“Charming Inn”

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I went here for a romantic getaway. We could not have been happier! The room was beautiful and HUGE! The ambience was the best! Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in one of the cheaper rooms. The building is old and historic and quite charming. We really enjoyed the fireplace and Jacuzzi in the room. The bathroom needed some cosmetic attention, but not enough to deter our stay by any means. The tall ceilings were neat, as well as the old fashioned bed (which was very comfortable). The restaurant was slightly disappointing. The food portions, although tasty, were a little small for the money paid. The bar (Charlies Pub) was very nice with a good beer selection and an EXCELLENT whisky selection. All in all I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This venue seems to run the gamut in the reviews, with almost equal numbers loving and hating it. My wife and I stayed here for New Year's Eve, with the 5 course dinner, celebration in Charlie's Pub for ringing in the New Year and the Brunch Buffet the next morning. We had a fabulous time.

The location of the hotel is perfect for hitting all the cute shops and boutiques in downtown Stillwater. Even in the cold, we enjoyed a brisk walk around downtown to window shop and see the eclectic fare available.

We arrived an hour before the 4pm check-in time, but were allowed to check-in and go to our room. We relaxed in a beautiful, spacious, well furnished room with quaint 'antique' furniture and a nice gas fireplace. The view of the St. Croix River was fabulous. We enjoyed the complimentary bottle of Champagne before heading down for dinner.

The dinner was excellent, well presented with perfect portion sizing. If there was a down side to the experience, it would be the service at dinner. While acceptable, our server was not outstanding and appeared to be somewhat overworked, covering too many tables. With that said, each course was served timely and everything was hot (or cold if needed) when served. By the way, they have a great wine selection, too.

After dinner, we headed to Charlie's Pub for some celebration awaiting midnight. The music was great, the performers very personable and they really got the joint rocking Irish style! At midnight we had the obligatory noise makers and a complimentary glass of Champagne. We made some new friends and had a great time enjoying the festivities.

We then retired to our room and enjoyed a relaxing whirlpool bath before climbing into the old fashioned poster bed. We found the mattress to be very comfortable and no problem sleeping at all. (and no ghosts bothered us).

The next morning we headed down to the dining room for the Brunch Buffet. Another outstanding presentation of fresh fruit, assorted sweet rolls, egg dishes (scrambled and Benedict), potatoes, bacon, sausage, French Toast, salads and several meat items as well as two or three cake items for dessert. Everything we tried was deemed very good to excellent.

Some may not have had as good an experience as we did, but this was our second New Year's Eve here, and this visit was even better than the previous stay. We will definitely make a point to return, probably in the summer, to again enjoy the beauty and charm that Stillwater and the Water Street Inn have to offer.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, river side are quiet with a great view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swatsp0p
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a work convention and I must say it was an interesting experience. The building is obviously old and historic--that being said it is outdated but what do you expect? I would not give a lower rating based on this--it was actually a cool feature. My concern was of a different nature. I stayed in room 205 and a colleauge stayed in room 215 (?-the room right across from the coke machine on the second floor). The first night I was there all was fine. Second night...fine. Third and Fourth nights..well... I woke up on the third night at 1:33am to the sound of voices. I initially thought it was coming from the rooms around me and tried to look in the hallway and even put my ear up to the wall. Nothing. I finally realized it was coming from my bathroom. That was odd so I went back to bed in hopes of getting some sleep. Suddenly the shower randomly turns on. Very strange. I got up, turned it off, went to bed. Then while laying in bed I noticed a light was turning off and on and reflecting into my room but could not figure out where it was coming from. So I got out of bed again and went to the window to realize that the light on the side of of the building was flicking on and off. Not in any pattern or consistency. Now I will say again...this is an old building. There could easily have been a short in the light...I could have been tired and maybe imagined the voices...and the shower may have had some sort of issue I was unaware of. Needless to say the next day at the convention I said nothing to my co-workers because there's no way I wanted to seem like a freak. Then night four comes...at 1:03am...it all started again. Only this time...the alarm clock continued to go off...and I purposefully shut it off. Finally the next day I had to ask if anyone else had had any issues. My friend in room 215 was clearly spooked and said that he had furnace issues to the point of the room turning super cold and his door wall closed right in front of him. He didn't get a ton of details as I'm sure he felt as foolish as me but it was interesting to say the least. When I got home I Google searched the hotel's name and a brief blip came up about a Confederate Soldier maybe lingering in the hotel. I'm not saying I believe in ghosts but this was truely an odd experience.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep...not 205
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MegzT0115
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This place is wonderful but you do have to know some specifics to really enjoy your stay. It building is an old renovation as evidenced by the 12-foot ceilings in the rooms. The rooms are very large and each done in it's own theme, but staying with the old style themes. However, if you want peace and quite be sure to get a room on the top floor. They did not put much, if any, noise dampeners between the floors or rooms so the sounds (and noise) from other rooms echos throughout. The other "watch out for" is to be sure to ask for a room with a soft bed. The bed we had was almost 3 1/2 feet off the floor (old style) but was extremely hard and mounded high in the middle. Definitely the hardest bed ever in my years of travel. Overall, the balcony view of the river and the stay was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, facing the river, with a soft bed room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank glass_man111
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I made reservations in September for New Year's Eve (I actually wanted to stay in September because Stillwater is our anniversary destination but since they were booked we decided to get a Vault room for New Year's Eve at the suggestion of a friend)

With the new year approaching, I received email/bill from Water Street saying I owed them $160 (I had already confirmed and paid $153 for the room) for a New Year's Eve Package that included dinner, champagne and chocolates, and breakfast. I emailed them back saying, "No thank you, we made other plans that night", as we had made plans to eat at Marx restaurant. In addition to the email, I called and inquired about this new fee. They told me I was required to buy the package or cancel my reservation. I told them I would discuss it with my boyfriend and would get back to them. Three hours later, I received an email canceling my reservation! I called that night and reinstated it and emphasized that I did not want to get double billed, which I did.

I emailed the Manager about this poor service and he said it was he who cancelled my reservation after my "No thank you" email. He also told me he would not refund me because he didn't see any double billing. I ended up canceling the entire thing. I will never stay at the Water Street after this. No one seems to care about the quality of service that is given and apparently reservations can be cancelled with a simple "No thank you" to a $160 dining package that guests are forced to buy in order to stay on New Years. As someone who has worked in hotels, restaurants, catering businesses and the like, the service the Water Street has to offer is sub par and not worth the hassle.

Room Tip: Find another hotel that cares about its' guests.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachelle L
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Lovely room, however the scheme of the room was too inconsistent; beautiful, old amenities mismatched with new, run-of-the-mill fixtures. Front desk was very helpful upgrading our room to overlook river. The lobby was very unimpressive. Ice service was prompt. Dinner menu was extremely over priced, as was brunch buffet. Service was quite unprofessional, unfortunately.
Nonetheless, location was capital. Room was large and comfortable. Bed was cozy. Fireplace was a great attribute to room. We will consider returning.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Chris H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
2 mi away
The Saint Paul Hotel
The Saint Paul Hotel
#4 of 16 in Saint Paul
Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!