“One of the top B&Bs we have ever stayed at.”
Review of Rivertown Inn

Rivertown Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Stillwater B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The Rivertown Inn is one of the best B & B's my husband and I have experienced. We are avid travelers, and always stay in a bed and breakfast when possible. The Rivertown Inn ranks near the top, in 17 years of travel. We celebrated our anniversary by booking the Lord Byron suite. We found the inn on the Internet, and had no clue how wonderful it would be. The Inn is impeccably clean, even the exterior spaces. I suspect the staff is outdoors cleaning each morning before the guests wake up, because I cannot imagine how else our outdoor porch could be so clean, especially after a storm the night before. Each room is entirely unique -- a true feast for the eyes. Each time we walked around the lobby and common areas, we saw something new to enjoy, in particular the antique pieces througout the home. Every room is done in a meticulous fashion, and based on a famous author. The spa/jet tub in the room actually worked, and worked well, and the water pressure was terrific (we find water pressure to be lacking sometimes in older B&Bs). the fresh coffee just outside our room in the morning was a real plus, while waiting for our breakfast sitting. we could see the st. croix river from the property, so location is wonderful too. I enjoyed meeting the owner, who introduced himself to each of the guests at breakfast. we find those touches to make a difference. This is a place we intend to visit, again, often. Oh, and the happy hour at 5 pm was divine -- great wine, cheeses and meats, set out in the dining room, and all the guests seemed to congregate ... a very friendly atmosphere. Everyone mingled and was in a great mood, and easy to see why - this Inn is a fabulous getaway!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mgoblue1990

Reviewed July 20, 2009

I have stayed at a fair amount of high-end B&B's and I have to say that the Rivertown Inn was the best by far! The accomodations and service were impeccable. The gourmet breakfast was by far the most delicious I have ever experianced. The room (Lord Byron) was luxurious and very comfortable. We made reservations for our Anniversary next year already. I very much doubt that we will wait that long before staying another weekend again. It was very hard to leave in the morning at check-out time. The grounds are very beautiful and it is so relaxing just sitting in the various areas such as on the porch and in the gazebo. We will make the Rivertown Inn our signature romantic get-away.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank victorianlover46
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Wow! This was the first time we stayed at a bed and breakfast and it was such a wonderful experience! Our room was The Lewis Carroll bedchamber and it was perfect! The inn keeper was very welcoming and ready to assist with any needs. The breakfast was delicious! It was amazingly clean, not a sight of dust anywhere. It was the perfect way to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We will definitely be back again. I want to try other B&B but I'm worried that they won't come close to the the Rivertown Inn perfection.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank milaya_05
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I could not get over how lovely the entire grounds were and how wonderful our stay was. Each & every detail was accounted for, the staff were great, the food was fabulous. Our room was gorgeous and comfortable, what a stunning retreat. Cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I have stayed here 3 times already, it is like a spider web, one visit and your trapped and can not stop coming back! The first room we were in was the Lewis Carroll, this room is the smallest and the most charming, sized in close proximity to your average bedroom but a bit larger since it has a nice bathroom off the side seperated with a heavy tapestry curtain and a beautiful double whirlpool with a waterfall faucet. For a first visit I would always recommend this room because it is the least expensive and it is just the thing to catch you into coming back again and again. I love the deep wine colors of the room and the down comforters and heavy down pillows on a KING (not full) sized bed are like nothing you have slept on in any venue ever. (oh and by the way, the rooms are pretty close to soundproof I think as you nearly never hear anyone moving about the other rooms save a cough outside your door in the morning as someone fetches complimentary coffee or tea and there are no "cracks" as one reviewer mentioned, you cannot even see light coming in from the hall when the doors are closed). And there are not televisions or telephones in the rooms...thank God because I come to get away from those things.

I also had the pleasure of enjoying the Christina Rosetti which by photo I thought would be unappealing but booked it because I was so desperate to return. This room is so far my other half's favorite...in a gorgeous tapestry of blues, golds, browns, and taupes the antique ornate canopy bed makes you feel like you have stepped right into the period of the early centuries...but as soon as you transition into the gorgeous whirpool tub you realize you are still in the modern lap of luxury. My sleep here was amazing of course and I love that when I step into each room the soft classical music on the top of the line Bose CD player/alarm clocks are playing...it is was lulls me to sleep after the utterly relaxing evening I always seem to enjoy.

The third room which I just stayed in was the Jane Austen and I must say the room does this romantic authoress justice. There is a giant king sized bed (almost seems larger than the one in the Lewis Carroll even though they are the same size) covered with the most comfortable giant pillows I have ever laid my head upon. I swear I sank into this bed and I never wanted to leave...but you have to, so that you can pad around the corner into the private and may I say GIANT bathroom! Again there is a large whirlpool tub in this room with an underwater light and waterfall faucet and did I mention they all have hand held showers so you can still get your hair washed? Candles are not permitted at the Inn so we brought sweet battery powered tea lights to light up the bathroom area when we turned down the lights. Oh and I want to mention the lighting, in each room there is a gas fireplace so we crank up the ac (since each room has their own remote control state of the art personal climate system) and then turn on the fireplace and the lighting has somehow been done in such a way that it is always romantic in each room.

This inn has the most elegant and oppulent touches like none you will find anywhere else...antique literary works of the authors each room is named after are available in each room but an even better read? The journals filled with the memories of the guests who have stayed in the room before you...a 70 year old newly married couple who share that their passion is on fire as much as any young couple, a young woman proposed to at the very minute she ponders how she became a princess, another couple celebrating their first anniversary, their 55th anniversary, their first child, their graduation, their honeymoon! The rooms are filled with stories which go beyond the authors. If you still need more to read, there is a Stillwater guide in the rooms advising you of great hot spots in the historic and wildly popular downtown district which you are within walking distance to. Of course we like walking around the neighborhoods as well as investigating the other mansions none of which compare to the inn on the hill of Olive.

Each room is decorated with amazing unique antiques. No detail goes unspared in this inn right down to the period-authentic wall treatments and if you have the opportunity to speak with the owner when he comes for a visit he is happy to share how he acquires his pieces and tell you the stories of some of the more unique ones. Each bit is restored with love and passion...and might I mention their staff? I bring this up because this home is immpecible! There is not a bit of dust and with all the woodwork you wonder who dusts and polishes it all...and all the tiffany lamps and crystal who wipes each crystal to a sparkle? A small but amazingly committed staff with an Innkeeper who is above and beyond anyone I have met in the "Innworld" She goes out of her way to make each moment special so no one is ever the same and she is always generous. I look forward to visiting her again very soon...mostly because I look forward to my next room and my next breakfast!

The chef, named Ray, is a five star chef who prepares the most flavorful, delectable, unique dishes ever. Each time I read the menu it does not matter because I could never imagine what he is going to present before me. Today I ate the softest scrambled eggs on a bed of mushrooms in a mushroom ragu with white truffle oil!!!! He makes the worlds best muffins I am sure of it, and today the staff was kind enough to wrap some up for my children! How gracious is that??? When my 12 year old tried it she was amazed and said "No wonder you want to go there all the time?" No kids allowed under a certain age so she has not had the pleasure of visiting. My god this food is so indescribably delish...they have wine dinners there and my next goal for the Rivertown is to attend one, and to stay in the Agatha Christi :) Oh and on Sundays they serve champagne...on my second visit we ate on the veranda amongst the beautiful gardens with the antique statues and water fountains. Everyone says that you should take a bottle of wine to the Gazebo so I suppose that on my next visit I will be spending even more time in the gardens.

Lastly...and I realize this is long but can you tell we are in love with this place? We recommend it to everyone we know...but lastly, I particularly enjoy the touches, such as the gold wrapped chocolates they leave on the beds, fresh flowers in every room every day, the option to have your champagne on ice with glasses waiting with roses for your love and hand made chocolate truffles, or the complimentary social hour with wine and hors d'oeuvres and homemade chocolate chip cookies with complimentary bottled waters and soft drinks...you can even help yourself to a second bottle of champagne or wine if you need to. Anyhow, I could go on and on and to most people I do, this is by far the BEST place in the world and I will never stay anywhere else again!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2009

My stay at the Rivertown Inn was an unbelievable experience! My fiance and I stayed for his birthday and we had a fantastic time! The decor is amazing, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the breakfast was to die for! It was the perfect romantic get-away.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I stayed for business on a Wed. & Thurs. night. The Inn was very accomodating of my late arrival, early breakfast needs, and the wireless Internet allowed me to work late into the night.

The breakfast was to die for. Good coffee and blueberry & chocolate muffins were just the start.

The only downside was the tubs (no showers in the rooms).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
Water Street Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hudson
Outing Lodge at Pine Point
Outing Lodge at Pine Point
#1 of 3 in Oak Park Heights

Been to Rivertown Inn? Share your experiences!