Water Street Inn
$70
$84
$80
ComfortInn
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Stillwater(Stillwater)(Great Value!)
$109
$106
Travelocity
$55
$48
TripAdvisor
Rivertown Inn(Stillwater)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsirish publift bridgecroix riverhigh ceilingsdowntown stillwaterbrunch buffetfour poster bedroom suitehistoric buildingoverlooking the rivergas fireplacemain streetjacuzziballroomhistory
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife and I booked a room at the Water Street Inn for June 24th, 2011, to celebrate our anniversary. We live nearby and had eaten at Charlie's on a couple of occasions in the past.

After our unfortunate experience at the hotel, I sent the following email to the manager (whose card I was given by the front desk staff), but despite my email and phone messages, I have NEVER RECEIVED ANY RESPONSE. I don't like to post negative reviews, but I feel obligated to inform other potential guests to make plans elsewhere.

We had a reservation for Friday, June 24th. When we made the reservation, our original intent was to stay both Friday and Saturday nights at your hotel. When I called and made the reservation, I was told that Saturday night was booked due to a wedding. The person put my name on the waiting list, but said there were six parties in front of me. So, we made a non-cancelable reservation for Saturday night at the Afton House Inn.

At 7:30 in the morning, the day before our reservation, someone from the hotel called me and asked if I was interested in Saturday night, because a room had opened up. I informed the representative that we had booked Saturday night elsewhere, and that reservation was non-cancelable.

When we arrived Friday afternoon, the front desk manager Todd, and his assistant, couldn't locate our names in the stack of rooms that had yet to check in, or on the master list for the day.

They informed us that the hotel was booked, that they couldn't accommodate us, and asked if we were sure we had a reservation. Then the younger gentleman had an idea, looked in the computer, and found our reservation under Saturday night. We were then informed that our reservation was for Saturday night, not for Friday.

I produced the reservation confirmation email on my phone that showed Friday, June 24th. Todd seemed perturbed at my polite insistence that we in fact had a reservation for Friday night.

They both basically blamed the manager (AJ [--]) and said he probably changed our reservation when he called me Thursday morning. They then tried to call him, but he was unreachable.

Todd suggested we try to find a room elsewhere, and offered to help find a room, and asked the other gentleman to call around. Todd said the manager would be on duty at 7am Saturday, and would deal with it then, and and proceeded to helping other guests. While the other attendant was calling around, I just called the Afton House Inn, explained the situation to them, and luckily they had an open room. Their representative was very gracious and accommodating, the opposite of what we felt from the Water Street Inn staff. The attitude and service difference between the Water Street Inn staff and that at the Afton House could not have been more opposite.

The perception we got, especially from Todd, was that we were the ones who had made mistake and showed up on a day when they were really busy dealing with a large wedding party. The only sort of apology I remember from you staff was a comment as we were turning to leave, from the younger gentleman who said something like, "I apologize about that."

Todd never took responsibility, or offered any sort of help, other than to see if he could get us a reservation elsewhere. The kicker was, as we were about to leave, I went to the restroom, and my wife overheard Todd make a comment to the ladies who had been waiting in line behind us something about having a drink after having to wait so long!

I think the only way we would have felt more unwelcome as we left, was if we had been physically escorted off the premise.

We live nearby, and frequently visit Stillwater, and have eaten at the Charlie's restaurant a couple of times, and we were really looking forward to staying overnight in Stillwater.

This trip was to celebrate our anniversary, and with three young children, getting away for two nights is nearly impossible. (This was the first time in three years we have been able to do that).

I don't quite know how we could have been more embarrassed or disappointed. I would have recommended that Todd, the front desk manager, be terminated, but no-one from the hotel responded to my phone calls or emails.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank bigbenwbl
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We just got back from a Wedding at the Water Street Inn.....Their website basically describes the hotel correctly....You need to be OK with an older looking Victorian hotel. We had the basic room overlooking the street....it had a balcony for two....A little musty smelling, but pretty clean.....Although the shower was not lit and the ceiling had some cracks and plaster kind of peeling off....Beds were squeeky and we all felt very expensive, but it was August and on the St Croix

The location is great, you are on the St Croix and close to many shops, bars and restaurants......The food was good at the hotel wedding and at breakfast....

There were four of us couples, and none of us loved our rooms....but did love the location..

The staff was great and very helpful....

We ate dinner at Whiteys across the street which was great....Freighthouse next door was excellent for drinks at night...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JobDr
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is definitely a "couples only" place. Pros; The staff is really pleasant, the location is close to cute downtown, the historical presence is interesting, exciting nightlife, nice outdoor eating patio, Cons; They have some upkeep issues, broken and several loose tiles in bathroom, very musty smell in room causing sneezing and stuffy noses, loose shelf in bathroom, urine smell in bed, way overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank potatocannon
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at Water Street Inn on a Friday night in July. There was a wedding going on but the staff took good care of us. We bought the romance package with dinner and also breakfast. Both dinner and breakfast were absolutely wonderful! Our room had a bridge view and was huge! The only complaint we had was that the fan in the bathroom did sound like an airplane taking off. Other than that, we had no complaints and enjoyed ourselves. Water Street Inn is in walking distance of everything to do in downtown Stillwater. We spent a wonderful weekend in Stillwater and would definitely return to Water Street Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently celebrated my birthday with a stay at the Water Street Inn. We had a 4-course meal outside and it was delicious, our server was attentive, and we had a great view of the river. Our room was in great shape, also had a fantastic view of the river, and the staff was attentive to all our needs. The jacuzzi was nice and the vaulted bathroom was cool! The bed was a bit squeaky and there was some noise from young people in the middle of the night, but all-in-all we had a great experience, fun night away from the cities!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Vault room -- we enjoyed it!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple