“Could be so much more...”
Review of Water Street Inn

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great city, great location, so much to see and do in the area. But until these owners realize the amazing potential of this Inn, find another place in Stillwater to stay. I would give a bad rating based solely on the bed and pillows. My wife and I actually hurt all night and hardly slept. We've never slept on a bed that bad in our lives. We're smaller people, and I haven't ever been on a bed that hard and at the same time that sagged so far under so little weight. And the pillows made my head sore. This place could be so much more than it is. All that said,we both agreed that the food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast was very good and the staff did a fantastic job during our meals.

1  Thank rickall23
101water, Front Office Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

We have the My Pillow on all our beds and have heard from guests how great they are. Glad you enjoyed the food in the our restaurant and our Great City.

There are newer reviews for Water Street Inn

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went as a "marriage getaway" spending one night and taking advantage of supper and breakfast on either end. The food was very good, everything from the appetizer to the dessert. The service was also very good be it in the restaurant, at the front desk, or when we called down to get a bucket of ice (no ice machines on each floor so they bring it to your room). The hotel certainly has a historic flavor to it and so guests should not expect contemporary niceties, although it did have WiFi and the jettub in the huge bathroom was a treat. Our room also had a gas fireplace which cozied up the room that much more. One downside, which I hesitate to even mention because it's rather uncontrollable from the hotel's standpoint, is that our room (#222) was alongside a road that was rather busy in the morning and so the sound of traffic was evident. My wife doesn't mind that sort of thing, actually finding it lulls her to sleep. I on the other hand was thankful for our portable, travel-size white noise machine. All in all, the Water Street Inn is a great getaway for couples. I wouldn't think it would be good necessarily for families though.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the kind words, I will pass along your compliments to the restaurant staff.
We are looking forward to the new bridge being built down the river, after that our bridge becomes a bike trail.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you enjoy historic buildings this is a great hotel to enjoy with tall ceilings and the feel of the past. The hotel was not at all busy and all the staff was very helpful. Don't expect the modern amenities that newer hotels offer but enjoy the presence of the past. I got a great deal with groupon that included the room, a 3 course dinner and breakfast. I think this is best for couples. My steak was excellent but my husband's walleye was not. They offered to keep our leftover food in their refrigerator since there isn't any in the room.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room on the second floor and could see both the street and river. The fireplace...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
101water, Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you, hope you can come back and enjoy our Inn in the summer time.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I went here for a romantic getaway. We could not have been happier! The room was beautiful and HUGE! The ambience was the best! Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in one of the cheaper rooms. The building is old and historic and quite charming. We really enjoyed the fireplace and Jacuzzi in the room. The bathroom needed some cosmetic attention, but not enough to deter our stay by any means. The tall ceilings were neat, as well as the old fashioned bed (which was very comfortable). The restaurant was slightly disappointing. The food portions, although tasty, were a little small for the money paid. The bar (Charlies Pub) was very nice with a good beer selection and an EXCELLENT whisky selection. All in all I would recommend the hotel.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This venue seems to run the gamut in the reviews, with almost equal numbers loving and hating it. My wife and I stayed here for New Year's Eve, with the 5 course dinner, celebration in Charlie's Pub for ringing in the New Year and the Brunch Buffet the next morning. We had a fabulous time.

The location of the hotel is perfect for hitting all the cute shops and boutiques in downtown Stillwater. Even in the cold, we enjoyed a brisk walk around downtown to window shop and see the eclectic fare available.

We arrived an hour before the 4pm check-in time, but were allowed to check-in and go to our room. We relaxed in a beautiful, spacious, well furnished room with quaint 'antique' furniture and a nice gas fireplace. The view of the St. Croix River was fabulous. We enjoyed the complimentary bottle of Champagne before heading down for dinner.

The dinner was excellent, well presented with perfect portion sizing. If there was a down side to the experience, it would be the service at dinner. While acceptable, our server was not outstanding and appeared to be somewhat overworked, covering too many tables. With that said, each course was served timely and everything was hot (or cold if needed) when served. By the way, they have a great wine selection, too.

After dinner, we headed to Charlie's Pub for some celebration awaiting midnight. The music was great, the performers very personable and they really got the joint rocking Irish style! At midnight we had the obligatory noise makers and a complimentary glass of Champagne. We made some new friends and had a great time enjoying the festivities.

We then retired to our room and enjoyed a relaxing whirlpool bath before climbing into the old fashioned poster bed. We found the mattress to be very comfortable and no problem sleeping at all. (and no ghosts bothered us).

The next morning we headed down to the dining room for the Brunch Buffet. Another outstanding presentation of fresh fruit, assorted sweet rolls, egg dishes (scrambled and Benedict), potatoes, bacon, sausage, French Toast, salads and several meat items as well as two or three cake items for dessert. Everything we tried was deemed very good to excellent.

Some may not have had as good an experience as we did, but this was our second New Year's Eve here, and this visit was even better than the previous stay. We will definitely make a point to return, probably in the summer, to again enjoy the beauty and charm that Stillwater and the Water Street Inn have to offer.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, river side are quiet with a great view
1  Thank swatsp0p
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a work convention and I must say it was an interesting experience. The building is obviously old and historic--that being said it is outdated but what do you expect? I would not give a lower rating based on this--it was actually a cool feature. My concern was of a different nature. I stayed in room 205 and a colleauge stayed in room 215 (?-the room right across from the coke machine on the second floor). The first night I was there all was fine. Second night...fine. Third and Fourth nights..well... I woke up on the third night at 1:33am to the sound of voices. I initially thought it was coming from the rooms around me and tried to look in the hallway and even put my ear up to the wall. Nothing. I finally realized it was coming from my bathroom. That was odd so I went back to bed in hopes of getting some sleep. Suddenly the shower randomly turns on. Very strange. I got up, turned it off, went to bed. Then while laying in bed I noticed a light was turning off and on and reflecting into my room but could not figure out where it was coming from. So I got out of bed again and went to the window to realize that the light on the side of of the building was flicking on and off. Not in any pattern or consistency. Now I will say again...this is an old building. There could easily have been a short in the light...I could have been tired and maybe imagined the voices...and the shower may have had some sort of issue I was unaware of. Needless to say the next day at the convention I said nothing to my co-workers because there's no way I wanted to seem like a freak. Then night four comes...at 1:03am...it all started again. Only this time...the alarm clock continued to go off...and I purposefully shut it off. Finally the next day I had to ask if anyone else had had any issues. My friend in room 215 was clearly spooked and said that he had furnace issues to the point of the room turning super cold and his door wall closed right in front of him. He didn't get a ton of details as I'm sure he felt as foolish as me but it was interesting to say the least. When I got home I Google searched the hotel's name and a brief blip came up about a Confederate Soldier maybe lingering in the hotel. I'm not saying I believe in ghosts but this was truely an odd experience.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep...not 205
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MegzT0115
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Hampton Inn & Suites Hudson
Fairfield Inn Hudson
Fairfield Inn Hudson
#6 of 8 in Hudson

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!