“Relaxing By the big lake” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior

Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Minnesota
“Relaxing By the big lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

A great place to enjoy the big lake. Room was great except for broken thermopane window seal in one of the picture windows, it's a shame anytime you block a view of Superior. Outdoor pool area is a great place to sit in a spa and look out at the lake.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Woodbury, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was my second trip to Bluefin Bay, and I really enjoyed it. To save on the budget, I opted for a Hillside Guestroom. It was a spacious and comfortable place to rest from activities or to just lounge away the afternoon. The staff was very helpful and friendly in every interaction, and made me feel truly welcome. This is a great jumping off point for many local sights and activities, and to be able to return and have a bit of luxury after being out exploring. The meals that I had at both the Coho Cafe and the Bluefin Grille were excellent. The frig and microwave in the room was a plus too. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Everything was perfectly clean and in good order. Looking forward to returning!

Room Tip: If you want a lake breeze/cross-ventilation, choose a room style that has both a lake & hillside...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

My job can be quite stressful.My stays at Bluefin have been a wonderful way to rejuvenate. The staff is great and I appreciate that it is pet friendly.I love to put on soft music,pull an easy chair up to the window and watch the waves come rolling in.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jean M
Edina, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I've stayed on the north shore numerous times but this was my first time at Bluefin Bay. We stayed in one of their most basic units, a Hillside Guestroom, and it was a great little room; comfortable bed, small refridgerator that came in handy, microwave, flatscreen TV, and several unexpected amenities.(Have to love that Caribou Coffee for the coffee maker!) Only drawback is the shortage of closet space but it was nothing we couldn't get past.
Some people might struggle with the longer walks between the units on the north end of the resort and the main buildings farther south but most will enjoy the beauty of the lakeshore along the way. For us it was a way to burn off some of the copious amounts of treats we endulged in at the Coho Cafe!
Staff was very friendly and accomodating. I liked the way that housekeeping would come by only if requested; made it much easier to relax at the room. We enjoyed the guided kayak trip along the shore as well as some of the campfire entertainment.
Bluefin is ideally located to enjoy Temperence River SP as well as Cascade SP. Hiking and exploring at both of them is great! Grand Marais is a must; several good places to eat and shop. So many things to do in the area, but our favorite "activity" was to relax on the lakeside rocks each evening and talk over a bottle of wine. Can't wait to go back!

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Great location, many amenities (indoor & outdoor pools, tennis, bikes, bonfire/s'mores...) Nice units but could use a refresh, agree with other comments about website pictures seeming more updated than the actual unit we stayed in (60A). We stayed in the nicest type of 1 bedroom unit, (don't recall what they call it) and it was fine just not as nice as expected. Perfect location in the middle of North Shore, easy to get to all trails and up to Grand Marais. Bike trail starts nearly right out the door - will be nice when it gets extended into Lutsen. Very handy small shop right across the street for food/supplies, unit had very nice and well stocked kitchen. If their website hadn't left me expecting it to be a bit more updated, I would have said it was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank stegil
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was my 4th time staying at Bluefin Bay & will be the only place we stay when visiting the North Shore. This time we left the kids at home & came alone. We just love waking up next to the lake. This year we were in Unit 17A. We always get a unit with a kitchen & make many of our own meals. We also take advantage of the Spring Fever Special & stay 6 nights. Located centrally among all the attractions, especially the hiking trails. LOVE the free rentals of bikes to ride the trails. This year we even went kayaking! Service was superior as always. It was hard to leave. We're already planning for next year!

Room Tip: Take advantage of looking at the floor plans to determine the best room for you. All have views of L...
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

This year on our almost annual vacation between spring and summer semesters, my husband and I chose to stay at Bluefin Bay. We had stayed here once before (about five years ago) and loved it. We greatly enjoyed ourselves this time as well. Both times, we had one of the Grand Superior Master Suites and used the “Spring Fever” special to make it more affordable – buy two nights, get one free. It’s the ideal room for a couple, with a comfy king-sized bed, Jacuzzi tub, real fireplace, and even a wet bar. I also love that these rooms have big closets – plenty of room for all your stuff so that you don’t have to trip over any luggage. But the best feature is the windows big picture windows right onto the lake that you can open to let in a cool breeze or the sounds of the surf. The floor plan also maximizes the view – you can see the lake from the bed, the sitting area, and the hot tub. We loved reading and eating looking out over the lake and even kept the windows open two of the nights to sleep listening to the waves. On our last day, we enjoyed a cozy fire in our fireplace. Our room this time also had a small deck, but the view from it was mainly the woods. As it was somewhat chilly and the view was better from inside, we didn’t really use it.

The resort has many enjoyable amenities. We had fun exploring the small beach and rocky outcroppings at Bluefin Cove. Rock hounds note: there are good examples of Thompsonite here. We also used one of the provided gas grills to cook up hot dogs for a couple of our meals and had some good food from the two restaurants on site (Coho Café and the Bluefin Grille). But the feature we I am most fond of is the outdoor pool and hot tub. Both were a good temperature, and it was so nice to be able to enjoy a lake view and swim at the same time. My husband also enjoyed the sauna in the adjacent building.

One of the “hidden features” (i.e., not mentioned much on their website) that I love at Bluefin is their policy of not bothering you during your stay. Housekeeping does not come by each day, but rather comes by only if you request services. While some might see this as inattentive, I love the fact that I don’t have to worry about when housekeeping might show up each day, and that there is no need for a “do not disturb” sign.

While we had a wonderful time and will definitely be back in the future, there were a few things that might still be improved upon or that future guests might want to know about:
1. This year, our Jacuzzi tub was not a standard model with a few jets in the sidewalls. Instead, there were a number of tiny jets in the bottom of the tub. This still produced plenty of agitation. However, the jets only seemed to discharge cold water. This lead to some uncomfortable sensations. Indeed, because humans have two temperature sensors (cold and warm) and hot is signaled by the firing of both of these, sitting in a warm tub with cold jets leads to the erroneous sensation of scalding water jets. Clearly, this is not ideal for relaxing. Furthermore, an automatic drying setting (a loud burst of air) occurs 20 minutes after turning off the jets that is rather startling. Overall, if you wish to use the Jacuzzi feature in your room, I’d highly recommend trying to request a room with a more standard tub.
2. The other disturbance to our otherwise ideal time was that our downstairs neighbors held a rather loud party the second evening. While we were able to drown them out with a fan I always travel with for white noise, we did have to shut our windows and couldn’t enjoy the quiet and sounds of the lake that evening. In an ideal world, guests might be able to choose to be in a quiet or a party area of the resort, but I’m guessing that would be a logistical nightmare to enact.
3. Another thing to note is that there aren’t blackout curtains in these rooms that I know of – only blinds. I loved all the natural light, and but others might not.
4. Finally, as I said, I loved the outdoor pool experience, but the pool area could use a bit of a facelift. For example, the cement is crumbling in a few places. A little renovation, and it would be all the lovelier.

1 Thank MNSasha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Surfside on Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
#1 of 4 in Lutsen

Been to Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!