“Don't stay there unless you like disappointment...”
Review of Water Street Inn

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I see the response from the manager on a previous post and would like to say that his comment is reflective of the disappointment that my wife and I had when we stayed on July 10th 2010. The Price of the room was quoted at an alarming $270.00, WOW, I thought this was going to some fantastic place. From the minute I walked in the front door I was a little confused but still had high hopes and looked forward to what I thought was going to be a beautiful experience. This place failed on all levels. My final bill was for 329.00 and that was for one room that we were told had two beds but only had one with an inflatable mattress Tiles were missing from the floor, light bulbs were burnt out, the carpets were dirty, there were spider webs on the lamp shades, etc. etc. sorry, but the whole experience was bad. The only thing that we were happy with was getting out of there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gopherservice1
There are newer reviews for Water Street Inn

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We came to Stillwater for a romantic getaway...The pictures of the hotel are deceiving. All materials in the room are in very poor condition and are made cheaply. The carpet as well as the blankets on the beds had stains and cigarette burn holes The room is depicted as elegant but instead is terribly trashy. We paid for a package in which a "four course dinner" was included. The food was horrible, I would compare it to a bad buffet. Our second night there was a loud wedding reception below us, it was like we were at the reception, it went on till 12:30am. The bed was very uncomfortable, as was the murphy bed. I have stayed in multiple "economy hotels" which were better in quality and comfort than the Water Street Inn. Do not waste your time and money. This experience was literally the opposite of what I wanted to have for my anniversary.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank saosin85
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My wife and I visited The Water Street Inn in June of 2010. We should have looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor as most of them are accurate.

We did not have many problems with the service per se although it was lack luster and seemed void of true "service" industry standards.

The price was outrageous considering the accommodations. The rooms are large and spacious, as they were former homes for the first tenants long ago. The bed we slept on was terribly uncomfortable and my wife did not sleep a wink. The room we had was nearest to the street below so we heard the traffic ALL NIGHT LONG. If you do choose The Water Street Inn, choose the rooms farthest away from the main road leading to the hotel. It's incredibly loud and I didn't sleep well that night either.

Overall the location is great, right in the middle of downtown Stillwater, MN and close to the St. Croix River. BUT you could probably find a better place to stay in town. The Water Street Inn was uncomfortable, stuffy, and over priced. The biggest question in the review would be, would we go back? No. We will take our business elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnm416
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We visited this hotel nine months prior and were shown 3 rooms, two suites and a regular room. The regular had one bed and the suites had two rooms with a bed in each room. We held those suites because we were having more 4 people (our children, not a party) in each suit. The hotel were well informed of this and recommended the suites we held.
The family had a wedding planned for the next June in Stillwater We recommended this hotel in the wedding invite based on what we were shown and the price quoted. In total we had about 6 rooms one night and 8 the next.
When we arrived we were informed the hotel had removed a bed from each suite the week prior. They said they sent an email Wednesday (this was Friday) but they did not have our email address. They did have our phone number. Even so, we had people coming in from all over the country and where did they expect them to go. Further, the price of the rooms had increased $20 a night. To make matters worse some parties with reservations had no rooms at all when they arrived. Fortunately some people could go home for the night.
We asked to speak to a manager and they brought out a fellow who managed the restaurant. He stated he was unable to do anything for us and that the hotel manager would show up the next day. We were never contacted by the manager. I have emailed him since but he (Chuck Doughery) has never gotten back to us.
All in all, it was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. I would never recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Michael R
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. When we made reservations in February of 2010, we explained we needed 2 beds for 4 adults. The room we inquired about had a full size bed in one room, and a Murphy bed in another. We had a wedding reception there so we thought it would be good to stay there too. When we checked in, we only had one bed. They took the Murphy beds out because they were going to remodel the rooms because they were only supposed to sleep 2. My husband and I begged for 2 cots that night because we could not cancel. All I could feel all night were the springs. The kicker was that other people from the wedding stayed there, and they did not have any cots left to give them. They had a total of about 5 cots for the whole hotel. Then, we asked them about a getting a discount because we asked about 4 people and 2 beds when we called in February and they said yes, we could. Now after we check in, they said no, this is for couples only. Well, why do they offer babysitting services if they do not take families? Why do they have 2 beds if this is for 2 couples? Why would someone have a wedding reception there if families are not welcome to stay there? For $215.00, this place isn't worth it at all. We should have drove the 6 hours home. Also, there were holes in the wall, no light fixtures on the bathroom lights, shower stalls looked like they had mold on. When we talked to Chuck in a couple of days, he would not budge at all. He was very rude, did not apologize for anything, would not give any discounts, said he should have charged $100.00 more, didn't care, etc. We explained that when we made the reservations, we were told we would get the 2 beds for 4 people. And also, if they were remodeling and taking the beds out that weekend that we had reserved, why did they not contact us and give us a choice to cancel? We had no choice! By the time we got there, it was too late. He made our choice. We would have found another place to stay, that was cheaper. I have been in customer service for 10 years and I would have fired this guy a long time ago. I feel sorry for his employees. Also, I wonder if he gave the bride and groom a discount on the huge tray of wedding cake that was dropped on the floor? I would have made him deduct $300.00 off for that. Or didn't he mention that. Skip this place. Pitch a tent

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank punky022
101water, General Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2010

Their reservation was only for two people in each room. Not wanting to pay for the extra people. We are renovating the Inn and taking out some of the Murphy Beds. Any reservation that was made for more then two people are placed in a room that still has a Murphy Bed or a fold out. We are trying to stop groups from piling more people into our guestrooms, we are not a party house for them to destroy.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

This place needs to revamp everything, I booked on line for one price go to check out and again a different price more of course.Then I check my account and they also over charged me $150.00 that was not on receipt that I signed!!! Total ripoff! The food was awesome for dinner, and Breakfast the waiter made it all great guy, tipped him well.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MinnesotaSmann
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We had high hopes for this place, given that Stillwater itself is charming. The Inn itself, however, is old and run-down. The room we were in was oddly designed, poorly decorated, and not comfortable. The bed was like grandma's. Only redeeming quality was the porch we had that overlooked the St. Croix river. The restaurant / bar scene should be avoided at this place. Stay here only because it's the only thing in Stillwater really.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank harrison4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Hampton Inn & Suites Hudson
Fairfield Inn Hudson
Fairfield Inn Hudson
#6 of 8 in Hudson

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!