Bay of Fires Character Cottages
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Binalong Bay
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskingfisher cottagebeach towelsbbqbalconyfurnishings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is the only place to stay in the area, overlooking the beach at Binalong Bay. We stayed at Albatross cottage and even saw whales from our balcony. We are from Tasmania and are often disappointed and down right ashamed of what is offered to tourists. This is a worthwhile establishment and we will return someday.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leewilsonzx
CharacterCottages, Owner at Bay of Fires Character Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thankyou for your review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed Albatross Cottage and our lovely area.
So pleased you saw some whales.
There have been dozens of sightings this year and one particular whale came in so close to shore with her calf it was a very special experience.

Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in King Fisher cottage. It has nice view of the Binalong bay beach which is the beginning of the bay of fires. The house is a bit old but quite clean. The duvet is very comfortable and the sheets r high quality. The only thing can be improved is to be a little flexible on the check in time. We arrived at 1pm which is an hour earlier of the earliest check in time. We were told we have to wait for an hour even the house was ready...

• Stayed: November 2012
CharacterCottages, Owner at Bay of Fires Character Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Arrival time is generally from 2.00 p.m. onwards and I was unable to let these specific guests in any earlier as I had the plumber coming to check and service the water pressure pump as we are on tank water and the pump kept cutting in and would have kept the guests awake all night .
The water has to be turned off to do this.
If a guest arrives early and I am able to let them in before 2.00 p.m. as long as the cottage is serviced I will always do so.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was our first crack at self-contained accommodation on this trip, and we'd go back for sure. These cottages are all in one strip going up a hill behind the only restaurant around, at the southern end of the main beach. You pay more as you get higher and the view improves, but all cottages have been built to take advantage of the view, so all are good. The cottage we were in (Deluxe) was very spacious, well-equipped (with laundry), and clean. We used the balcony as often as we could, and watched the day dawn lying in bed. There's not a lot to do in Binalong Bay, but we were well stocked with food from nearby St Helens, and we never get tired of walks along the beach. I fully expected to see whales cruising by and a month or so later this may have been a reality.

I have a couple small complaints - nothing to stop us going back, but little things that can easily be addressed. Blunt knives - we always carry a sharp knife because too often knives in such accommodation are blunt. Blunt knives are dangerous and I reported this - hopefully something was done. Wood barbecue: there's a lot of wood in Tassie, but a wood barbecue, especially for overseas travellers, is really difficult to use. Thin toilet paper: false economy IMO and annoying to use for travellers.

One thing we really liked was the provision of a coffee plunger AND coffee to use in it. I nice touch for travellers who like coffee but don't/can't lug such things around.

Great place to stay and a wonderful location.

Room Tip: Higher up the hill gets better views but at a higher price.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CharacterCottages, Owner at Bay of Fires Character Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thankyou for your review.
I wish to point out I was not told about blunt knives. As we have good quality steak knives it could only be the carving knives. Now this has been bought to my attention I have sharpened them in each cottage and will continue to do so.
Re the toilet paper. Binalong Bay has no infrastructure,so no sewerage and water. We have to supply both ourselves. In our case our own plant. Needless to say we have to be very carefull as to what enters the plant and therefor, although I supply always 2 ply sheets purchased from the hotel suppliers they can not be of the thick quality available from supermarkets as the plant or septic tanks can not cope.
I consider I am generous with what I leave in the cottages and the quantity.
Re the wood barbeques. I find in the majority guests enjoy them and love to sit around them while there meal is cooking. There are many issues surrounding gas barbeques plus the salt air is very hard on everything. There are large electric frypans etc. for cooking inside if required.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

What a beautiful place to spend a few days, the view from the cottage are amazing, the beach is stunning. Its a lovely getaway for a few days. This was my second time to Binalong Bay and to the character cottages - dont hesitate to book and enjoy!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Kingfisher twice, but I reckon try for Albatros if you can get it. Has a bigger balcony and better views. If you cant get it dont stress Kingfisher also great!!
Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
CharacterCottages, Owner at Bay of Fires Character Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the area and thankyou for your review

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We recently spent two nights staying in the Kingfisher cottage with our 4 year old son. Highly recommend it. Very spacious & clean cottage. Two bedrooms, one with a queen, the other with a queen and two singles. Great views, just across from a very safe beach with white sand. BBQ out the back. Playground 50metres down the road. Sometimes it's the little things that can add or ruin a holiday. We arrived on a very cold day, owner turned heater on before we arrived. Plenty of pillows, blankets, electric blankets, tea, coffee and even plunger coffee. Hope to stay again someday.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracey C

Thankyou for your review.
It makes everything worth while when we know guests have enjoyed our lovely area and found the accommodation we provide acceptable as we put in a lot of hard work.