“Wonderful stay at the William Sauntry” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of William Sauntry Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stillwater
William Sauntry Mansion
Ranked #3 of 9 Stillwater B&B and Inns
new ulm mn
“Wonderful stay at the William Sauntry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

We just returned from an overnight stay at the William Sauntry Mansion. I'll admit it, we had never stayed in a B&B before and we were a little hesitant to say the least. Our fears were totally unfounded. The owners were friendly and made us feel comfortable right away. It is a gift to make someone feel at ease when you are staying in their home. The homemade bread served with cheese and wine were a welcome touch when we arrived, and you could choose to interact with others, or have privacy in your own room. We stayed in the servants quarters. It is a large spacious very private room. The B&B was full, but we never heard any noise at all the whole time we stayed. Even when the player piano was playing at breakfast! The room had a private bath and a jacuzzi tub. There was no shower (except in the tub), which was a little difficult for my tall husband, but a small nuisance. We peeked in the other rooms as we were one of the first to check in, and while some of the others were smaller, they all looked very inviting and comfortable and we felt we would have been happy in any of them.
The town itself was lovely. We had bought sushi from the River Market Coop and brought it up to the deck at the Northern Vineyards right next door where they have wine tastings and sell wine by the glass and bottle. The deck overlooks the river (and the parking lot). We took the trolley tour and sat out at the Dock and had a drink and watched the paddle boats and Gondola rides come and go.
We had dinner at Marxx. No reservations taken unless you're a party of 6 or more. The wait was maybe 20 minutes for a table, and they were quick to offer us drinks while we waited. The food was wonderful, the service good. It was loud, but that was the atmosphere so it was no surprise.
Breakfast the next morning was served on the porch outside and was fantastic! Five courses, each wonderful and delicious.
All in all our stay at the William Sauntry Mansion was a wonderful one that we would highly recommend. We are B&B believers!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

I've stayed at a number of B&Bs over the years and generally prefer hotels. B&Bs tend to have small rooms, bad plumbing, and thin walls so you can hear everything going on in the building. Not so with the Sauntry. We stayed in the servant room and never heard a single noise, the room was large, and the jacuzzi and AC worked great. The breakfast was excellent and the proprietors friendly. This is by far the best B&B at which I have stayed.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Yades
kansas city, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

Tom and Sandy welcome you with open arms and work very hard to make your stay enjoyable. The property is beautiful and perfectly maintained. We stayed in the Servant quarters and the room was fantastic. Breakfast included 3 courses and was so filling we didn't need to eat lunch. We have stayed in a number of B & B's and this one rates with the best. If you visit Stillwater, there is no other place to stay, and absolutely no better hosts than Tom and Sandy!

• Liked — the owners
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

Arrival:
I arrived to the quaint sound of water sprays and silence. Although close to downtown (I think a six block walk), this place invites your instincts to slow down and relax. I was met at the door by the proud and happy owner, Tom, and offered to sign the quest book. The other owner Sandy (Tom’s wife) quickly and efficiently showed me how to use the main door and walked me up to our bedroom upstairs. Troy arrived separately a moment later and after checking in, we spent our first half hour in the green room downstairs where they had laid out meats, cheeses, cider, and champagne, and chatted with Tom and a couple of other happy guests.

The Joseph Room:
I thought the Joseph room was the quintessential cozy bedroom, with a spa-quality luxurious bathroom. You walk in and the room is done in hues of white and blue with a crocheted coverlet on a 125 year-old exquisitely carved solid walnut bed. Next to the bed is a comfortable reading chair and kiddy corner from the bed (in perfect view) is a striking gas fireplace. Directly across from the bed was the door to the bathroom which had a beautiful multi-tiled floor in numerous neutral hues set against a background of warm wooden walls. This is the largest bathroom possibly 12’ by 12’ with a porcelain sink, showcase whirlpool set in black granite and a deep wood surround, and a Swedish steam shower. This was the first room we stayed in and what a treat! I received an in-room hour massage by a wonderful therapist. Then we fired up the Jacuzzi jets, started the steam shower and proceeded to go back and forth. This was a heavenly experience. The steam shower had a multi-function shower head, separate body jets, rainfall, and waterfall. If you remember, bring essential oils and put just a few drops in when you start with the steam (like Eucalyptus), I eventually turned the shower to a cool mist while the steam poured out at a hot 100 degrees and I was in heaven. Crawling into bed after this experience, I felt like there was no other place on earth I would rather be. The next morning rolled around with perfect timing, and like any good game host, all I can say is, “but wait – there’s more!”

Breakfast Morning One:
Our breakfast on the first day was brought directly to our room in a very well put together basket. Tom gave a quick rapping on the door – and there it was – two piping hot plates of goodness. The meal consisted of fancy ring sausage, a delicious soufflé, some yummy breakfast thing according to Troy, orange scone, coffee (decaf for me), orange juice, and a chocolate torte that melts in your mouth and devours all of your senses at once. Honestly, it was the best chocolate torte I have ever had. (I “might” have eaten a second peace as well, and Troy “might” not know just how good this torte is. Happy Anniversary to me!)

During the Day:
Our next day actually started in the Servant’s Room. Tom and Sandy went out of their way to make us comfortable during this stay. Troy was ill so instead of sleeping in the Joseph’s room, we used the bathroom and then moved over to the Servant’s Quarters. They were having an open house of the entire Sauntry Mansion the next day which including the gymnasium/grand ballroom next door that had been separated into two buildings in 1920. We knew about the tour beforehand and planned on spending the day in Stillwater, however, he was so ill that morning he could hardly sit up, so they kept the Servant’s room closed off for most of the tour and he slept it off (a magical ability I do not have to recover in a DAY from illness). This saved our anniversary. Tom had me join the tour for free so I enjoyed hot dogs, pop and toured both grounds while I waited for Troy to recover. The house next door is the most gorgeous piece of architecture I have ever seen in the twin cities area. They have completely refurbished the grand ballroom and I felt like I was walking into a scene of one of the lavish ballroom parties from the epic novel war and peace. It was awe-inspiring and absolutely took my breath away. Wow!

Second Evening:
By evening Troy had regained most of his health and we wandered back down to the green room to enjoy a drink and snacks again. Spread along the side table was almonds, olives, different cheeses, lemonade and champagne. Several couples were checking in including one that was married the same day and year we were and another that was married that day! They called in reservations for us and we enjoyed a pleasant meal at the Dock Café. On our return from dinner we spent the evening chatting and drinking wine with a couple of guests outside. There’s something about this place that draws the friendliest most enjoyable company. We learned that the tour had a staggering turnout of 486 people. Wow! I hope they were all as impressed as I was!

The Servant’s Room:
The servant’s room is a larger, unique bedroom, similar to our master bedroom at home. It spans probably twenty feet and includes a two-person whirlpool bath in the corner across from a gas fireplace and king size bed. While not cozy and quaint (with the exception of the ½ bath), this is the kind of room you can spread out in and feel like a king. The ceiling has been cleverly coffered in wood. Included in every suite is a wall unit CD Player with several CDs. This is a very nice touch. We picked out a Mozart CD for background music while we sipped champagne in the Jacuzzi tub and watched the gas fireplace. Now if this is not romantic, I don’t know what is!

Breakfast Morning Two:
This morning we sneaked down to the main table while they brought our breakfast up, so they brought it back down for us. (Oops.) It’s very romantic to eat in your room, but the experience of eating at the grand, 12 foot table with a full group was another pleasure in and of itself! We were all very delighted with the breakfast served this morning. The plate of delicious pecan scones was passed around no less than six times, and really, this is the only scone I have ever tasted that could rival chocolate for decadent taste.. When they brought out the main course of sausage and the oven omelet, Lori was curious as to how they made this scrumptious dish. Yeah for Ramekins! The meal also included a yogurt blueberry granola, orange juice, coffee again and a baked apple torte.

The Other Rooms:
I had the pleasure of touring all of the rooms and there wasn’t a single one I did not like. A rarity amongst the picky Anna. I probably would not stay in the William room because the two bathrooms are across from it, but this room was extravagant, with a large stained glass bed frame in addition to the huge stained glass window and two full bathrooms, each with clawfoot tubs and one that is solid metal. I’m not sure they rent this room to be honest. Ellen was interesting as the bathroom makes up the old corridor that was used to walk across to the gymnasium/ballroom. The whirlpool is sunken inside this long, narrow room and the fireplace is at the very end. Also the bed has crepe hanging down from the ceiling in each of the four corners – very romantic touch. La Fuegy is the kind of room I think my mother would like, it has four elegant sitting chairs, all matched in fabric but slightly different in design, a fireplace, table, queen bed, and separate bathroom with whirlpool tub. The Beltram was particularly impressive as it had a sunken whirlpool tub in a large bay window. Another stunning fireplace and wonderful period furniture make this room a visual treat. In addition to the large whirlpool tub is a separate full bathroom with large clawfoot tub. The Butler’s Cottage has the only different size whirlpool tub – a corner Jacuzzi, ½ bath, large windows, comfortable queen size bed, and it’s own semi-private garden area.

Overall:
I hope Tom and Sandy stay and run this B&B for a very long time. These are the kind of people who should be B&B owners! They are kind, conscientious, caring, a treasure to the community and treat for every guest who gets to meet them. The mansion itself was spectacular, very period, elegant and timeless. The combination of gracious hosts and the romantic allure of the place would make it perfect for any couple or girlfriend’s getaway. So come one, come all, but not too many so I can still go - to the William Sauntry Mansion – and never mind the beautiful St.Croix River or the rest of Stillwater.

We have attached our photo's seperately

• Liked — Wonderful hosts and beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — If you stay in the Joseph's Room - Bring Essential Oils for Steam Bath
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Piratelady
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

We recently spent a weekend at the William Sauntry Mansion and our stay was outstanding in every way. Each room is charming and unique (as well as immaculate!), and all feature the modern indulgences of whirlpool tubs, in-room stereo/CD systems, among other amenities. Tom and Sandy, the propietors, are gracious hosts who are very knowledgeable about the area and who will assist in making your stay a memorable and enjoyable one. Finally, the food -- wine and hors d'oeuvres in the evening, a four course breakfast in the morning -- is outstanding and beautifully presented.

We would highly recommend the Sauntry, and hope to return soon to this gem of a place in Stillwater.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank KANDMCO
MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2006

While our stay was acceptable, both my husband and I felt that we wished we had looked further before booking.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank AValleytraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2006

This place was unbelievable. This is our first anniversary, also our first B&B. We will definitely be staying at more of the B&B. My husband surprised me with this little get away. The Sauntry Mansion was beautiful, the food was wonderful, the suites were more that I could ever expect. Thank you for a great time. We will recommend you anytime to anyone. We will be back next year about this same time.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
Water Street Inn
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
#4 of 49 in Minneapolis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,562 reviews

Been to William Sauntry Mansion? Share your experiences!