“Afternoon tea very disappointing”

Lowell Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lowell Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 100 Restaurants in Stillwater
Cuisines: American, Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2014

First of all the tea was bagged, not brewed. The 'sandwiches' were not tea sandwiches, but on round crusty cracker-like bread. The pastry was dry and obviously purchased from an outside vendor. The mushroom soup was good, but I have never been offered soup for afternoon tea before.

1  Thank MeredithMN

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Took the family on New Year's Eve. Fondue was fantastic!! Service was pleasant. The decor was amazing in the fondue room. Kids even enjoyed it! We will do it again for a special occasion!

1  Thank Cnrgj5
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The property was very intentionally dated... it felt like "the shining". cool to see but not overly comfortable to stay. We will try another property next time we are in the area.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a very old and historical building in Stillwater, which might be redundant to say about any establishment in one of the first towns in Minnesota. I live here in this city and have gone to the Lowell Inn on a few occasions with some inconsistency. However, our last meal, which was in August, which was a small wedding party, was very well executed from the elegant dining room (George Washington) to the professional service to the menu selection to the entrees themselves. The best dishes in our party were the night's special of lobster-stuffed tilapia, which was only priced at $17 and huge. Another guest ordered a perfectly-cooked salmon. I ordered the least successful dish, which was the beef Wellington, something that I thought sounded old-school for fancy cooking, but was only okay, a little boring and dry. Overall, I give high marks. I never seem to see the dining room very full, so I imagine that there is inconsistency with service and food quality. What I can personally vouch for is that the management/staff can be extremely disorganized... I made preliminary reservations to have a wedding reception there... some staff were on it and detailed and orderly....others were rude and demanding with me...but I never had a consistent single person I was working with and messages were not passed on from one to the next. I also got charged more and more for things that they "forgot" to tell me about earlier. I even eventually cancelled the party with them, and they called me one month later to inquire whether I was still interested in having the event there -- they lost the note that I had cancelled the event! Anyway, I give high marks for this meal in August, but there is some work to do with their service. I wish I could remember the one female staff who went out of her way to be kind and helpful to me -- hope she is still there!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I can't figure out which of the Food Channel investigators I should send in to help this place out!
Party of 15 family and friends , September 2013 Saturday evening.

Some of the guests were looking forward to prime rib which our hostess was told was on the menu - apparently it's never served there. Guests were disappointed and couldn't find anything on the small dinner menu that they liked. There seemed to be some rules or policy about what dishes couldn't be cooked off the lunch menu at dinner time when people asked for it. It took a valiant effort from the young lady head chef to lead the ditsy wait staff to figure out what people would like. She was still serving drinks and topping up water at the table 10 minutes later.

When the food came, it took 20 minutes between the first person served and the last person. Half of the party had finished their entire entrees before the last person was served.

Some people liked their walleye special, some didn't at all (very rich and "fishy"). Three people had steaks that were pretty much inedible and couldn't finish them.

The whole meal was disorganized and out of control.

I won't go back there and neither would I recommend anyone else to.

Note that these comments are about dinner - apparently other guests had had a great lunch experience there.