“Excellent place to stay”

Surfside on Lake Superior
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tofte
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We were a group of 7 friends who rented out a 2 bedroom house on Sept 05, 2011 and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The view was spectacular, the house was beautiful and the rates were reasonable. The service was also very good.

Our stay in this hotel was one of the highlights of our trip and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Eagan
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My wife and I have been coming up to BlueFin every year for several years now and love the people and the resort. We have dragged our kids and friends as well and have made them loyal customers of the BlueFine family. SS is the "next step up" in BlueFin lvining. The units are all new and come with the latest amenities - flat screens, gas fireplace, etc. It allows you to have a more peaceful, private and serene experience of the lake with all the BlueFin attractions hust down the street. It is perfect get away for just the two of us or a couple retreat or family reunion. I can hardly wait to make it back again next year and try a different unit or check out Temperance Landings.
THANK YOU BlueFin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: End Units are the best as they have an additional balcony that looks over the water.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ConGeoFoley
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Surfside was a great place to stay and we enjoyed it thoroughly. The rooms were very nice and spacious. The food at Bluefin was great, as usual. It was quiet and there is a lot to do in the area. We would stay here again!

Room Tip: check out the on-line specials
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank KKfromCO
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My family and I first stayed at Surfside after an awful experience at Bluefin Bay (apparently same management company?) in June 2010. Surfside made up for the awful experience!

This time around (July 2011) we got the 3 room town home (same as last year)- it was around 525 (taxes included)/night- not that different than Bluefin, I might add. Surfside is VERY clean, and the views are spectacular and majestic. One downside is that they are a bit pricey. The other downside is the air conditioning and the bedding. The air conditioning works great, however, in some of the rooms (main level room) the AC blows right in your face and they use down comforters which get really hot. So, I found myself shifting from being too cold, to too hot- after one night you kind of understand what setting you have to leave things on the next night and how much comforter you really need. Despite this, it's one of two of my favorite places in the north shore.

Oh, one last thing, DO NOT order food from the restaurant at Bluefin (you can order food from your Surfside town home directly from the Bluefin restaurant)- the great thing about the restaurant is that they deliver the food to your room at Surfside- the downside is that the restaurant does not put much effort into their cooking. We ordered hamburgers, steaks, and sandwiches- let me just tell you that I've gone to some fast food places which sell better quality food than that restaurant- sadly. It was so bad that we actually decided to make our own dinner the next night- which ended up making the experience much more worthwhile.

Overall: Yes, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for- just not at the Bluefin Restaruant. ;)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AugustMN
Fayetteville, arkansas
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. We rented the two bedroom because we wanted to make sure that we had all the possible views of Lake Superior that we could get. The two bedroom is designed in such a way as to maximize the views and the view out of the huge windows is awesome. There was even a lounge chair on the second floor that provided a different view outside the floor-to-ceiling windows. The kitchen is large and very nice and the townhouse's design is very open and modern. The fireplace was extremely easy to operate and a nice amenity in the evening when it got cooler. I loved all the different porches available to sit on and look out at the Lake. The bathroom is extremely roomy and has a very nice shower. My only complaint was that the king size bed on the main floor was not very comfortable. I am not sure why, but it seemed like the head of the bed was lower than the foot and I woke up with a terrible neck ache and headache the first morning. The next night I adjusted by using extra pillows, but I think the mattress needs rotated or replaced--it didn't look like an old mattress at all, just didn't seem to be a quality mattress. The living room and dining room furniture, as well as the kitchen appliances were very nice. Overall, we will definitely return if we get the chance. The check in and check out service at the Bluefin Bay Resort was efficient and friendly. We didn't have time to use the pool and hot tub since we had a family emergency and had to check out early, but they looked very nice. There are many activities in the area that we enjoy and Tofte is kind of the midpoint on the North Shore so you can choose to go South to Duluth for a day of "city" activities, or stay in the area of the townhouse and further north for several state parks, hikes, restaurants and shops.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed March 21, 2011

A group of friends & I went to Lutsen on a ski trip. We were hoping for a comfortable stay with modest accomodations. Surfside far exceeded our expectations! The townhome was spectacular, the accomodations were wonderful, and the view was beautiful. We could not have been more pleased and highly recommend Surfside.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
evanston, il
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed in the Surfside 1 bedroom suite that is owned by Bluefin Bay. It was a birthday from my husband and was a part of the romance package (breakfast included, couples massage, champagne, etc).

The room itself was beautiful, with a 2-person jacuzzi tub and spectacular views of the lake. It was a large room with a wet bar and nicely appointed bathroom.

However, for a resort with this pricetag, we were very disappointed with a number of things. First off, the room we were in shared a building with another condo, which was on top of us. You could hear every single step they took and everytime they closed a door. I felt like I lived in an apartment again! Also, the gas-lit fireplace kept going on and off, it was really annoying and kind of killed the romantic mood. Finally, the heat was definitely on the fritz. It wasn't unbearably cold under the covers, but we had it cranked all the way up to high and it wasn't really warm in the place until the morning we left.

The service was the other part that was really disappointing. The lady at the front desk we spoke with regarding the heat was quite snippy and somewhat rude. And oddly, most of the other people we came in contact with were also quite rude. Not sure why, we were surprised by it.

That being said, the spa was nice and the Bluefin Grille was great. I'd heard great things about this place, but am sad to say that we won't be returning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bulishona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofte
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior
Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
East Bay Suites
East Bay Suites
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Caribou Highlands Lodge

Been to Surfside on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!