“Wonderful Wines and Food in the heart of Minnesota farm country!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Daughters Vineyards

Four Daughters Vineyards
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Grimsby, Ontario
“Wonderful Wines and Food in the heart of Minnesota farm country!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We visited my son, and his wife, in Rochester this past week and, at their insistence, we went for dinner at Four Daughters Vineyard in Spring Valley, Minn. Getting to the winery involved a pleasant 1/2 hour drive southeast from Rochester through rolling Minnesota farm land. Living, as we do in the Niagara wine region, all the while on the drive my wife and I were increasingly curious as to how anyone could have a successful wine grape growing season, and produce quality wines, in the short growing season found in Southern Minnesota.

Let me say that "pleasantly surprised" by the wines, and the food offerings does not do justice to what we discovered at Four Daughters. The warm greeting by the Boss, Vicky, set the mood for our visit.

Everything my son and friends said was true. We we're six people, and were able to select a sampling of wines, and menu items which gave us all a taste of the culinary creativity, and the wine maker's talents. The menu was fun to consider, and the food which was delivered met expectations as described on the Menu.

Don't forget to leave room for dessert. Caramel Chocolate Pana Cota….. Yes!!

Selecting a varietal which will mature in Southern Minnesota presents its own challenge, one which the folks at Four Daughters have handled extremely well. Their whites are superb, their reds, while limited in number for now, are a treat for any palate. Everyone's taste for wine is unique, and I found that there is a wine for every taste here. In their Whites, I found their Riesling compares favourably with any produced elsewhere, the Nude Etude is a real pleaser, as is the Frontenac Gris and Rosé. I would never have considered a Gris from the Frontenac grape a workable wine, but this is a rich one!

While the selection of reds is smaller, mainly due to maturity of the vines, the soil creates a fine wine, a factor which is evident across the listings. The Marquette is bold and well rounded, and the Big Boy Blend (sadly, already sold out) is a true 'Big Reds" wine with a great future once more production from the vines becomes available. As well, their lever and unique sparkling wines will make any event special.

We look forward to returning to visit with my son and wife next year and are fully expecting to discover more fine offerings in both reds and whites. And to discover what the excellent Chef and Staff have to offer on the ever evolving menu. Patio dining was wonderful, and the T-Storms rolling across the horizon while we were there provided a natural show as we ate, and imbibed. Thanks Dave!

This is a glowing review, and well deserved, but there is one areas which I would suggest needs be mentioned. The winery is a beautiful building as is the tasting area and display racking. Both invite one to spend time and to enjoy all that is offered. So far, so good. However, the evening we were there the restaurant was very busy, including a wedding reception in the private room. A large group of people, in any location, tends to induce louder voices. Unfortunately, in the beautiful room, surrounded by a fantastic view of the surrounding vineyards through high glass walls in these situations does note foster quiet conversations about the wines, or food.

Some reviewers have posted negative comments about service, and the folks a Four Daughters are aware of the issue and have made great strides in this area with new hires and training of staff.

To the comments about pricing of menu items and wines, I can only say that we found the quality of the foods, and presentations, were top notch. Portions were generous, but not "He Man, Platters" of some "Family Restaurants" . The prices of the wines at Four Daughters, as with any small production boutique wines, on par with what one finds across North America, be it California's Napa Valley, Washington State's Willamette Valley, Oregon, British Columbia's Okanogan Valley or our own Niagara wine region in Ontario. Yes, one can find a $10.00 wine at restaurants across the continent, but not one which offers the quality, and unique results, found in the wines we enjoyed at Four Daughters.

If you do go to enjoy the wines and excellent foods, which is strongly recommended, do try to eat on the patio as it is much more conducive to conversation.

Oh, and look forward to a pleasant conversation with the Family Patriarch, Gary, who visits guests with his perennial, glass of Sangria (Red) in hand.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Rochester, Minnesota
“Excellent Food and Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My daughter gave me a gift card to the Four Daughters Vineyards. I decided to use it this past Saturday. Upon entering we were instantly greeted and escorted to a seat. They have both indoor and outdoor seating. We choose to sit indoors, but the outdoors seating has views of the vineyards. I had the white wine sampler of 5 different wines and my daughter had the red wine sampler of 4 different wines. Each sampler was only $5. It was an excellent value and a great way to try many of their different wines. For lunch, I had their Food Daughters Salad. It was very delicious. Good portion. They also sell wine which I did buy a bottle of one of my favorites from the sampler and although the price was higher than a wine shop, you are paying for the local wine and quality. They also have a little area to shop for wine souvenirs, and related gifts. I certainly will be back.

• Visited July 2013
Albert Lea, Minnesota
“Such a wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had received Gift cards to the Four Daughters Vineyard and decided it was time to go for a visit. My husband and I went on the 4th of July for lunch. Just amazing. We were both very surprised and enjoyed it so much. We will surely go back and invite friends to go with us. The bottles of wine to purchase are alittle expensive, but worth it. So nice to have such a high class place close to enjoy...

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Go out of your way to visit and eat here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is the most amazing "out of the way" place if you want good wine, excellent gourmet food (without high prices) and beautiful scenery. The wine sampler for $5 is a good way to try the variety of wines they make. However, I will say the bottles are a little expensive to purchase. Friendly, attentive staff - the "four daughters" all work there! There is a beautiful outdoor patio for dining (weather permitting). Guaranteed to not disappoint. This is also an excellent spot for a wedding - and they do an outstanding job.

• Visited April 2013
Rochester, Minnesota
“Unexpected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have heard about this place from friends, finally got a chance to go last night for a company party. Was pleasantly surprised at the whole place. The restaurant, wine bar and wine making facility are very impressive. It seems they spared no expense in putting this place up. Very nice on a cold Minnesota evening. Food was all very good. We had a buffet for the party, including; pizza, soup, salad and desert, multiple choices of each. The wine was very good and I don't normally drink wine. I tried a red, white and rose and would recommend all. We will definitely be back to order off the menu and will bring friends. Look forward to sitting on the patio in the summer.

• Visited January 2013