Water Street Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lowell Inn(Stillwater)
Quality Inn(Hudson)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe riverirish publift bridgehigh ceilingsdowntown stillwaterroom suitehistoric buildingwatch tvmain streetfireplaceballroomhistoryera
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 26, 2008

My now husband booked a room here for our wedding night. Let's just say I was underwhelmed. No room service, mold on the shower curtain, the sheets were old and thin - and in fact, the sheet is all you get, unless you want to use the itchy Walmart-quality bedspread that is on top of them. Yucky pillows, and not enough of them. Paint is chipping, wall paper peeling in the bathroom.... We were there from about 3am-11am, then promptly checked out and moved to the EXCELLENT Lowell Inn, just down the street. We were ready to pay lots more for a better newlywed experience - but the Lowell was actually cheaper than WS Inn!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nonlocalgirl
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We had an absolutely marvelous stay. The room was warm and inviting, the whirlpool was a great addition and to watch the fireplace from the whirlpool while it was snowing outside was way cool. While the facility could use a bit more tender loving care, it was clean and well kept. The staff was all very friendly and helpful.

We had the Easter Buffet and that too was great. The food was delicious and special - way better than your usual powdered eggs on a normal buffet.

We are already planning when we should return for another visit.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2008

Disappointed to find out when we arrived that the restaurant was closed for dinner. We had planned a romantic getway and looked forward to dinner or room service. Talked to the desk clerk about options for ordering food from a restaurant and was told they had menus at the desk that we could look at. Went down to look at them and the only thing they had was a phone number for a pizza joint. It was a Sunday night, and the town shut down at 6:00 p.m, so no food to be had - wound up walking to the convenience store that was less than a block away for some snacks. Not very romantic!
Here's the kicker - we had breakfast in the restaurant on Monday morning before we checked out and the waitress said that we were one of just three hotel guests! I would think that they could have picked up the phone and let us know about the restaurant situation. We could have prepared better.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoadJewel
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Please do visit Stillwater, but do a little research and you will find there are better options for your stay. I would suggest the Rivertown Inn. I wanted to stay at the Rivertown Inn, but there were no rooms available, so we stayed at the Water Street Inn.

The Water Street Inn was formerly called the Lumber Baron. We were guests of the inn a few years ago, prior to the name change. Apparently there has been an ownership change also. The attention to detail is just not there.

We were originally booked in room 318: Riverview vault suite at $159/night. Upon review of the room, (sparce and very uncomfortable furnishings), we asked to be moved. The guy at the front desk really didn't want to be bothered with our request. However, we did trade with room 218 - also a riverview vault suite.

Here are my major concerns about this property:

The front desk guy was a pain and made me feel uncomfortable. As the customer, I should have the right to let him know if I am unhappy about something.

The furniture needs to be maintained or replaced now. I don't think the furnishings were commercial quality and the chairs bottom out when you sit in them. The chairs in our room and the chairs in the lobby are that way.

The painted wood work in the rooms is chipped.

Although the bathrooms are large, the showers are small.

There is one television in the room and it is so poor in size and quality the owners should be embarassed to even have them in the room.

The drinks in the lounge are quite expensive. I think they were more money than the Marriott in Manhattan.

The elevator is verrrrryyyy slllllllooooowwwwww (and there are only 3 floors!)

This hotel has soooo much potential - but it truly needs some tender loving care. The ambience of the Lumber Baron is gone and it's very sad for me to see - this was one of my favorites.

Stay at the Rivertown Inn. You will be amazed at the decor and the friendliness of the staff. You will feel like royalty. Don't go to the Water Street Inn unless the Rivertown is full and you can't change your dates.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brenda S
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We just spent an unseasonably warm weekend in Stillwater, and stayed at the Water Street Inn. Record highs and high humidity made it uncomfortable outside, but our room was delightfully cool. Our parlor suite had very high ceilings, at least 12 foot I would estimate, as well as an adequate two-person jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace. We were a little concerned about street noise, but as the bed was in the interior room, we had no problems. Furnishings were a little sparse but tasteful. A few nits: a single garbage in the bathroom was all that was provided; my wife would have preferred another mirror, perhaps over the desk, rather than the two located in the bathroom, as it made it harder for her to get ready; the TV was quite small and not that new. Admittedly, we weren't there to watch TV, but still, an upgrade there would be appreciated. Our friends stopped by the room, and that was one of the first comments I heard. The Irish pub on the first floor featured live music both nights from Paul and Lorraine, who were quite entertaining. The patio bar and restaurant were also pleasant, with a great view of the river and lift bridge. My wife also enjoyed the easy walk to the various shops on Main Street. We will certainly stay at this hotel again on our next trip to Stillwater.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)