“Hotel and pool was great, casino not so much”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thief River Falls
Seven Clans Casino, Hotel & Indoor Waterpark, Thief River Falls
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had booked the ultimate sweet for 2 nights which seemed like a steal at 70 dollars a night. The room came fully loaded, with space, a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, big bathroom and a couch. The casino itself was not a pleasant experience. None of the games paid out. I wasn;t expecting to win any jackpots but if I lose 20 bucks in 5 straight spins wel that is just not fun. They don't have a good ventilation system either so the smoke gets pretty bad. It was also a much smaller casino then I had thought. The table game of blackjack (that is all they had there) were very unprofessional in my mind. If you have a blackjack and dealer shows ace they do not offer for you to take even money unless you ask. I have never been to a casino where that was the case. They also said they hate explaining insurance. Seven Clans casino is not beginner friendly for blackjack. They also closed down their tables early one night because of a winter snow storm. The best part of the trip by far was the water park. It was nice knowing I could spend 10 dollars and have 3 hours of fun unlike the casino. The water park includes 4 water slides, a lazy river, hot tub, sauna, pool and kid pool with kid water slides. I give the hotel 4/5 and the casino a 2/5

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dorian88

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for fun, don't go here. The employees at this place are so rude, all rooms smell like smoke. Drive a bit further and go to a better place. This place from the gaming to the restaurant to the motel, all are horrible...

• Stayed: March 2013
10  Thank Patwolo
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We had such a fun time there, compared to the last time I was there on a long weekend. There were kids climbing out of the wood work!! Playing in the elevators and running and screaming up and down the halls. I have nothing against kids but kids and casinos just don't mix!!! I swore I'd never be back. The staff were rude and unhelpful. Probably just frazzeled and worn down.
Going during the week was like night and day with pleasant, friendly , and helpful staff . Rooms were clean and set up nicely with the fireplace and comfortable furniture.
We could walk around and enjoy the hotel's lovely decor and casino. We will be back but be much more conscious of the timing with the
Young families coming to the water park.
By the way, the smoke was not bad, and a huge thank you to the staff for not one , but two battery boosts for our car.!! It was really appreciated.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank ladyofthehood
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the hotel with my daughter's hockey team. The food, staff & waterpark were great, however, I would not stay there again solely because it was extremely smoky everywhere in the hotel. They need to restrict smoking to the casino, close the casino doors and improve the ventilation throughout the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room on the first floor as far away from the smoky casino as possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Joanne G
Reviewed December 28, 2012

It's always fun to read the extremely negative reviews and wonder what completely unreasonable expectations people have and how they will absolutely dump on a place because they weren't waited on hand and foot. Our family came back for our fourth annual after Christmas visit. There are a few things that are less than desirable sure, but we are smart enough to make sure our expectations are reasonble and objective.
We take advantage of the low mid week special rate and with the free breakfasts, free waterpark passes, and other perks that are offered (and you have to search out), it's a very good deal. First off, if you come for the waterpark you won't be disappointed. It's better than anything around in the midwest other than the Dells of Wisconsin. Kids up to 10 or 11 will love it. The arcade is nothing special but still okay. The food is okay - for the rate we paid we were more than happy. The casino is alright and a little smoky. The rooms have been really clean and no issue with the beds. This last trip we were smart enough to book at the beginning of the year and got the ultimate suite with jacuzzi, patio door, fireplace, and flat screen display for $59 a night.
The only thing we see that might cause people to complain are the staff. The staff are all relatively young and are not dedicated to their jobs as a lot of young people are. If this bothers you then don't book here. If you can see past this you will have a good stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Ron C
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Ok this is a hotel review as well as a food review! My husband and i stayed here for a night because I love to swim so it is fun. The hotel room stunk like smoke (non smoking! room) and it was dirty. The food review is from 2 different instances. The first was the restaurant on the second floor we came an hour before 1:00 when the buffet was supposed to end they refused to put out more buffet food! The second was the malt shop I was appalled at the rude slow staff! The waitress was very rude asking what I ordered and said she would check on my order and went and talked to other staff!! I waited 45 minutes for a cheeseburger seriously? Nobody knew about my order even the girl who took it! The manager on duty was rude also saying it wasn't like McDonald's!! I will never waste my money or time there again!! They have lost our business.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank joesgirl21
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My two sisters, mother and I stayed here for two nights in October 2012 - we had two rooms, both which were clean. The rooms here are much larger than your average hotel room. Our room had a fireplace, couch, fridge, outdoor patio and Free WI FI.
I have a suspicion that the other reviewers are maybe a little bitter, like they spent too much in the casino or something? We had a positive experience with ALL the employees that we came in contact with. As far as the smoke, HELLO!!! It's a CASINO! What do you expect? There is no smoking in the Water park, which is also very nice. The FREE continental breakfast is more like a buffet, with hot food, rolls, cereal, fruit, etc. served in their sit-down restaurant.
I would recommend this place and plan on going back next time I'm in Thief River Falls.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family