“Ancient antics at Butser Farm -Samhain event was a great evening for all the family!”

Butser Ancient Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Chalton
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Butser Ancient Farm on many occasions through out the calender year and always find it a very interesting and a delightful setting.The staff are extremely helpful and very informative regarding facts about the saxon/ celtic /roman period! I recently went to the Samhain evening and enjoyed celebrating with tales by the fire and much much more besides! Thank you for a superb experience.

2  Thank bubblecar05

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wow! Started early on a Sunday morning. So quiet and situated in a wonderful location the ancient farm was like something you only see in the movies. It was real with wood smoke issuing from the principal roundhouses. There is a magic to this place which you can experience when you shut yourself off from the outside world. The Roman villa/farmhouse was a treasure to visit. The villa staff, soldiers and cook were so enthusiastic and made the villa visit very special. If you are taking kids I would suggest Junior school age onwards. Food-take some with you. Good toilet facilities. Take your camera with plenty of memory.

1  Thank david s
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Without the tour we would have been in and out but the passion and enthusiasm of our guide made it a great day for just us adults!
Don't expect a cafe or restaurant, ear first or be prepared to eat afterwards!

1  Thank Stevetherover
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Have a read of some of the other reviews, most are petty spot on. This is a unique place. Not tons there and not over spectacular but the enthusiasm is infectious. The staff are brilliant and really friendly. I think we may have been a bit disappointed had we not tagged on to a guide who made it come alive. I agree, have a look at the website and pick a day when something is happening. And yes there were lots of terribly middle class parents there pushing their kids which would have put mine to shame but with a sense of humour that added to the fun.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Visited Butser Ancient Farm today for the first time, despite my younger son wanting to go after having visited on a school trip a couple of years ago. It is a truly beautiful place, set in gorgeous countryside, lovely views from every angle and lovely people working there. There are many things for children to 'have a go' at and there was a special 'flint knapping' event on with lots of archaeologists who were very informative and helpful. My son's (10 and 13 years) were a little wary of the Roman soldiers in costume to begin with but they needn't have been as they were fabulous people who we got chatting to and my husband and sons got to try on the 'mail' armour/costume complete with sword, helmet and shield and had a very fun and informative Roman Soldier history lesson (including a personal battle scenario reenactment). We spent approx 2 1/2 hours there which I would say was about the right amount of time needed. You would probably spend more time if they had a larger scale event on. Thank you to everyone at Butser we had a fantastic afternoon!

1  Thank ZoeR75