“Funky setting, fabulous food!”

Phil's Tara Hideaway
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Stillwater
Cuisines: American, Soups, Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Funky setting, fabulous food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The chef here is a master at packing a dish with flavor and cooking it to perfection. We ordered from a seasonal special menu. My wild Alaskan salmon was done exactly right and topped with a tasty garnish of vinagry herbs and bacon; the sauce added a bouquet of flavors and scents that complemented wonderfully. My husband's marlin was also very tasty and perfectly cooked. The clam chowder was a hit because it was full of tender, delicious clams, but it was a little too thick with spinach, carrots, and other ingredients. Appetizers and sides were creative and mostly excellent; the butternut squash melted in my mouth. (The menu notes that they emphasize locally sourced, sustainably grown ingredients.) The staff is very attentive and pleasant, and they work together to keep things moving. We showed up at 4:30 on a Friday; by 5:15 the place was jammed with a great mix of people. The Hideaway is tucked into a low spot at the end of the Hwy 36 service road, easy to overlook. it looks like an old lake cabin and indeed it has a long, interesting history. Don't be fooled; it's very clean and well cared for, and the food inside is top-of-the-line in our book. We'll be back.

• Visited September 2012

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great value and quality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Loved this experience. This restaurant is always packed when you go by. Finally convinced my boyfriend to go here and now we see what everyone is talking about. Wow! The portions are generous. We had a great waitress, so friendly and came back often even though it was really packed. The entrees had side dish options and you could upgrade those. Bf had the prime rib and fettucine side dish. The fettucine had a light sauce that was just perfect. I'll get that next time. I had greek chicken and a orzo with artichoke side dish. It was delicious, The orzo had a butter sauce that was melt in your mouth good. I had upgraded my dinner salad to a greek salad and it was huge! I couldnt eat my whole dinner. The next time I will just stick with the dinner salad and Im sure it will still be too much. The prime rib was enormous and not overcooked which is my bf usual complaint. It smelled great. They serve soft rolls with dinner. Just an awesome value and delicious! We will be back again and look forward to bringing friends there.

• Visited September 2012
Shoreview
“Best kept secret in Stillwater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have wandered Stillwater many times over the years, but never realized this place was here. I guess the locals know about it, because it was packed on a Wednesday night. The history of the place is charming, the food was delicious and the service was spot on. I had the Mediterranean pork chops and they were delicious. Cooked perfectly. My husband had a steak special and he couldn't stop raving about how tender and tasty it was. My favorite, though, was the pork belly crostini. I wish I had ordered 6 of them! This is a friendly, well managed restaurant that I look forward to visiting often.

• Visited August 2012
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Phil's doing it right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We meet friends there on a regular basis. The food is always great, Kip is a very good server, and we always have a good time. Only place is small so the tables are jammed together. If you're looking for a place to have a nice, quiet, intimate dinner, this isn't the spot. If you are looking for consistently great food, Phil's is the place. Try a week night rather than Friday or Saturday, it's easier to get a table.

Visited July 2012
Barrie
“great steaks!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Good solid menu great service, absolutely nothing to complain about...
Had the steak with crusted top.

Visited October 2011