“Nice place, cool pub, rooms...? Could be better.”
Review of Water Street Inn

Water Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I wanted a nice place to stay in downtown Stillwater, so it would be close to the bars and antique shops. The staff was friendly and the room was clean, BUT... it's old. And yes, the hotel is supposed to be "old fashion" in decorating, but the furnishings left much to be desired. For $139 a night, I expected more. The whirlpool tub was in the room and that was nice, but the carpet was cheap and thin. The wallpaper was old and peeling in some places. One thing that was very strange was that the mattress didn't fit the bed frame and the comforter was lumpy! Again, though, it was clean.
One up side is that the pub downstairs is really cool! I love that they have actual Irish beer on tap (Smithwicks, Harp, etc...).
Basically, if you're looking for a clean place to sleep, the Water Street Inn has it covered. If you're looking for something cool, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has the whirlpool IN the room, not in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Water Street Inn probably 6 times, always as a quick one-two night getaway. Each time, we have had a great experience. We love the old charm of the building and rooms. We love the fact that there's a nice restaurant and pub within the building. You really never have to leave, if you don't want to. The live music in the pub on Fridays and Saturdays is always enjoyable. Service for us has always been terrific, whether at the front desk, the restaurant, or the pub. The location couldn't be better. It's right on the river and only a block from all the main street shopping in Stillwater. My only, very minor, complaint is the beds. They are a bit too firm for me, but that is entirely a personal thing. I highly recommend this inn!

Room Tip: My only tip on the rooms is to try to stay away from the rooms right next to the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Our room and furnishings were beautiful, but the wedding reception downstairs made it too loud to sleep. The front desk moved us to a HUGE suite at the other end of the hotel.

The location is so close to downtown you can easily wander to the local shops and restaurants.

The on-site pub was freezing so we had dinner in the restaurant. The food was good and the server was attentive.

While the rooms were beautiful, the location does not lend itself to an early night. The inn is best suited for people that can stay up later than I! The inn is next to the bridge so there would be a lot of traffic in the summer months.

Room Tip: Make sure to determine where you are in the hotel - near the river, near the bridge. I would aslo f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SueMN
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We first stayed at the Water Street Inn the summer of 2008, that was my future husband's and my choice for a short getaway. It is not that far from where we live, but once we get there we feel relaxed and stress free so much so that my husband has started calling it our "summer cabin." The Water Street Inn is everything you can expect if you are looking for a "vintage, victorian" getaway, because that is what it is and that is what your room there will protray. Rooms are decorated with a warm historic decor and with a hottub, fireplace and balcony, you have everythign you need for a very relaxing time, not to forget the excellent food at the various venues this Inn has on site.. The staff is excellent starting with the Front desk and going all the way to the owners, and the other staff. They are always friendly and accomdating to us, always acknowledge us and go out of their way to make sure everything is going well during our stay. We stay at The Water Street Inn quite a few times during the summer/fall and have always enjoyed our stay there. Another attractoin is that it is downtown where everything is going on, once we park our car we never have to drive anywhere, you just walk. The shopping is great and the other venues are also fun. I highly recommend The Water Street Inn if you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway. We can't wait for our next visit there!
The Schneider's

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I usually book our special occasions here. It's close to Saint Paul where we live so it's a nice get-away. The hot tub and fireplace are great in the rooms that have them. We have eaten twice at the restaurant, once for Valentine's Day and once for New Year's, and both times I found the food to be great.

Different rooms are in different states. Some rooms are in perfect condition and some have peeling wallpaper here and there, but they are always clean. Occasionally some of the staff can seem a bit short, but I've never had downright bad service. We come for the room and the privacy. Knowing what to expect, we have never been let down.

Room Tip: Talk to the service desk about rooms away from the pub if you are not a night owl.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We didn't pay for the room, as it was a business trip, but from what I hear it was not worth the money. We actually left after 2 nights and booked another hotel for the remaining 2 nights of our trip, partly because we wanted to be closer to minneapolis, and partly because we couldn't wait to get out of there! The rooms were poorly decorated. Most of the room was victorian, but then the bathroom was modern with track lighting. There was minimal shelving in bathroom and the shower didn't have ANYWHERE to place soap, shampoos etc. I had to put my things on a folded facecloth on the shower floor. The shower didn't even have a door on it and the water pressure was extremely low. The toilet had a ring in it. The bed was like sleeping on a piece of plywood and the duvet cover was dirty. The location is great and the bar was homey.... that is about the only reasons I gave them 2 stars.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Mrs. Jane M
Reviewed December 13, 2011

This place is a waste of money. Mold. Ice cold pub and Eight hundred dollars for New "Years ,get real. The guy who answered the phone EJ was so rude and short with me I will take my business elsewhere, I wonder is that previous poster groove was actually a friend of his. Oh whippy the location,a frozen river and a town filled with a bunch of drunks at sleazy bars.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank danny w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
2 mi away
Royal Inn - Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
#2 of 8 in Hudson
Americas Best Value Inn - Stillwater / St. Paul

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!