“Awesome place for a honeymoon!”

Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in September of 2011. We went during the week, so it was very nice and relaxing with no kids around! We stayed in one of the condos that are down the show aways, and we walked this long boardwalk along Lake Superior to get to the main lodge. It was so beautiful!! We had a great time at the bar the first night and had great meals in the restaurant when we chose to eat there! Amazing views from our room!!! The place is a little spendy, that is the only downside. We totally LOVED the homemade pizza they make at the cafe there! Delicious coffe and treats too! It is fairly close to all the main attractions up on the north shore. We had gorgeous weather all week, except the day we left it got cold and rainy so it was perfect timing since we were leaving anyways. Overall loved it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank STEPHANIE S
There are newer reviews for Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior

Reviewed January 20, 2014

First let me start this review by saying I am a huge Bluefin fan and have been for almost 25 years and come quite regularly. I have noticed the poor housekeeping in the past in some units and made note of this upon checkout in the past to bring this to managements attention - this last visit was the worst I have ever seen! We rented a 2 bedroom unit at a cost of 380.00 per night(including taxes) for this cost I am willing to forgo furnishing that look a bit tired, but there is no excuse for dirt to this degree - the unit must have had some recent repairs as it smelled like paint when we walked in - again no worries - but the door handles were filthy, covered in drywall dust, the red carpet had foot prints in drywall dust going up the stairs, the shelves, stereo etc were covered in dust, the floor molding and carpet close to the walls have not been vacumed in months and to top it off, there were spider webs in the electric heaters, windows and beams - I know this sounds like I did an inspection - but this was so bad you did not need to go looking it was that obvious - which makes one wonder who is doing the cleaning, and who is doing the supervising of this work? I washed down the doors, kitchen and other common areas - the resort was full and I did not want to spend my time having someone come from housekeeping to try to fix this - so cleaned the best I could knowing that we were spending a few days - upon check out I waited to make these points to the woman checking us out and I specifically waited until I paid in full, so that she did not think this complaint was a cheap excuse to get a small refund - I am looking for change in resort quality - not 10% off my room charge - when I told her about the experience - I received an uninterested smile with some lame comment about forwarding the issue to others - I remain doubtful that this has happened - I am interested to see the fall comments of clean rooms - which makes me wonder if there has been a change in staff -or that these rooms have not been cleaned since October? Please management if you are reading these reviews - do something about this - for these prices these units should be clean - I would like to continue to return - but if I have to put up with these conditions I will have to start looking elsewhere - for these prices you should be able to afford to hire staff who take pride in their work

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank maya09
BluefinGM, General Manager at Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

The condominium in which this guest stayed had significant drywall and painting work done just before their arrival. A thorough post-construction cleaning process should have been done after this work was completed and before the first rental. We had a failure in communication between our resort front desk and housekeeping, which resulted in the construction cleaning not getting done. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused to our long-term guests. We will be contacting them separately to apologize in person and try to make amends.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We've always driven by Bluefin Bay and thought it was just "too expensive" for us. But we finally went with friends this winter using an internet special, and FOR SURE, we will return and often! While the price may be a bit higher, they offer so much that you need to look at it more like a "room and activities" price. The outdoor pool and hot tub - being open in the winter - was our favorite! It snowed on us while we baked in the hot tub, which was so lovely. The boardwalk along the lake is magical, even in the winter. And because our condo was so ample - with DVD players installed, wood-burning fireplace and large game table - we stayed and played games and did puzzles in our room and ran out of time to go ice skating, enjoy the winter bonfire, swim in the indoor pool... you could also rent skis, snow shoes...LOVELY! We also got room service from the resort restaurants, and enjoyed an outstanding supper at the Bluefin Grill. Truly - it's hard to find a flaw with the resort and we will go back for sure!

Room Tip: We could only afford the cheaper one-bedroom condos, but they are really roomy and would fit a famil...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our honeymoon. What a beautiful place. Had an excellent view of the lake. Love the wood burning fireplace. Front desk is very helpful. There is always activities offered for free. The food is also excellent

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Brandon D
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Took advantage of December 3 for 2 special and did an early Christmas getaway. The townhouse completely fulfilled our families needs: comfortable beds, fully stocked kitchen, and situated right on the shores of Lake Superior with the mighty waves crashing against the shore. The grandkids loved the hot outdoor pool with the steam rising as they soaked away the sore ski muscles of the day. Food at the restaurant was good and service excellent. We were blessed with an abundance of snow to make skiing excellent . Since skiing occupied our days we did not have time to partake if the skating, snowshoeing, yoga, and other leisure activities available.

Room Tip: Take advantage of off season specials to make trip more economical
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our 7th stay at Bluefin and we will continue to return at least once a year. What makes Bluefin so special? For one, the location on the North Shore is unbelievably beautiful. We've stayed in a few different types of units and each one has incredible lakefront views. We typically stay in the winter time, and the resort is close to some of the best cross-country and downhill skiing Minnesota has to offer. Beautiful Grand Marais is just a half hour away. We particularly love staying in the Grand Master Suites, which include a king-sized bed, two-person jacuzzi and fireplace. We've found some minor differences in quality between the various suites (55B is particularly nice!), but for the most part, they're consistently clean with nice and relaxing decor. We always enjoy using the outdoor hot tub. On this latest trip, we discovered the free yoga classes available on weekend mornings, which are a superb way to start the day. Over our several trips to Bluefin, we've enjoyed many meals at Bluefin Grille and Coho Cafe--both which we really like. The Grille has undergone several menu changes over the past few years, but the current menu is the best in our opinion--so good that we strangely never made it to Coho during our latest trip. We love Bluefin Bay!

Room Tip: Grand Master Suites are great for couples--we particularly liked 55B.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelBear12
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I'm from Thunder Bay Ontario and I attended my friends wedding in Oct of 2012. It was so peaceful listening to the waves with the window open and the décor is beautiful! We had a bonfire and cooked s'mores and met a lot of nice Americans. We had evening swims in the pool and there wasn't anyone there but our group so it's like we had it all to ourselves which was nice. The wedding reception itself was fun and the food from their kitchen was delicious! Their wedding photos also turned out amazing thanks to the many many different beautiful nature backdops. In the morning we ordered breakfast and it was delicious and hot! The pancakes for my friends daughter was in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head!! lol The trails and skating rink right there where we were staying. We then went back for a weekend with a bunch of folks and again had a blast! We're going to be back in the beginning of Dec! SO EXCITED!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dee J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Surfside on Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!