“Ok, not great”

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I spend a weekend in Stillwater and wanted the experience of the 'old town charm' but didn't like the idea of a bed and breakfast. The location is great and there is free parking. However, the bed was incredibly uncomfortable so we left feeling more tired than when we came. The TV armoir was in serious need of repair as well. The fireplace was a nice touch, but there was no way we were using the whirlpool tub.

We also had brunch at the restaurant downstairs and left a lot to be desired. The food was cold and overall very bland, with inattentive wait staff and a teenager male host that was inaudible because he was so softspoken you couldn't hear him.

Overall it as ok.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here recently for a family wedding, and while there I broke my foot. The staff, especially Kevin on the weekend overnight shift, but all of the more experienced staff, were tremendously kind and I had to be convinced by them to call to ask to be taken down to the lobby/restaurant/bar area, as I didn't want to be a bother at busy times. The manager brought in a wheelchair for me from on his own volition. If I needed ice or anything else, even at a time when it was no longer being "served," I had it. It is true that the rooms are dark, and much of the furniture needs replacement, as well as the bath storage areas and fixtures as well. The function and wedding areas are pleasant and the views from the suite are lovely across the river from the terrace. The food portions were huge and very good for the type of food served. The waitress in the bar (I forgot your name, but you are studying to be a nurse), was friendly and enjoyable. Housekeeping could do a more through job and one day I had to ask them to do so. One shouldn't have to ask this. Another elevator would be helpful. I had a wonderful time, even with my accident, and the wedding reception was great fun. I tend to leave honest reviews, so despite the kindness shown to me and the memorable time I had, there are areas to improve. But thank you and please wish the staff I got to know well from me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I dropped by the Water Street Inn to view the rooms as my husband and I were deciding where to stay for the night. I ran away from this place as fast as I could. The man at the front desk trustingly gave me keys to two rooms so that I could take a peek. In both, the carpet was soiled and very worn. The furniture is old and scratched. The door jams were dirty. The bathroom tiles in one of the rooms was all cracked. It's musty and dirty from lobby to room. And the lobby is dark and uninviting. It may be historic, but it's not charming and elegant, it's just old. It's time for a good makeover.

Room Tip: I looked at a standard and a suite and both were disgusting.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gatormom33
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our experience along with many family & friends was SPECTACULAR in every way at this Inn!!!
The reception area was so elegantly decorated & breath taking and all thru the evening the staff
were so very personable & accommodating to all the guests.... The appetizers & menu selections were excellent & plentiful from start to finish with OOOHHHSSS && AAAHHHSS
from all the guests who enjoyed their time immensely @ this Inn along the St. Croix Riverway!!!
The rooms were so very spacious, clean, quiet & Victorian style with beautiful views of the water front area ****

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We held a board meeting at the Water Street Inn with about 30 people, most of whom stayed at the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable. This isn't an antique filled inn but it is clean and charming. We had two banquet style meals with good food and good service. I want to come back with my wife for a mid week getaway!

Room Tip: If the view is important, ask for the river side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan43292
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were visiting friends in Stillwater and looked forward to staying downtown, on the river, and, at $250 a night, expected great accomodations. After all, the pictures and description of the place made a great impression. To our great disappointment, the room and the Water Street Inn turned out to be really bad news. The room was a "suite," with a windowless bedroom at the rear and dark. The front room was kind of dreary even with the fireplace and Jaccuzi (that's right, right in the front room). The lighting was depressing - 40 watts everywhere. The bedroom was even darker because of the dark green wallpaper. Located everywhere were cheap, old furniture and cheezy Walmart pictures. The top of bedroom table, on which was located an inoperable phone (three requests to replace it were never successful) was not attached to the rest of the tableand constantly in danger of getting knocked off. There was no closet, only a two foot wide alcove with about five hangers. The shower caddy was cheap plastic and continually fell forward to rest on the shower head. There was a small wooden shelf meant to hold all your bathroom items, and it was inexplicably placed about five feet above the toilet (which had a ring around the inside water when we arrived), and the shelf had a screw half-way screwed into the bottom and at an angle (??). Very strange. The whole room was kind of dirty, and it was particularly noticeable when you looked under the bed and couch. The rest of the "Inn" gave you the same impression. All this was disappointing, but not as much as the impossible noise level on Saturday night, when a weddiing reception right below us kept the decibel level hovering around 100 from 8 to midnight. Needless-to-say, there was no sleep until well after this was over. I hate to call the place a dump, and some of the other rooms seemed to be brighter and were maybe a little quiter, but based on my experience, I was left with the distinct feeling that I had stayed at a dump for two nights. I am not usually inclined to be overly critical of places that at least try to create a good experience for guests, but the Inn seems to be run by a real cheapskate, someone who resents spending anything more that absolutely necessary to keep the doors open.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert P
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at the Water St. Inn in July for a wedding. Booked a parlor suite with a rollaway because we needed 3 beds, but when we checked in, the front desk clerk had moved us to a standard 2-bedded room, and insisted that no rooms would sleep three people. I had to fight to get our original room. A good part of the parlor was taken up by a jacuzzi that seemed out of place in a Victorian themed room. The bathroom was large but had a lot of wasted space; the tub/shower curtain was not long enough to reach the walls of the tub, meaning the floor was flooded when anyone took a shower. The old armoire in the bedroom was missing a drawer bottom, rendering that drawer useless. Carpets were worn and shabby. Sorely in need up updates, or at least a $3 shower curtain from Target!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 513Pat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Stillwater
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Hampton Inn & Suites Hudson
Comfort Suites Hudson
Holiday Inn Express Hudson-I-94

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!