“Favorite Place to Stay”

Ranked #5 of 10 Stillwater B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Favorite Place to Stay”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My wife and I first stayed at the Rivertown Inn for our first year Wedding anniversary last July and are so glad we did. We loved the Oscar Wilde suite.
Last October we stayed one night in the Lewis Carroll room which we adore. Very nice and cozy.
This July for our second year anniversary we will be staying in the Agatha Christie suite and can not wait. This Inn is excellent all around with a very friendly staff that make you feel right at home. We both hope this place will be around for years and years as we plan on going back for years and years. If you are looking for a nice romantic get away with your loved one check out the Rivertown Inn. You will not be dissapointed.

Five and a half stars if you ask me.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mister_V_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Stillwater recently to attend a wedding. After looking at various lodging options in the area, and reading the reviews here, I selected the Rivertown Inn. What a perfect choice! We arrived very late on Friday night and it was easy to get in and find our room with the instructions that the house manager provided.
The Lord Byron room was exactly as I imagined from the photos, complete with several books and biographies about the author. The room has its own door to the second-story porch, which has 2 reading chairs outside. While it was way too hot to try the gas fireplace, I can only imagine how cozy it would be to enjoy it during the fall and winter.
As someone with bad allergies, I was wary to try a B&B, especially one with a draped canopy bed. I had zero allergy problems while staying there; the house and rooms are spotlessly clean and airy. I believe I overheard the owner mentioning that all the mattresses are custom-made. The bed was incredible!
One thing to note is that there is no shower, only the giant and lovely whirlpool tub. There is a hand-held shower spray that you can use for a quick rinse if needed. But you’ll want to take a soak for sure. The tub has a light and the bath soaps are wonderful.
There are two seatings for breakfast, one at 9 and the other at 10:30. If the weather is nice you can sit outside at 2 person tables. Otherwise, you eat in the main dining area and share a table with the other guests. Private seating can be arranged, but you have to let the staff know the night before so they set something aside for you. And, you may also ask for breakfast to be brought to your room.
Near the kitchen area is a Kerig coffee maker, with plenty of cocoa, tea and coffee choices in addition to mini fridge with water and soda. They also have a wine bar where you can select a bottle and bring it to your room. The cost is very reasonable.
When I first heard about a 3 course breakfast I thought that would be way too much food. But the portions are perfectly sized, as well as very light and healthy. You walk away feeling satisfied and energized. The coffee is excellent, and on Sundays they serve mimosas or a glass of Cava.
The Inn is a few blocks away from the river and downtown area. There are dozens of great restaurants and shops. And if you bike or run, you’ll definitely get a great workout while enjoying the scenery.
While I don’t think we’ll ever be back to Stillwater, since most of our travels are on the East or West Coast, I do highly recommend selecting this destination. The service was excellent, the rooms interesting and comfortable, and the food was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DCtraveler0009
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Oscar Wilde suite and after looking at all of them I really think it is the best suite. We liked the privacy of the separate house it was inn, and the extra room to spend some time relaxing in our own suite. I don't even think I can put into words how fine the fabrics were in the linens, the drapes, and the upholstery. We don't like fussy, frumpy decorations, and we were very impressed with the high end quality of everything...literally everything. The woodwork, the ceilings, the hardware, the bed linens, but especially the drapes. Wow. I have taken decorating classes and really was constantly marveling at the details in the trim and fabrics of the drapes. We don't typically stay at B&B's because we link on site amenities and quite honestly find it creepy when someone wants to talk to you all the time, but you won't have to worry about that here. The service is there when you want it, but not intrusive. There was ice and a bucket to take to the suite, glasses to use, a wonderful assortment of cheeses, meats, crackers, grapes and wine for happy hour. And we were so impressed with the bathroom, whirlpool, steam shower, fireplace, and beautiful and comfortable lounge chair in our suite. We prefer the bigger rooms so you feel like you can sit and and have a drink and talk and have ample room. I think it is worth the extra money to get the Oscar Wilde, the Agatha Christie, or perhaps the Browning suite unless you don't plan to hang out in your room. They leave the doors of unoccupied rooms open to you can see them and decide which one to stay in when you come back, because you will want to come back. The breakfast was wonderful. The food was not only delicious, but the chef actually made things that we didn't feel guilty eating! Organic foods, low fat yogurt, flaxseed muffins. I don't eat sweets so I never try muffins, but I am really glad I tried these because they were the best muffins I have ever had. I don't typically gush over places, but this was such a pleasant experience, even the painters were happy to show us a room that was being renovated and it was obvious how much pride they and the owners took in this place. I highly recommend spending a little extra to stay here. You will remember it for the rest of your life.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have doors on the bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Minnes0tans
Lake Superior area
Reviewed February 27, 2011

My wife and I occasionally stay at B & B's for special occasions and this trip was a return visit to the Rivertown Inn. Our previous experience here several years ago was simply perfect and we were anxious for a quiet, romantic getaway on this trip. We were very satisfied with our room, the Browning Suite, which was very charming, quite comfortable and very clean. The afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres is not to be missed and the next morning's breakfast was superb. Our only issue was the jacuzzi not working. We informed the staff and received an apology as well as a generous credit on the room rate upon checkout. We highly recommend you visit their website as it provides a very accurate preview of the property. If you choose The Rivertown Inn for your visit to Stillwater you will not be disappointed.

St. Michaels, Maryland
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We absolutely loved this Inn. The rooms were awesome and the entire place was immaculate. Massages rocked as well!!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2011

The Rivertown Inn is wonderful - every detail is is superb... from the exquisite room decor to the sumptuous food. It is absolute perfection!

Buffalo, Minnesota
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I had planned a trip for myself and my wife, maybe our last trip for a while, as she is 8 months pregnant, to head for Stillwater, and drive the river valley south through Wisconsin to Winona, Minnesota, then back north through the Minnesota side of the river valley. I researched places to stay extensively, particularly Bed and Breakfasts, as this was going to be a two day drive. The Rivertown Inn is the best decision I could ever have made. We're no history buffs, but we know the finer things when we see them, and the Rivertown Inn is the finest. Every detail in the home has a spectacular quality, whether it be the original parquet floors, or an antique, hand carved poster bed or hutch, or the fancy wall paper, or the fine bath soaps. Nothing could top the quality of our stay. It was so much more than any web pictures can describe, because the love that went into the restoration and construction of this magnificent home cannot be felt in a picture. I recommend a stay, for no less than one night of your life, at the Rivertown Inn in beautiful historic Downtown Stillwater, Minnesota. The city of Stillwater is a thriving community, and nothing could be a better business addition than this fine Bed and Breakfast. Top notch! Jaki and Dan Olson from Buffalo, Minnesota have truly enjoyed their stay, and really want to congratulate you on a beautiful business you have. Much love, and thank you. Dan and Jaki Olson

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stillwater
Water Street Inn
Royal Inn - Hudson
Royal Inn - Hudson
#3 of 8 in Hudson
Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale

Been to Rivertown Inn? Share your experiences!