“Outstanding”

Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2013

By far the best food I've ever had, went with my boyfriend on our weekend getaway and the owners of the B&B we stayed at recommended Marx, and we were so impressed. Amazing service and nice atmosphere.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Sent here from our B&B for the walleye dumplings. The dumplings were good but the pistachio encrusted walleye was to die for. Salads were also excellent. Arrived without a reservation, midweek--restaurant was practically full!! I can understand why--we were sat at a table in the bar area but were treated very well and not ignored by staff.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We've walked by this place many, many times but were always on our way somewhere else. One of our favorite restaurants close by was packed, so we drove over to Marx. What a great surprise! The service was excellent. Even though the place was busy, we were able to relax and didn't feel rushed. The ambience was really nice - perfect lighting, cool artwork and nice tables. I had a blueberrry basil martini which was superb. We each had salads. I had the salmon and my husband had the lamb. Both were outstanding. I am picky. My husband is even pickier. The prices were right on - I felt satisfied with the quality and amount of food. I can't wait to back, and am thrilled we finally came here for dinner.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The food was excellent, but it took to darn long to get it. Our server was very nice, but it took much to long for the entrees to come out of the kitchen. Server said they were short handed because one of the kitchen people had to run to the store! Empanada was a delicious appetizer. The sweet potato soup was outstanding. Both the ahi and mahi mahi specials were great. If they could just get the food out quicker. It might have seemed even longer because the table next to us was obnoxiously loud and their cackling was very annoying. Regardless this place turns out the food.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The two of us went on a Fri. night and got right in which doesn't usually happen in downtown Stillwater.

Extensive wine and drink menu. The dinner menu is on the small side and not for those that like blah food. Recommended for those who have an adventurous pallet and enjoy flavor. I would not bring children due to the price, menu and atmosphere. There were four or five dinner specials that the waitress recited beautifully but it was a lot to remember and would have been nice to see the options written out.

We started out with drinks and the duck appetizer, it was a fabulous starter and a perfect portion for two. For dinner, my husband tried the Ahi Tuna special and loved it. I tried it and I felt the spicy sauce overpowered the tuna. I tried the beef filet and absolutely I loved it. The meat was just a tad overdone for medium rare but the caramelized onions, mashed potatoes, sweet potato smear and wine reduction with perfectly grilled asparagus was a symphony of flavors.

We have been to Marx a couple of time and have not been disappointed yet, we will definitely be back. The restaurant is a bit pricy but the taste is gourmet and the portions are not skimpy. The restaurant is not very big so I would definitely recommend reservations if you have a party of six or more. Come a good 15-20 minutes ahead of your reservation time because it can take at least that long to find a place to park in Downtown Stillwater on Fri. Sat. or Sun.