4 from the Minneapolis area and a family of 2 from Michigan, and we stayed in the 3 bedroom penthouse very comfortably. The living room was large, with a gas fireplace and a balcony overlooking Lake Superior. A full kitchen with dishes and a dishwasher made meals easy. Coffee tables and a dining room table were good for playing board games we brought as well as for eating on. The living room also had a flat screen television and a DVD player. The bedroom attached to the living room is large, with a king bed and also with a fireplace and a two person whirlpool tub and nice double doors into the living room.

Another large bedroom had a fireplace, king bed and another two person whirlpool tub, and the third bedroom was good for the two kids, with a queen bed, but no fireplace or tub so we didn't have to worry about them. All three bedrooms had separate baths with showers, as well as flat screen televisions and DVD players.

A vestibule connected all of the rooms, with the vestibule and each of the three rooms each having keyed entries. We tended to just leave all of the interior doors open except for overnight.

We used the indoor/outdoor hot tub each evening, the outdoor part was normally only open Friday and Saturday nights, but unfortunately was closed Saturday night due to high winds, which apparently caused power outages in the other parts of the resort. The indoor pool was nice for the boys to play in.

Everything was very clean and quiet, and we had an issue with a burned out light bulb that was replaced very quickly. Housekeeping was very nice, on Saturday we did not leave the room until about 1:30, and although they first came to clean the room about 9:30, they were extremely gracious when we asked them to come back in the afternoon.

A word of warning, if you want to order a pizza on Thursday night in the off-season like we did, you had better do it early. We tried to order from every pizza place in the phone book - including Pizza Hut and found them all closed. We ended up going to the grocery store and buying frozen and cooking it in the oven back at the room, but most of Two Harbors closes around 8:00.

I will definitely stay here again the next time we visit. The value was great, especially when shared between families.

Room Tip: The Burlington Bay Penthouse has great views of the lake, and being on the top floor and at the end...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MusicMan48176

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have stayed here before and like it, due to the fact that we are smokers and there aren't any other places as nice as this one on the North Shore where you can smoke. We had a third floor one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, living room with a two sided fireplace, one side in the living room and the other side in the bedroom. The bedroom has a king size bed, and a large jacuzzi. The pillows on the bed aren't real comfortable, if you go, I would suggest you bring your own. The kitchen is fully equipped and they even gave us microwave popcorn.

The view of the great lake is splendid with a nice deck and grill. The resturant is nice and the food is good, a little spendy.

The only complaint I have is that the couch is very hard, it does make into a bed which is lumpy, and the chairs around the table are very uncomfortable. But all in all a very nice place, the people who work there are very nice and helpful. It is only a hop, skip and jump into Two Harbors.

We will visit again.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor has the best view of the lake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annie C
Savage, Minnesota, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have always wanted to try Superior shores Resort – Believing it was a more of upscale place to stay due to the price. So when an opportunity for me to try it due to a Yoga retreat being up there I thought GREAT! Let me share with you what I found out.

Upon arrival – All looked great! The room – albeit small – appeared clean not exactly what I would have expected for the price paid but nice all the same. However after the weekend went on things just went downhill.
Main area
Lots of counter space and Electrical outlets were nice
Full size beds - I expected this as I saw this when I booked the room but it is odd they are not Queen sized…that isn’t the worst they are encased in wood boxes that are larger than the bed so you CONSTANTLY Hit your feet/knees on the sides
Coffee pot was there - but NO Coffee cup? As a matter of fact no glasses at all - I guess I would expect to have glasses and not plastic cups in this type of resort?
VIEW- We had a Lakeview room (122-1) and the view was ok - you mainly only saw the grass area in front of lake and could only see the lake in the far distance however the Lake was VERY nice. But note it is also connected to the state park so you could visit the same area without staying here.
Unlocked fuse box in our room. If we wanted to we could of taken out the electricity in areas of the hotel? REALLY???

Sink Area
SMALL -not 1 inch of counter space. Only a sink surrounded by 3 walls. Nowhere to set anything down in a bathroom area.
No towel bars

Bathroom
SMALL- if you have a hard time moving around – just know you will have a hard time getting up from the toilet – VERY SMALL AREA
Our room had an unfinished ceiling – it was Spackle – but not painted.
Door didn’t lock – don’t expect privacy in the bathroom any one can walk right in – considering the door was angled to always close you never knew if someone was in the bathroom so a lock would have been nice.
Tub – had holes in it and was clearly caulked to cover the holes. Would have been nice if maybe they could of painted over that?
THE BEST PART - Toilet didn’t flush after the first, 2nd or third flushes all the time - we used the toilets in the lobby area so we wouldn’t have floaters!
No towel bar -
Only two towels in a room that clearly sleeps 4
Only shampoo - No lotion or conditioner? REALLY?

Resort
The resort was having electrical issues all day on Saturday - so when the Electricity finally went out completely around 6PM I shouldn’t of been surprised but I was! When I finally made my way to the door to the hallway the neighbors said “this was a planned outage – didn’t you get the call?” That was the last straw for me. If I would of known would of decided to go out to eat (After a day of Yoga – I was tired and decided to just stay in and have some leftovers – had I known I would of left!) So I went up to the desk and asked why I didn’t get a call and they said they ran out of time to call everyone! For real they didn’t think to take the 30 employees and go door to door and knock on doors with the 15 minutes’ notice they had? Instead one employee was to call every room in that time? Not sure who’s bright Idea that was – but not very smart. I understand these things happen and we made the best of it - but to know they were aware of the issue and that is how they chose to handle it blows my mind! Keep in mind originally they denied knowing - until I said “my neighbor got a call?” And at check out they said they didn’t know either! Crazy!
Broken Glass in the hallway - So wear your shoes ALL THE TIME
Apparently they allow pets! -This is actually very cool as I myself have a dog and think it’s great that hotels allow pets. However - Keep them away from other guests that don’t.
Walking to a yoga session I was cornered by a large yellow lab as a hotel room door opened and a dog came flying out barking at me as I was in his territory- Actually had to ask the owner to call off his dog and pull it back in the room so I could get by? You would think that would be obvious.
I never read the reviews before I went as I just assumed it would be awesome! However I would think that if I am part of a Yoga retreat they wouldn’t put me in a pet room (UNLESS I HAD A PET!!!) - I should of said something right way but by the time we noticed all the issues we had already unpacked and didn’t want to move rooms anyways

Note - On Saturday night I told the front desk I was dissatisfied with the whole thing and not only the electricity being out and that I was going to write a review - they truly didn't seem to care! At check out, I again said I was dissatisfied and was told I could wait to talk to a manager... At that point I wasn't waiting. You only get one chance to make a first impression - They made a HORRIBLE ONE!

Room Tip: In short - Unless you want to pay more for you room - as I can only hope the other rooms are nicer...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank sunnynikki
Twin Cities
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our second visit, there was some wicked weather Friday through Saturday. Our power kept blinking off and on throughout our stay and finally blacked out early Saturday evening. Some rooms seemed to have power, the lounge had some, but the restaurant didn't, the hotel desk was dark but the snack shop lights were on, our hallway was lit but the second floor wasn't. Sporadic. It's a great place to stay but geting a little run down. There was a knob on one closet that was stripped out and fell off a couple times. The insulation in the oven peeled off and the oven had a hard time preheating, The windowsill in the bedroom leaked badly. It's a very nice property and we would stay again but they need to do a little tinkering.

Room Tip: Third floor is quiet, no one above you and the closer to the lobby, the better for view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chanhassen, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Staff doesn't care. Rooms are UN-kept and outdated. Bathroom didn't work and was smaller than any hotel bathroom I have ever been in. Pet hair in corners and bugs in the toilet??

The only thing this place had was the North Shore but there are public beaches that are better to visit than this place.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Kidjacque
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went up to Superior Shores for my birthday and just loved it. I have stayed here before with family or on a girls weekend too. It is the perfect resort for any occasion. It is located just north of Two Harbors, MN on a cove on Lake Superior. The rooms are done in a upscale northwoods decor and the 1 Bdrm suites are perfect for a blustery fall or winter day. They have a fireplace that is two sided so it is in the bedroom and the living room. They have decks with grills full kitchens dining area and a large bathroom with a double sink vanity. They also have a two person sunken garden tub in the master bedroom or bath in some locations. The living room has a queen sofa sleeper. There is a indoor pool, hot tub, sauna and kids pool in the main area of the Lodge and a restaurant with a beautiful view and vaulted beamed ceilings. They have a special for Nov and Dec called the Gales of November and is a great value with food included. Don't drive past this excellent resort.

Room Tip: For a view of the lake ask for a Superior Room. To save a few dollars you can get a Northwoods View...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My extended family booked the Up North executive lodge which is part of a smaller development of condos about a half mile down highway 61 from the rest of the resort. We had 4 couples (including 3 young children). We have stayed in other large multi-bedroom units before, both regnionally, as well as oceanfront rental properties elsewhere around the country. There is no question that this is the highest end rental unit that I have ever seen. Thick carpeting in the bedrooms, hardwood floors in living areas, thick granite countertops throughout, custom lighting and furniture. There are 5 good sized bedrooms, including two master suites with fireplaces/views/baths and another large bedroom with pull out sofa. Very large whirlpool tub upstairs off the hallway, and another whirlpool in each of the two master bedrooms. There is a huge kitchen with open concept, wrap around bar counter and large island. There's also a second counter seating area that's part of the wet bar (also in the great room), which has its own bar fridge. The views are spectacular, and the open design means that all living spaces look out on the lake. The deck was designed with glass panels so that this view is unobstructed. There is a large table on the deck as well as a sitting area and gas grill.

The unit is connected to the pool and indoor-outdoor whirlpool (basement level) as well as small exercise room by a private stairwell. The facilities are shared with other rental units in adjacent buildings, as well as with the residents of the 3 other executive lodges. However it was never busy when we stayed in August. Since this unit is on the end, there are more windows. The whirlpool is actually in view of the deck (if you look around the side of the building) which was convenient for us when the group was split apart. Noise from the whirlpool wasn't an issue.

There is a short trail to a campfire circle right on the water. They supply wood for this each night and there are rustic benches. It is breathtaking.

My only complaint would be that there are few hangers in the closets. Oh, and no major walking trails along the water (beyond the property line). Yes, that's it. This is a pricey place, but if you want luxury along the north shore for your large gathering, you will not regret staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors
Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!