“Great Location not worth their full price”
Review of Water Street Inn

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
minnesota
“Great Location not worth their full price”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed 4/27/2013 for my birthday. We came across a good internet deal and our kids booked rooms also. For as late as the check in is my husband & I were the last to receive our room & we waited a long time. Had I known my review would not be top end I would have timed all the disappointments. We threw our things in the room and hit the street knowing the day was now 3/4 done. The rooms were nice but... The beds are like a generic mattress with a cheap mattress covers & very faded bedding. I won't even rate the pillows. Our rooms were nice but it was like renovating a Victorian home at Wal-Mart. Now on to dinner. We had a 8 p.m. reservation because 1 son had to work and was meeting us. There were only a few tables at this time. We were seated promptly but it seemed no one was designated to wait on us. Finally my daughter in law asked a guy for menu's some came at some point. Then finally drink orders were taken and then the wait for our food orders. At this point I decided to go to the lobby and get a replacement key for the key to my daughters room that didn't work. I finally found someone who proceeded to argue with me that we must of pushed the button on the inside so the key wouldn't work. After I had already said the other key works but this one doesn't. We did this round 3xs before he finally went behind the desk & got a replacement key. Food orders taken.. More waiting. When the food did arrive no one was disappointed in it. Once our food arrived our waitress was right on and she was so nice. We didn't leave the dining room until 10:00 if that tells you anything. A few of us went to the Pub for a few drinks & enjoy the music. Quaint, good music and service. Back to the room to enjoy the hot tub. Most hotels of this "Quality" offer something to put in such as hot tub friendly bubbles or oil, nope not here. It also sounded like a freight train. My husband refused to join me. I really think it's because he was afraid it was so loud someone would be complaining and when management showed up he'd be fully clothed. :) Breakfast when we booked was deluxe and instead was buffet which was fine. Could have offered a few more choices being it was a buffet. It did have eggs benedict which I had been craving all week expecting a deluxe made to order breakfast. Of course check out was a breeze!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank minnesota_nice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The food in the restaurant was very good,,,both dinner and breakfast. Service was attentive and helpful,
The front desk was welcoming. The room was large, not too seedy, and had a good view of the river. It was near the elevator which was not a bother but a convenience with luggage. The queen bed was not very comfortable...sleepable but a little bumpy as others have reported.
Location of the Inn is perfect...one block from the main street where all the shops that make Stillwater a place to visit...Minnesota wine(OK-), antique stores, book stores, spice shop, balsamic vinegar/olive oil shop,interesting restaurants, and bars.
There are much lovelier B&Bs in Stillwater, but most are up the hill and not as convenient to Main Street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Maple Grove
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I thought the room was beautiful and had an old historic feel to it. All the girls that stayed the night thought the room was amazing. We would def do it again - hopefully soon. The only thing I would change is the price of the room... a little spending for a small town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Waseca, Minnesota
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A group of us rented several rooms this past weekend, and the property and atmosphere was nice. Our rooms were clean, and each room had it's own unique character. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were ridiculously lumpy: honestly the sorriest excuse for a pillow I have ever seen.

The service was TERRIBLE, both at the front desk and at dinner. The staff is overall very friendly, when you can find someone. Shortly after I checked in, another guest walked in on me unpacking: the front desk actually booked them into my room and gave them the keys. Another person in my group was given keys to two different rooms. A third person in my group was given a key that didn't work, and when they asked for a different key, the front desk argued with them for several minutes rather than simply apologizing and providing a different key. Our dinner service wasn't any better. We waited over ten minutes for menus, another ten minutes for drinks, at least another ten minutes before our orders were taken. I must note that it was not at all busy, and there were only a half dozen tables had people at them. The food was really good when it finally came. When we received our bill, there were extra items on our bill that weren't supposed to be there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cody M
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The location of the Water Street Inn is great and the rooms have a lot of potential but have not been maintained. We paid about $190 for the room on a weeknight and were given a corner room facing the road. The hotel missed an opportunity to impress us since the hotel was almost empty, so I was surprised that they didn’t upgrade us to a river view room.
The room at first glance was very nice but it quickly became apparent that they are not investing in maintaining the rooms. Simple things to fix like peeling wallpaper loose tiles in the bathroom and worn out faucets were long overdue for repair. In one spot, they actually used Scotch tape to try and fix the wallpaper!
They also claim to be a Bed & Breakfast, which they are not. There was no breakfast included with the room, but they did say they had coffee in the lobby. I just can’t see how that qualifies as a B&B. Don’t be fooled if you’re looking for a B&B experience, go elsewhere.
The location is good and it has a lot of potential, but the price is high and it’s a rundown.

1 Thank Steve V

Travelers are raving about these Stillwater hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight this past weekend as part of a internet group deal. The room we stayed in facing Water Street could use a little updating. The bed was lumpy, the TV was small, and the pillows were very uncomfortable. I ended up using a blanket as my pillow. I must say that most of the staff was real friendly, but the waitress we had for dinner seemed to go out of her way to avoid us. It took 45 minutes before we even got our salad, and that was after having to flag down another waitress to check on that for us. She acted like we weren't even there, which I thought was very unprofessional, not to mention VERY frustrating.

1 Thank PaulQ1961
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed one evening on Sat.4/20/13, Room 319. We had a fantastic time!. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Regarding the room decor, we knew what we were getting into. Lots of space, high ceilings, comfy bed. The room was clean, but maybe in some need of upkeep. The little Irish bar downstairs was a lot of fun. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Royal Inn - Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
#3 of 8 in Hudson
Comfort Suites Hudson

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!