All reviews bluefish north shore bluefin grill lake superior blue fin outdoor pool hillside room grand marais wood burning fireplace master suite full kitchen our honeymoon living room on the rocks cross country guest services hot tub
Reviewed March 14, 2015

We have been visiting Blue Fin Bay with our two sons, 11 and 14 years, for over 6 years. It is a wonderful family centered resort. They provide a skating rink and outfit you with skates, or cross country outings are fully outfitted, shuttle you to Lutsen for skiing, two pools and an outdoor hot tub. But my favorite is the proximity to Lake Superior. Every unit fronts the lake, and each condo has floor to ceiling windows on each level. While the lads go skiing I stay at the condo and absorb the light off the water, crack the window a bit and hear the waves crash the shore or when it freezes over listen to the ice cracking. Stupendous! They never disappoint. If something in our room is amiss they promptly send someone over to fix and I mean they are there in under 10 minutes.

Room tip: I have stayed at them all in the 25 times we have been there. There is no bad room.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed March 8, 2015

Offers something for EVERYONE! Amazing Snowmobile Trails, Top Notch Amenities-Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, Ice Skating! Owning 3 Properties - Bluefin, Surfside & Temperance Landing..........WOW!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Vincent I
Reviewed March 5, 2015

I have been coming to the Bluefin bay for years, and it has always been such a great place to stay. The staff is wonderful, the facility is so well-maintained and well-kept, and the Bluefin Grille is one of my favorite places to eat. I will continue to recommend others to you. You do a great job at offering activities, trail guides, and entertainment to make it a family-friendly vacation as well as a nice romantic getaway. Keep doing what you are doing!

1  Thank Y3194FVkaties
Reviewed March 3, 2015

My wife and I booked a grand superior suite and brought our spaniel with us. The views from this place just cannot be beat, especially the sunrise over the lake in the morning! We crack the window at night so we can hear the sound of waves lapping on the shore. The wood burning fireplaces are a huge plus, especially in the winter time. We appreciate the free snowshoe anc cross country ski rentals! Shirley and Tammy at front desk are always super friendly and love to see our dog each time we visit. They even give her treats! Great customer service and our favorite place to stay on the North Shore. We'll be back.

Room tip: Stop by the Waves Cafe for brunch, you won't regret it!
Date of stay: January 2015
Reviewed March 2, 2015

Too good to be true? This was our first trip to Lutsen and we were hoping we would love it so much, it would become an annual winter trip for our family. A midweek ski/stay package seems like a great value, however, there are several downfalls not in the fine print as well as features at Bluefin that did not meet their marketed expectations.

Accommodations: Our accommodations were a small one bedroom studio – the small space was not an issue for us (since our kids did not accompany us on this trip). The bed was quite comfy and there were plenty of pillows, however, there were heavy brown and reddish stains on the throw at the end of the bed. Kind of gross. We took it off the bed right away and threw it in the closet. The mini fridge was an unexpected, yet pleasant feature, however, the settings were way off and our beverages froze (luckily they didn’t create a mess). The bathroom was quite large (relative to the room) with a big walk in shower and heat lamp. The heat lamp is a very nice touch! Our bathroom door knob must have been broken because it would not latch shut, therefore no bathroom privacy as the door would always drift wide open. We also had problems with the windows. They were in need of a good cleaning from the outside, but more disappointing, they fogged up during showers (partly due to the bathroom door being wide open), and then the condensation froze on the windows making them impossible to see out of. The carpets needed vacuuming as well. There was quite a bit of rock salt on the floors when we entered the room. I think housekeeping could have tracked all the salt in when they were putting final touches on the room? One of the best features is that you can park literally right in front of your room and be less than 20 steps from the door (this was appreciated in the -40 wind chills).

Features: Our deciding factor to stay at Bluefin vs. on-mountain lodging was that Bluefin has an amazing outdoor hot tub /pool area. No other lodging in the Lutsen/Tofte area have an outdoor hot tub. I cannot say enough about this. After a long day of skiing, sitting in an outdoor hot tub is sensational – something about the warmth of the water with very cold air temp above freezing your damp hair! Bluefin’s tub is open air, yet protected by glass walls/sliding glass doors (no roof) so that it is protected from the chilly wind off the lake. The disappointment is that the tub closes if it is below zero. Therefore, it was closed a portion of our stay, which was HIGHLY disappointing. Knowing it would be closed, we likely would have opted for ski-in/out lodging at Lutsen Mountain. For the less adventuress, Bluefin also has a very nice indoor pool and hot tub, however, that just isn’t our cup of tea.

Dining: I wrote a separate review of our dining experience at the Bluefin Grill (see my other review). Overall, it was quite disappointing for an upscale meal. However, I would venture to guess that our experience was not typical. I certainly would be willing to give Bluefin Grill another shot when we return to Lutsen. We did not try Coho Café, but we were told it was a nice place for lighter fare.

Service: We did not interact with staff for the most part on our trip, but when we did, they were mostly pleasant. The gal at check-in was very nice and reviewed the resort map in detail with us. We were told that housekeeping was not an option for our stay. Seems odd, but we were okay with it. We did request towels one night and they were delivered right away by a gentleman who also gave us a recommendation for good burgers at Moguls (which we tried, and liked – see other review). Bluefin also has a shuttle service to/from the ski hill. We ended up canceling our reservations for this service because it was just easier to drive the 7 miles with our gear to the ski hill.

Mid-week – ski/stay package: When we booked this three night getaway, the value seemed “too good to be true.” And it was. We skied Tues-Thurs, however, Mystery Mountain (one of Lutsen’s 4 hills) was closed the entire week. The remaining three mountains were open, however, each hill only had one lift open. That means we spent a significant amount of time shuffling/walking from the bottom of the ski hill to the one open ski lift. Had our small children been with us on this trip, it would have been a nightmare trying to get the kids to the one open lift. On the bright side, the mid-week stay gave us the whole ski hill to ourselves. I realize that Bluefin has no control over the ski hill operations, however, I do think it is important to voice these concerns since we booked as a ski/stay package.

Overall: We were disappointed with the ski/stay package. I think some of the disappointment was fueled by factors out of Bluefin’s control (cold weather shutting down the outdoor hot tub, significant portions of the ski hill being closed), but Bluefin did not live up to the expectations they stand by and market themselves as. The Grill did not have spectacular cuisine nor sophisticated atmosphere, and the accommodations were not high-end and amenities were not upscale. Regardless of who/what is to blame for the poor stay, our reality is that we paid for a disappointing ski/stay package that we desperately wanted to become our annual winter trip.

4  Thank Jake B
BluefinGM, Manager at Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on how we're doing. Your feedback is invaluable in ensuring we are providing the level of service we strive for and helps us focus on what we're doing well and any areas where we may need to improve.

I would like to respond to your comment referencing our outdoor hot tub. Our guests particularly enjoy using our outdoor hot tub during the cold winter months, however, in an area of sub-zero freezing temperatures and wind-chills, conditions can become quite dangerous at times. Management & Maintenance work together to take the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our guests in keeping the areas surrounding of the hot tub fully de-iced. When these efforts become unsuccessful, a decision is then made to close the area. This does not happen often and we cannot apologize enough for having to make this decision while you were staying with us.

In reference to the carpets needing vacuuming, after our Housekeeping Staff has completed a unit, our Quality Inspectors enter each unit and assure that it is in excellent condition for check-in. I apologize for this oversight and will address this with our Housekeeping Department and Quality Inspectors for future reference.

If you should have any further questions please contact me and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Michele Scudieri