“Fantastic and Relaxing Stay”

Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This was our second visit to Bluefin Bay and it was romantic and quiet- just what we were looking for. We stayed in a Superior One-bedroom condo with a wood burning fire place, a lakefront deck, a double jacuzzi...it was a fabulous. The outdoor hot tub and pool are my favorite, and the Bluefin Grille is a nice fine dining treat in the north woods. Plus on the weekends they have a outdoor fire where you can roast s'mores and enjoy the stars.

In the late fall and winter, it is quiet and relaxing, but I bet it's also a lot of fun with friends in the summer months.

Room Tip: The condos have it all. And it's worth the extra for fireplace, and lakefront porch or deck.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelingEG
There are newer reviews for Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior

Reviewed December 9, 2011

My wife and I just came back from here a few days ago, and even though we have been there before and it is a awesome place(one of the best on the north shore) we found out why they have the stay for 2 nights get one free deal.Nothing to do after two days there this time of year with no snow if your a snowmobiler or skier. The place itself is very nice for the area and the staff is very friendly but I would choose to cook your own food there or go somewhere else, if you have a kitchen since the resteruant is nothing special.All in all one of the better places on Lake superior to stay,just wait until summer!!

Room Tip: If you dont have a pet be sure to ask for a room that doesn't allow pets since half the rooms do...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We had an excellent stay at Bluefin Bay! We were there over Labor Day weekend. Beautiful accommodations, scenery and weather. The Bluefin Grille was delicious and had wonderful service. The outdoor pool needs some updating but we didn't use it. We rented bikes, enjoyed the nightly bonfires, and explored the area cliffs. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Just back from a stay at Bluefin Bay and glad to be back home. From the reservations to the room, just terrible service all around. My boyfriend and I wanted a nice, quiet, romantic getaway and this was nothing but. There was a "Girls Gone Up North" Event going on also this weekend so rooms were at a premium we guessed because when we tried to book a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub, we were told they weren't available. The day before we left on our trip to Bluefin, we checked their website and the room we desired was available but when we called we were told we couldn't book it. Puzzled, we decided to come up anyway. The room we did get was only big enough for one person, no view of the lake and no where to put your belongings.
We were upgraded to a three bedroom townhome due to water issues in the room. The issues are too lengthy to explain here. The upgrade was after we complained twice and received no empathy at all from Guest Services. We were made to feel like we were lying and undeserving of the upgrade AFTER the manager offerred it to us. Surfside Resort, their newer sister property down the road was far nicer to us even though they didn't have rooms available for the weekend. We also checked for rooms at the Lutsen Resort. Again, very warm, friendly people and they offered a discounted rate because we were "walk-ins". The fact that we actually pondered changing resorts after one night at Bluefin Bay should speak for itself.
The Bluefin Grille was very SLOW service for breakfast but dinner service was better. Mike, the bartender was the friendliest person that we encountered at the entire resort.
For an "Event" weekend - Girls Gone Up North, it was not that busy. We did not see that many groups of women. My boyfriend wanted to stay at Bluefin Bay because of the many rave reviews reviews he has heard in the past but based on this experience alone, we cannot recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MGWTraveler
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at Bluefin Bay Nov. 6-7 in a lakeside guestroom. I've always wanted to stay here but was deterred by the high rates. We finally bit the bullet and coughed up the money, with high expectations and rave reviews from family who annually vacation here. I tried to make reservations over the phone about 9 days in advance but the person I talked to seemed a little clueless and couldn't answer simple questions about reservations, cancellation policy, ect. I called back a few days later and spoke to a helpful, polite person who was very knowledgeable. The check-in went fine; I had requested an early check-in when I made the reservation and they got me into my room by 2:00 pm. We spent the afternoon in the outdoor jacuzzi while waiting and they called my cell phone to let me know when the room was ready.
Our lakeside guestroom was nice, with a fabulous view of the lake, comfortable bed and plush linens. We rented a DVD then discovered that the room didn't have a DVD player. I called the front desk to request one and within 5 min. it was delivered to the door with an offer to hook it up!
We ate lunch at the Coho Cafe and dinner at Bluefin Grille. Both restaurants are operated by Bluefin Bay and both are good. I have eated many times at Coho Cafe and the food, desserts, and coffee are great! We also enjoyed Bluefin Grill but had to laugh at how the dinner went; our server was very forgetful and brought the wrong order, wrong bill, ect...we had to ask mulitple times for things like water and ketchup but we weren't in a hurry and the food was great. I recommend the summit burger-delicious!! Nice ambience in the Grille too, however there was a loud group in the adjoining bar who were cheering on a football game with lots of yelling and hooting. Luckily this only lasted about 15 minutes.
We fell asleep listening to the waves crashing onto the rocks and woke up to a beautiful sunrise. It was quite cold in the room the next morning and the heater wasn't working. We called the front desk about this and within 5 min. a maintinence guy was at the door. He explained that they run an "off peak" system and he offered to bring a space heater if the in-room heater wasn't working.
I thought Bluefin was a bit outdated in some areas, like the outdor pool/hottub area, but I also understand this is an older property. We were very impressed with the staff, which made this property above average! We would stay here again but would probably get the least expensive room, and come in summer or early fall, when there are more things to do. We did some hiking on our own although they did offer a daily guided hike and a yoga class. Kayaking and biking would be fun to do in the summer.
I am always looking for a *deal*, and there aren't many at Bluefin, unless you want to stay 3 nights or more. I asked for a discount when making the reservation and the only discount is military 10%. It would be nice if they offered deals for locals, they would probably get more business this way-at least from me! The resort seemed fairly empty as this is the off-season. But at the end of the day, my boyfriend proposed to me so I will always fondly remember Bluefin!!!

Room Tip: I would get a room above ground level-better lake views...as long as you can climb steep steps
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank duluthchick
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The room was very nice and confortable but the highlight are the windows - both in the room and in the bathroom above the two person bathtub - facing Lake Superior.
We had very good meals in the Grill and in the Café and the shuttle service to the hiking trails is very convenient. If not for the distance from home - we live in Portugal - we would be regulars.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the lake, but there several types of acommodations, depending on the number of...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My husband and I and another couple spent a long weekend at Bluefin to celebrate our anniversaries and get away from the stress in our lives. The 2 BR unit was clean with nice furnishings and great view of the lake. We could even see the multitude of stars out our windows at night and beautiful sunrises in the mornings. We ate at the restaurant the first night and thought the service and food was very good and a good value compared to the cities dining. The front desk/housekeeping staff were friendly and responded to our requests promptly. We have stayed at Bluefin 3 times now in the Fall and Winter and look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Prefer second story units-better views from living and bedrooms and more private since people tend t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desh6621
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Surfside on Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!