“An absolutely wonderful getaway”
Review of Water Street Inn

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, MN
“An absolutely wonderful getaway”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We had an absolutely marvelous stay. The room was warm and inviting, the whirlpool was a great addition and to watch the fireplace from the whirlpool while it was snowing outside was way cool. While the facility could use a bit more tender loving care, it was clean and well kept. The staff was all very friendly and helpful.

We had the Easter Buffet and that too was great. The food was delicious and special - way better than your usual powdered eggs on a normal buffet.

We are already planning when we should return for another visit.

• Liked — The whirlpool and fireplace really made the room out of the ordinary.
  • Disliked — There really wasn't anywhere to put things in the bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed February 6, 2008

Disappointed to find out when we arrived that the restaurant was closed for dinner. We had planned a romantic getway and looked forward to dinner or room service. Talked to the desk clerk about options for ordering food from a restaurant and was told they had menus at the desk that we could look at. Went down to look at them and the only thing they had was a phone number for a pizza joint. It was a Sunday night, and the town shut down at 6:00 p.m, so no food to be had - wound up walking to the convenience store that was less than a block away for some snacks. Not very romantic!
Here's the kicker - we had breakfast in the restaurant on Monday morning before we checked out and the waitress said that we were one of just three hotel guests! I would think that they could have picked up the phone and let us know about the restaurant situation. We could have prepared better.

• Liked — The Victorian theme
  • Disliked — No table/dinette
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoadJewel

Travelers are raving about these Stillwater hotels

St Cloud Minnesota
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Please do visit Stillwater, but do a little research and you will find there are better options for your stay. I would suggest the Rivertown Inn. I wanted to stay at the Rivertown Inn, but there were no rooms available, so we stayed at the Water Street Inn.

The Water Street Inn was formerly called the Lumber Baron. We were guests of the inn a few years ago, prior to the name change. Apparently there has been an ownership change also. The attention to detail is just not there.

We were originally booked in room 318: Riverview vault suite at $159/night. Upon review of the room, (sparce and very uncomfortable furnishings), we asked to be moved. The guy at the front desk really didn't want to be bothered with our request. However, we did trade with room 218 - also a riverview vault suite.

Here are my major concerns about this property:

The front desk guy was a pain and made me feel uncomfortable. As the customer, I should have the right to let him know if I am unhappy about something.

The furniture needs to be maintained or replaced now. I don't think the furnishings were commercial quality and the chairs bottom out when you sit in them. The chairs in our room and the chairs in the lobby are that way.

The painted wood work in the rooms is chipped.

Although the bathrooms are large, the showers are small.

There is one television in the room and it is so poor in size and quality the owners should be embarassed to even have them in the room.

The drinks in the lounge are quite expensive. I think they were more money than the Marriott in Manhattan.

The elevator is verrrrryyyy slllllllooooowwwwww (and there are only 3 floors!)

This hotel has soooo much potential - but it truly needs some tender loving care. The ambience of the Lumber Baron is gone and it's very sad for me to see - this was one of my favorites.

Stay at the Rivertown Inn. You will be amazed at the decor and the friendliness of the staff. You will feel like royalty. Don't go to the Water Street Inn unless the Rivertown is full and you can't change your dates.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poorly furnished
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brenda S
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We just spent an unseasonably warm weekend in Stillwater, and stayed at the Water Street Inn. Record highs and high humidity made it uncomfortable outside, but our room was delightfully cool. Our parlor suite had very high ceilings, at least 12 foot I would estimate, as well as an adequate two-person jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace. We were a little concerned about street noise, but as the bed was in the interior room, we had no problems. Furnishings were a little sparse but tasteful. A few nits: a single garbage in the bathroom was all that was provided; my wife would have preferred another mirror, perhaps over the desk, rather than the two located in the bathroom, as it made it harder for her to get ready; the TV was quite small and not that new. Admittedly, we weren't there to watch TV, but still, an upgrade there would be appreciated. Our friends stopped by the room, and that was one of the first comments I heard. The Irish pub on the first floor featured live music both nights from Paul and Lorraine, who were quite entertaining. The patio bar and restaurant were also pleasant, with a great view of the river and lift bridge. My wife also enjoyed the easy walk to the various shops on Main Street. We will certainly stay at this hotel again on our next trip to Stillwater.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevator was way out of the way
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
River Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 22, 2007

First off, Stillwater is a great place to visit! It has so much charm and history to it, if you want to know more, take the trolley tour! The hotel is in a great location, but there are noise issues with the good location.

The hotel is old - don't think you're staying at a new hotel that just looks old. The older decor didn't bother me, because that is what this place is, an old historic building.

The customer service at the front desk is definitely something to be desired. We were at the desk the morning following our stay when a voice out of no where says...'Are you checking out?' We thought God Himself was talking to us. Suddenly a man appears from behind the glass after we replied yes. I'm not sure who this gentleman was, owner or not, they need someone a bit friendlier.

The waitstaff all seemed very friendly. The food was delicious! We had a dinner package which included breakfast brunch the next day. Very good, but dinner service was really slow. It took almost 45 minutes to get just our salads. They were serving two weddings, but it seemed as if their restaurant suffered because of this.

Our room was #201 - avoid it at all costs! It was a second floor corner suite. There was a wedding dance in the banquet room right below our room and the patio bar/restaurant right to the side of us. By the time we got back from dinner and were settling in, we realized how much noise these two things were putting off. I think the DJ was directly below our room, so we heard thumping music all night. The patio off to the side, I think, emptied beer bottles every hour into the garbage, because I would awake to the crash of glass every once in awhile. It was a terrible nights sleep!

All in all, it was great to get away, but I can sleep better at home!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gidge89
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 14, 2007

My wife and I booked the Water Street for our wedding and reception almost two years ago today. We very nearly booked out the entire hotel with our guests. We heard not one complaint from anyone that stayed in the hotel. All were impressed with the accomodations and were delighted that we had chosen the location. My wife and I are now going to stay there tomorrow evening for our two year wedding anniversary and so far the hotel has been most wonderful in making any and all special arrangements that we have needed. I would give the hotel an excellent, but the street noise is a bit much at times (though not nearly the unbearable cacaphony that everyone makes it out to be!). If you want a wonderful romantic destination, look no further than the Water Street Inn. I have stayed at several B&Bs in Stillwater, but none compares to the Water Street in my opinion.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The street noise.
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed May 14, 2007

My finace and I stayed at the Water Street Inn to celebrate my promotion at work. We love Stillwater. So we took an extra day off and made our way to Stillwater. We had dinner at Marx. Excellent. Then we walked over to the Water Street Inn. They gave us a choice of either being on the river or on the street. We asked if we could look at the rooms and they were very accomidating. We saw a room on the corner facing the bridge. It was nice and very large. The only complaint we had was that with the windows there was a ton of traffic noise. We also looked at a room facing the river down the hall. We loved it. My only complaint was about the tv being in the other room. I guess that complaint was put to rest when we realized that we wouldn't be needing the tv ;).
We enjoyed ourselves very much.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Royal Inn - Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
#3 of 8 in Hudson
Comfort Suites Hudson

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!