“Not coming back”
Review of Spicer Castle Inn

Spicer Castle Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Spicer B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2011

If I wanted to spend $300.00, it won't be here. My husband and I are the camping type, but this was much too much. The staff are kind, half of the food was good, but this place is a far cry from a bed and breakfast. Breakfast was orange juice, fruit, a muffin, and a little dish of bread pudding type stuff. We waited for the main dish but it never came. In a recession you have to think about were your money goes.... it will not be spent at the Spicer bed and 1/8 breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2011

My daughter asked me if we could get away and spend some time together at Spicer Castle Inn. She had been researching places that would be a short trip from the Twin Cities and stumbled upon their website. She was particularly excited to stay in the Jessie room. She liked the room 's location and layout, but was also excited by the fact that Jessie was the Spicer's daughter and rumored to have nearly been a passenger on the Titantic. My daughter planned our entire trip including arranging a babysitter for her younger siblings so that we could have our special get away. I called the Inn prior to the online registration to ensure we would get the room since she was so excited for that particular one. I was assured we would and so registered, paid the rquired fee and received our confirmation with the room assignment. When we arrived days later we were told they'd given someone else the room. We were devestated and they did not have any explaination or offer any sort of apology. They did let us chose from three other smaller and less desirable available rooms. We ended up deciding on Ruth's room. Lauren was very nice and friendly while showing us to the room. We noticed that the curtain was laying on the bed instead of up in the window. When Lauren tried to fix it for us the shade came crashing down and we were told someone would be able to come by within the hour to fix it. We decided to try and make the best of it. We began by cranking up the window air conditioning unit since the room was unbearably hot. It cooled down quite quickly and we were feeling optomistic till we went into the VERY tight bathroom and found 7 bugs crawling around the tub. At this point we decided to get out of the room and explore the property. What a dissapointment that was! The once beautiful estate seems to be literally crumbling down. We assumed from the websites photos that there was a beach or beach access. Don't bother packing your suits...There is only a mossy lagoon. The views of the lake and the lake itself are quite nice. We decided not to eat dinner or take the dinner cruise because we were feeling so dissapointed and drove into town to eat instead. We had a great time there and when we returned around 9 pm we were told from someone we'd never met before that our door was unlocked because she had just been in there due to all the "commotion upstairs". Since we had been at dinner we were unaware of any commotion but were hopeful that our window coverings might have been fixed. Of course when we opened the door we found them still there on the bed. We opened the door back up to ask her about it, but she was no where to be found. We chose to ignore the curtain situation and quickly change into our pjs before it got dark and we lost our privacy. As we moved the curtain off the bed we found a dead bug in the lace of the bed's accent pillow. We spent the next 2 hours talking and reading in our room. Suddenly, my daughter screamed and when I looked I noticed 3 bugs had landed on her arm and another 2 were on her cheek. Bugs were everywhere! They were on the reading lamp, all over the ceiling, walls and bathroom. The window was so covered in bugs that you could not even see out of it! My daughter was screaming and I was terrified! We turned off all the lights and ran down to the registration desk but of course it was late and no one was there. We went back up to our room and used my cell phone to call the number provided. It was answered very quickly and I explained that our room was infested with bugs and we needed to move to another. My daughter was begging me to sleep in the car by this point. The woman on the phone was very kind and told us to take any open room and call her back if needed. We took the Amy room across the hall simply because it was the closest. We turned on the window air conditioner and that room cooled down quickly as well but we still felt very uneasy. We were both very tired and started to fall asleep till we heard...drip...drip...drip! The tub which is only a few feet from the bed dripped all night! I only got a few fitfull hours of sleep. We went to breakfast the next morning which was ok. The view of the lake from the dinning room was very nice. Unable to sleep or bathe we were eager to check out. No one bothered to ask how we liked our stay or offered to comp us anything!!! I took photos of the bugs and dripping faucet etc. to document our experience. My daughter was devestated that the first trip she'd ever planned turned out so badly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank s0tagirl
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed in John's Cabin and participated in the Murder Mystery Dinner. What an amazing experience!!! We had such a wonderful time, the cabin was quait, comfortable and peaceful! The Inn was beautiful thank you for preserving all the history that the castle has! Dinner was excellent and the Murdery Mystery was fun - we had such a great group of people!!! Thank you again for making my 30th Birthday one that I will never forget!!! Can't wait to come back again sometime!!
Leah and Josh Waterman, Apple Valley, MN

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in one of the outdoor rooms with a jacuzzi tub. The weather was rainy but we enjoyed our quiet stay together. The breakfast was delicious. Next time we would like to stay when it isn't raining to enjoy the view of the lake. We ended up going to the Glacial Ridge Winery for a wine tasting. We had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2011

After reading some of the other reviews I can see how others may be disappointed but we really enjoyed our weekend at the Spicer Castle Inn.

With the inn being family run, service is not that of a 5 star resort but we weren't looking for that kind of service. We were looking for a getaway.

The room was small but clean. It did take a long time to fill the jacuzzi tub but any bathtub that size would take time. Yes, the toilet is in a closet but I've been smaller public restroom stalls. The gas fireplace was nice especially on a cold weekend. The refrigerator and microwave were nice too.

The mystery dinner started too late. It would have been better to start at least by 7pm. We had a group of 22 and it seemed to drag a little. It was also very hard to follow with that many people but everybody still seemed to have fun.

Overall we had a good weekend but I also believe how good of time you have, is what you make of it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My wife booked us a night with the murder mystery for my birthday. The whole experience is what you make of it. If you're looking for or expect 5 star service you will be disappointed. If you are looking for something different you may have a great time. It's clearly a family owned and operated faciity. We arrived about 4:30 and the woman who greeted us was on the phone giving directions to another guest. Not a big deal as we just waited a minute while she multi-tasked and was able to get us checked in.

We were shown to our room. It was very small, quaint, and cute. It's quite an old manor so the room comes complete with squeeky floors, an antique style desk, liitle sound privacy, and a decent bed. Again, if you are looking for luxury this place is not for you. But if you have an appreciation for the past you might be quite pleased with no television and the sound of other guests conversing or walking around instead. We grabbed some tea and spent the rest of our time relaxing in our room while we waited for the mystery dinner to begin.

The dinner was definitely a fun and new experience. Everyone dressed their part. There were several small groups of friends combined into one large group, but since your seat placement is predetermined it was quite easy to meet new people. The "detective" who introduced the mystery did a good job relaxing us with jokes - and a few beers helped as well. The food was good and the diversity of our fellow actors made for much laughter. We ended the dinner with group pictures as the group hung out and laughed some more before heading up to bed.

The breakfast in the morning was also nice as Allan (I believe) told us stories of the Spicer family, the castle, and varous tid-bits of history. If it was warmer we likely would have stayed to walk around the property and enjoy the view of the lake. Instead we just hit the road and talked about what a fun and different experience it was on the ride home. We had a good time and may head back with a few friends at some point.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We stayed at Spicer Castle for one night over the Valentines Day weekend. We were looking forward to it because it was suppose to be a romantic weekend getaway. We had planned on staying two nights. Unfortunately we had to cut our stay short. The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful; however, we stayed in John's Cottage and both the heating and the hot water went out. The staff felt bad and they comped us for the one night we stayed, although this was generous of them we were really hoping for a romantic weekend and spent most of the time in thick layers trying to stay warm and we couldn't enjoy the whirlpool as well. The Mystery Dinner on the other hand was phenomenal. We really enjoyed dressing up and meeting new people at the dinner.

Overall, if you're looking for a rustic weekend away from the busy life of the city this is a great place for you. If you are looking more for a luxury get away this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple