Spicer Castle Inn
$142
HIExpress.com
Cozy Inn(Willmar)(Great Value!)
$55
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewsmurder mysterymystery dinnerthe main housegreen lakepork loinboth dinner and breakfastprime ribbed and breakfastpopoversdinner theatergoogle searchnew londonentire groupnext morningmemorable stayother guestslovely view of the lake
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I enjoy getting away now and then from the cities to a B&B on my own - mainly to relax and rejuvenate. As I was deciding, I kept seeing Spicer Castle everywhere so had to check it out!

I decided to opt out of the mystery dinner for a more low-key evening so arrived later. I learned at breakfast that it would have been better to be at the dinner as everyone talked about it - and breakfast was family-style, sitting around the big dining area w/guests! It was fine but got awkward as I was the only single person and everyone was in pairs. Also, as I was the "single" person, I seemed to be at disposal for everyone else - including taking the last seat so everyone else had their choice! I literally got up and moved to be considerate. The workers/server didn't seem to care and have concern - it was more about getting the job done, especially the one lady there.

I stayed in one of the loft rooms outside the main house - in Christopher in the Garden House. Overall, it was nice and clean although I did get houseflies that wouldn't leave but I know that it happens. It was relaxing and quiet as I only shared a wall w/the Curry room. I could hear them but it was not loud enough for me to be bothered by them. I did enjoy exploring the property as it was spacious and would say they could do well for having a lot going on. I can't say everything was clean as it should be.

The property is nice but there is a lot more than can be improved for what they have - the service is one to stress and point out. With many people coming in, it makes the difference. Also, I again would not recommend this for non-couples for reasons already mentioned.

Room Tip: It seemed that the rooms were cleaner, more updated outside the house as I toured the main house and property. I would recommend those rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ForAdventuresandFun
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We did the Murder Mystery Dinner while staying at this rural Minnesota B&B and had a great time ! Food was excellent and met many new folks during the meal while role playing various characters ... Each diner is a character so be ready to participate. Paul's Room was pleasant but detached from main building. Weekend was grey and windy but grounds, overlooking lake, would have been fun to explore in nicer weather. Staff was pleasant and fun. Start your visit with tea in the afternoon and then have a great breakfast next morning to conclude visit. Try it !

Room Tip: Build your visit to area attractions such as Glacier Lakes winery and other local shops
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I took my husband to Spicer Castle on Friday night for an early birthday getaway. We enjoyed our stay starting out with tea and some cribbage shortly after our arrival. We stayed in the MASON room which was very comfortable with a nice view of Green Lake. That evening we attended the Mystery Dinner with 6 other guests. We all were assigned roles with our room confirmation so were able to dress accordingly. ( not required, but added to the experience.)
The meal was very good and presented in courses during which we were all presented clues. As the "mystery" unfolded we got to know one another and accusations ensued. We shared some laughs with people who had previously been strangers and had a wonderful evening.
Breakfast on Saturday morning was delicious and we enjoyed hearing about some of the castle's history from John Spicer's son.
If you are the type of person who likes new modern motels with a view of the freeway then don't stay here.
If you enjoy houses with history plus a beautiful view of a very clear spring-fed lake, and interacting with others, then put this on your "to-do" list.
Wouldn't it be fun to leave your big screen t.v. and computer home for the weekend and enjoy simpler times as well as your significant other's uninterrupted attention?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robineggblue
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I took my sweetheart to spicercastle on valentines day. what a joke, we stayed in johns cottage,there were spiders, cob webs everywhere, and the place looked like it was not cleaned in some time. the whirlpool was gross, it was stained and the brass fictures needed some tarnish remover. I would not give my dog a bath in that whirlpool. when we went to eat we wanted prime rib, but they ran out, so we wanted lobster, but they ran out. they don't know how to plan meals, when you promise something make sure you have it. I complained about the room and the poor meal planning he knocked 30.00 bucks of but it was not enough. By the way the place looked when we pulled in we should have known better, it is run down, and its false advertising when you see there web site, most depressing valentines night ever, didn't even lay on the bed ended up going home early. what a joke. I will never go back

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scott k
Manager86, Manager at Spicer Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Greetings from Spicer Castle Inn! Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our B&B. We are sorry and want to apologize for the unacceptable guestroom you at our Inn.

Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for the lack of attention that our housekeeping staff showed to your guestroom. This is especially saddening because Spicer Castle is committed to providing an unsurpassed level of excellence in hospitality, ensuring each guest a pleasant and memorable experience at our Inn. We know we failed to deliver on this promise for you.

Since your stay we have had a meeting with the staff and discussed the items you mentioned along with the importance of exceptional attention to detail.

You deserved better—a lot better—from us. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you to our Inn soon and provide you with the positive experience you have come to expect from us.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed in John's cabin which was a lot more rustic than the pictures showed. It reeked of smoke when we walked in and i figured out why when we started a fire. The wood burning fireplace doesnt seem to have a flue so you have to keep the glass shut and the smell has no place to go really. the bathroom was tiny and the shower was scary, we only stayed one night so i didnt have to use it thankfully. the hot tub was lovely, we had plenty of hot water and enjoyed it! we heard from 2 other couples that there hot tub's were either not working or didn't have enough hot water to fill them up, that would have been VERY upsetting to me! Anyhow, if we stayed in the summer I would have enjoyed the cabin more to have the windows open and enjoy the lovely view of the lake.. however, the $300 price tag on the room is a bit steep for what you get!

the tea time was lovely.. lots of options and good apps. we did the murder mystery dinner and i was not impressed. this was our first time doing any murder mystery type thing and i felt like it was very unorganized and not really explained. we were originally supposed to be in a large room with a circular type table but there was a bigger group in there so we were moved to a long rectangular table which made it hard to hear people at the opposite ends. it was really hard to eat your food while doing the murder mystery.. all four of us in our group were frustrated with it. the soup and salad were delicious, i had the chicken and it was cold as well as the green beans and baked potato. the desert was pretty good. i thought the service was great.. no complaints at all.

breakfast was served at 9 and very different than any other b&b i have stayed at. everyone was waiting in the lobby, they had coffee and tea available so most were just chatting. we were invited into the dining area at 9a and were served coffee, juice, water and fruit. shortly after we were served muffins and then a baked french toast thing with blueberries and some very gross sausage links. 3 issues with breakfast.. for about 20 minutes an older man who was the son of john spicer talked on and on about the history of the inn. i wouldnt have minded hearing that over tea in the afternoon but first thing in the morning when i want to eat, not fun. there were no shades on the windows so the sun was blaring right into my eyes.. i was not the only one annoyed with this. it would have been nicer if you could come to breakfast between a time frame like 8 - 10 and they had a few more options like toast, cereal and oatmeal. i am not a huge breakfast eater and would have been overly happy with juice, toast, maybe some yogurt.

the other couple we were with stayed in williams room.. very cute. small but nicely decorated. their hot tub was working and they loved it!

Room Tip: if you stay in the cabin you have a wonky ladder to deal with in the middle of the night plus in the winter its no fun walking back and forth from the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple