“Great stay all around”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Waseca, Minnesota
“Great stay all around”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We recently stayed at Surfside in Tofte and enjoyed it so we thought we'd give Bluefin a try this time around. The wood burning fireplaces are a nice amenity. We burned through our supply of wood over the weekend and the staff was quick to respond to our request for more. The kids enjoyed sitting in the outdoor hot tub after we got back from skiing and the free s'mores from the front desk are a nice touch. Really loved the North Shore decor in the room and reading the comments left in the in-room guestbook. We'll be back,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank northshorejm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Fort myers
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I'm a native Minnesotan who has lived in Florida the past 5 years. I was craving a winter vacation and Blue Fin Bay sure delivered for my girlfriends and I! Our 3 bedroom-2 story condo was warm with comfy beds and gave us great views of the partially frozen lake. Time and again my friends commented how convenient everything was: a full kitchen with no need to bring anything from home, everything to get a fire started (and directions for how to do it well), all the winter sports equipment you could want at no extra charge and a staff that patiently answered all our questions. They fitted us for snow shoes, helped us find the best groomed trails for skiing and provided great service at the bar and restaurant. When you want to experience all the best winter has to offer in the North Woods, go to Blue Fin!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Barb P
Ontario
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Bad room, bad service. Charged for meal I didn't touch and sent back since it contained allergens that I specifically asked my server (he lied) if they were present before ordering. The money wasn't the issue. Integrity was. This person could have potentially seriously injured me!! The food can best be described as bad pub food at gourmet prices.
The room had sloping floors, worn, filthy carpet, saggy mattress, cracked bathroom tiles, old dirty furniture, and a shower stall with mildew. While the "double" hot tub had a great view of the lake, it was too small for comfort, dirty, and so old it contained only 4 jets. I slept poorly as a result of the tired mattress and cold room since the heater did not work well. The shower stall was so stupidly small, I banged my elbows several times on the walls and tap. Not the best valentines I've ever had. While a beautiful location, the north shores offer many other higher quality accommodations for the same price. My advice is to avoid this outdated, overly priced dive.

Room Tip: Avoid this place. Better accommodations close by.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DrBarbOntario
BluefinGM, General Manager at Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
We take critical comments very seriously so I talked at great length with our staff about their interactions with the couple who wrote the above review. Our restaurant serves a sandwich called a Mesquite Turkey Grill. It includes sliced whole turkey breast roasted in our kitchen, provolone cheese and mesquite aioli served on spinach parmesan bread baked at our Coho Cafe & Bakery. We took it off the menu a few years back as part of a routine update. So many guests requested it that we added it back. The woman of this couple, while looking over the menu at our bar, asked if this sandwich contained "lunch meat." Our bar server assured her that the turkey is from a whole breast roasted in our own kitchen, and she proceeded to order it. Her partner ordered a steak. When the food arrived she looked inside the sandwich and, without sampling it, declared that it was lunch meat and she therefore could not eat it. Our server explained its ingredients one more time and then offered to make any other menu item to replace the sandwich at no extra cost. By this time she had begun sharing the steak with her partner and declined our offer of a replacement item. The couple spent a quite a while longer at the bar with no further comments. After receiving this comment I personally inspected the room in which this couple stayed. It was completely refurnished last year, including a new bed and new carpet. The carpet was spotless to my eye and I could not detect any slope in the floor. I will agree with the reviewer's observation that the bathroom/whirlpool tub area is in need of an upgrade. It is scheduled for a complete remodeling in May, including a new whirlpool tub and a large, custom glass and tile shower.
Waverly, Minnesota
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in September of 2011. We went during the week, so it was very nice and relaxing with no kids around! We stayed in one of the condos that are down the show aways, and we walked this long boardwalk along Lake Superior to get to the main lodge. It was so beautiful!! We had a great time at the bar the first night and had great meals in the restaurant when we chose to eat there! Amazing views from our room!!! The place is a little spendy, that is the only downside. We totally LOVED the homemade pizza they make at the cafe there! Delicious coffe and treats too! It is fairly close to all the main attractions up on the north shore. We had gorgeous weather all week, except the day we left it got cold and rainy so it was perfect timing since we were leaving anyways. Overall loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank STEPHANIE S
Ontario
Reviewed January 20, 2014

First let me start this review by saying I am a huge Bluefin fan and have been for almost 25 years and come quite regularly. I have noticed the poor housekeeping in the past in some units and made note of this upon checkout in the past to bring this to managements attention - this last visit was the worst I have ever seen! We rented a 2 bedroom unit at a cost of 380.00 per night(including taxes) for this cost I am willing to forgo furnishing that look a bit tired, but there is no excuse for dirt to this degree - the unit must have had some recent repairs as it smelled like paint when we walked in - again no worries - but the door handles were filthy, covered in drywall dust, the red carpet had foot prints in drywall dust going up the stairs, the shelves, stereo etc were covered in dust, the floor molding and carpet close to the walls have not been vacumed in months and to top it off, there were spider webs in the electric heaters, windows and beams - I know this sounds like I did an inspection - but this was so bad you did not need to go looking it was that obvious - which makes one wonder who is doing the cleaning, and who is doing the supervising of this work? I washed down the doors, kitchen and other common areas - the resort was full and I did not want to spend my time having someone come from housekeeping to try to fix this - so cleaned the best I could knowing that we were spending a few days - upon check out I waited to make these points to the woman checking us out and I specifically waited until I paid in full, so that she did not think this complaint was a cheap excuse to get a small refund - I am looking for change in resort quality - not 10% off my room charge - when I told her about the experience - I received an uninterested smile with some lame comment about forwarding the issue to others - I remain doubtful that this has happened - I am interested to see the fall comments of clean rooms - which makes me wonder if there has been a change in staff -or that these rooms have not been cleaned since October? Please management if you are reading these reviews - do something about this - for these prices these units should be clean - I would like to continue to return - but if I have to put up with these conditions I will have to start looking elsewhere - for these prices you should be able to afford to hire staff who take pride in their work

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank maya09
BluefinGM, General Manager at Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
The condominium in which this guest stayed had significant drywall and painting work done just before their arrival. A thorough post-construction cleaning process should have been done after this work was completed and before the first rental. We had a failure in communication between our resort front desk and housekeeping, which resulted in the construction cleaning not getting done. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused to our long-term guests. We will be contacting them separately to apologize in person and try to make amends.
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We've always driven by Bluefin Bay and thought it was just "too expensive" for us. But we finally went with friends this winter using an internet special, and FOR SURE, we will return and often! While the price may be a bit higher, they offer so much that you need to look at it more like a "room and activities" price. The outdoor pool and hot tub - being open in the winter - was our favorite! It snowed on us while we baked in the hot tub, which was so lovely. The boardwalk along the lake is magical, even in the winter. And because our condo was so ample - with DVD players installed, wood-burning fireplace and large game table - we stayed and played games and did puzzles in our room and ran out of time to go ice skating, enjoy the winter bonfire, swim in the indoor pool... you could also rent skis, snow shoes...LOVELY! We also got room service from the resort restaurants, and enjoyed an outstanding supper at the Bluefin Grill. Truly - it's hard to find a flaw with the resort and we will go back for sure!

Room Tip: We could only afford the cheaper one-bedroom condos, but they are really roomy and would fit a famil...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our honeymoon. What a beautiful place. Had an excellent view of the lake. Love the wood burning fireplace. Front desk is very helpful. There is always activities offered for free. The food is also excellent

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Brandon D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Surfside on Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
#1 of 4 in Lutsen

Been to Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!