“A weird experience”

Cuisines: American, Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut
Description: "Charlie's Restaurant & Irish Pub" at The Historic Water Street Inn is an ideal location for outdoor dining in the Scenic St. Croix Valley. Located at the foot of the historic lift bridge "Charlie's" serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with menu options as varied as its surroundings. If you're looking to enjoy the sun with some cocktails & appetizers you can try our patio bar, or for more of a formal menu offering pastas, steak and fish try our covered patio.
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We went here for lunch on a day trip to Stillwater. We should have backed out right away, because it got weird quick. First bad sign: the girl who took us to a table was unkempt, with hair that had clearly not been washed for days, and huge runs in her tights. Where is management on that? Second bad sign: the place smelled like cat pee. I don't know where it was coming from, but it did. Third bad sign: there was no one else eating anywhere in the restaurant that we could see.
We were already in, so we went along for the ride. We were seated at a little table by the window, which was nice in and of itself, but no one came to greet us or take drink orders for a long time. We just sat there, very occasionally seeing staff (waiters? managers? not sure) passing by a little distance away. They rushed through and were careful not to make eye contact with us. Finally our waitress arrived and took our order. Our beers and entrees (a shrimp salad and a sandwich) were actually pretty good, but there was a huge wait for each step of the process. Get seated, wait 15 minutes. Put in drink order, wait 15 minutes. Drinks come, wait 20 more minutes for lunch. And so on and so forth. I would not come here again, and based on the dining experience, I would never stay at the inn, either. Good to know.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My son (9) and I went here for Easter lunch buffet as my husband was out of town for the weekend and we were looking for something nice to do on Easter. Knowing about the mixed reviews I went into it without very high expectations. And, I am not a big fan of the "as much as you can eat" mentality that pervades our society today. It was simply one of the only options near our neck of the woods on Easter. Now, the review:
Much of the "hot" food was lukewarm at the most and not for lack of sitting....many of the buffet pans were EMPTY the first 2 times we went through the line. It was better the 3rd time through (we had hardly eaten any food at this point) but by then I was bored and annoyed with the whole experience. My take on the situation is that the restaurant wanted to make as much $$ as possible on this rather pricey buffet. So, they crammed as many tables and chairs as possible into the space they had, which would be fine IF they could keep up with enough food for everyone. It is unacceptable to go through a buffet line where 3/4 of the dishes/pans were empty. Unfortunately when they were refilled the food was actually that good anyway. The best thing was the battered fish they had on the kids buffet line. The salads looked like they may have been good but I wouldn't know because they were always empty. Dessert table at one point had cheesecake and brownies and maybe one other cake/bar but when we went to check it out after our very unsatisfying meal everything was wiped out and the only thing left were some baked apple slices. What a huge disappointment. Not only was the food bad, but the service need work as well. Very pricey for such a bad experience. I will not visit again and will be sure to spread the word to everyone I know. Too bad because I grew up in Stillwater and that adorable little town is in desperate need of some good restaurant options. This is not one of them.

1  Thank kbecerra
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I had lunch at Charlie's, seated at a charming window view table in the formal dining room. Our service was excellent (Crystal was our waitress).

The homemade mushroom soup was absolutely the best we've ever had. Rich in pureed mushrooms, cream and chicken base, it was perfection!

A luncheon visit here is a real treat...and we'll be back.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were booked into the historic Stillwater Inn, which is above Charlie's restaurant. Loved the outdoor seating and stage overlooking the river and the historic lift bridge. Had a wonderful time with a very attentive staff while listening to "The Hounds of Flynn"-an Irish band. Thank you for a very memorable night!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We ordered beer and appetizers on this autumn afternoon. There were several empty tables in the bar area where we sat. It appears we entered some type of time vortex because it took forever. To. Get. Our. Food. One hour......to get appetizers. More time......to get the check. If you go to celebrate a special occasion you might want to arrive a couple of days early. We won't return.

1  Thank GuzzoBazinko