“It's heaven”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Woodstock IL
“It's heaven”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We chose this location fully randomly via a Google search of "resorts in Minnesota"! Wow, did we hit the jackpot!

We stayed in a Grand Superior one bedroom condo on the first floor of the northern-most section. We had a full kitchen and a decent sized deck right onto the Lake.

The site is split into a north and south section along the shore right along hwy 61. The 2 sections are very near each other and are connected by a shoreline boardwalk.

Pros:
-The beauty of the location is indescribable. There was nothing but nature between our back door and the lake and we could pick our way down the rocks right to the shoreline.
-Condo was super clean and the kitchen had 110% of the cooking stuff we needed
-Giant windows out onto the Lake
-Wood burning fireplace
-Pool and hot tub are simple, but nice and the views are great
-Seriously, it's beautiful everywhere you look!
-Hotel staff is great!
-Tons of no-extra-cost activities and the staff in charge of these make it fun and painless

Cons:
-The resort is on hwy 61, so in the parking lot you can hear the traffic go by. BUT, it's a 2 lane country highway (not a super highway) and there's no noise inside the condo or on the back deck
-Food at Bluefin Grille and Coho is expensive. But very good! Cooking some meals at "home" balanced out the $ for us

Loved it!

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Atikokan, Ontario
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here with the wife as a part of a business seminar I was attending down the road in late June. Booked the room online and was very happy with the depth of the website in helping us understand what exactly we were getting for the price - the floor plans were a nice touch from the standard professionally staged photos. Checked in late and had no problems with the process; the location exudes a rustic charm that makes this area such a treat to stay at. Excellent check in service and the staff went out of their way to make sure we knew everything that was going on there and we were able to participate in, including giving out s'mores kits for the nightly bonfires on the beach.

The room was exactly as described and we had no issues other than figuring out how to work all of the different things in it, including the separate thermal heat and a/c units, as well as the damper on the fireplace (Hint: read the welcome binder!)

We ate 2 meals at the Bluefin Grille, breakfast and a supper, and the food was alright, nothing special but the value was outstanding and the portions were very generous. I ate breakfast at the Coho Cafe and enjoyed it as well. Between the food choices on site there is food available from 7am-10pm, which was great for getting on the road in a timely manner. One thing you won't get, however, is room service in before dinnertime, which was kind of a bummer.

My wife had a massage at the Waves of Superior spa and had nothing but great things to say about the sister site, as well as their restaurant cafe. The front service staff was excellent in booking a shuttle for her to get over there at 11pm the night before, which I was really impressed with, as we thought it was on the same grounds and she didn't have a car to get there. We were also able to get a late checkout (1pm!), which was appreciated.

The small "extra value" items, like the campfire, the s'mores, free water, the free activities (including a lot for families and children) and things like bikes and strollers available on site made the trip so much more enjoyable and appreciate the location even more.

We'll definitely be back, next time with the kids! Thanks again for a great stay!

Room Tip: Gotta get something lakefront, the views and the privacy are worth the extra cost!
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I have to say..my 1st time to the north and I <3 it..my room was 10 ft from lake superior. .I could hear the waves crashing as I slept...it was so peaceful..Gr8 place to recharge. .and the food..awesome ..

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I took my brother and his wife from North Carolina to Bluefin Bay to show them the best vacation destination in Minnesota....The North Shore. We were lucky enough to stay in a room overlooking the bay. The views and the weather were exceptional. My brother and his wife went kayaking and the staff and God somehow made sure an eagle flew right by their boats. Bluefin Bay has been a destination vacation for us for years and is ideal as a base for visiting Grand Marais, The Gunflint Trail, Sawbill, The Superior Hiking Trail, and just plain sitting on a deck chair looking at Lake Superior. I slept like a baby on a very good mattress with the windows cracked open listening to Lake Superior put me to sleep.
If you lodge in Grand Marais you went too far up the North Shore, if you stay in Two Harbors you have not gone far enough. Tofte, MN is the perfect distance to see all that The North Shore offers.
On top of all that you can't get better locally brewed beer than at Bluefin.
Enough said by me make sure you experience it yourself.

Room Tip: The original units at Bluefin Bay and the newer units are equally exceptional, you can be confident...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My 1st visit to Bluefin was in 2001. This was my 6th visit and the 4th in 4 years. We always get a unit with a kitchen as we like to make the majority of our own meals. This year was just the two of us but other times we've brought my kids. Even as teens, they love to come up here and get away from it all. Location is ideal being centrally located to everything we want to do. Staff very friendly & attentive. Love the additional amenities of kayaking, hiking & bike rentals. Just wish we could come up more often!

Room Tip: I personally prefer a room with a patio rather than a deck as I like walking down to the shoreline t...
MN
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We loved our stay at the Bluefin Bay Resort. Great room and accommodations. Friendly staff. Wonderful restaurant. And a view of Lake Superior that's hard to match.

We return every year to celebrate our Anniversary.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first level so you can sit on the grass near your patio.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Bluefin Bay Resort. We would have never known about it if it wasn't for our obligations to be there for a wedding I was in. The resort staff were all very friendly and helpful. The day we checked-in (we arrived way earlier than check-in time) and to our surprise, our room was ready shortly after. I was leery at first because we had to "request" a fridge in our room and there was no guarantees we would get one, as most other rooms automatically come with a fridge. We have a 9 month old, so we definitely needed a fridge to keep baby food in. I also requested a pack'n'play but we weren't guaranteed one either. We booked our room 3 months in advance, so I didn't understand why it wouldn't be first come first serve. But I did fret about the pack'n'play, as they said to call the day of arrival to see if we would be getting one. I called a midnight before we took off (left at 5am) and we were running out of room in the vehicle while packing. I was placed on hold a few times as they worked on figuring out the situation, and I did finally get a commitment that there would be one for us.

The resort was well kept and the maintenance crew seemed to always be busy working away doing your average up-keep on the property (which seems some places don't do this now a days!). New concrete was laid in front of our room the day before and the day after we left, new cabinets were being put in else where. Great to see they take good care! Our room seemed clean with plenty of towels and toiletries. Only complaint about the room is the carpet could have been cleaner. We were apprehensive about our 9 month crawling around because her hands, knees and tops of her shoes would get very gray and dingy from crawling on the carpet *gross*.

The restaurant was very close for convenience and their food was spectacular. We enjoyed every meal we ate there. It was getting really tough on the pocket book after staying for 4 days and having to buy 3 meals/day at the restaurant or cafe up the road, because the prices were spendy. The resort provides free s'mores, free firewood and lots of other activities. I would have given 5 stars if there was also a continental breakfast of some sort provided as a 4 day stay and 3 meals per day at a restaurant adds up quickly. All in all, our stay was nice and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Surfside on Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
#1 of 4 in Lutsen

Been to Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!