“I will NEVER recommend this motel to anyone ever-3-22-2013”
Review of Northern Inn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spicer
Northern Inn Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Spicer
Sanborn, Minnesota, United States
“I will NEVER recommend this motel to anyone ever-3-22-2013”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are from out of town and stayed at this motel. Never again. It is a NO SMOKING MOTEL, and I except that. Only two people in the room, and I am the only one that smokes, and NEVER smoked in the room. The original room charge was $79.99 plus taxes. We used a debt card to pay for room. Did my on-line banking on next business day and found they charged us $237.85. They claimed we smoked in the room. WE DID NOT. I contacted the Area Sheriff's Office and they said we could take them to small claims court, and also send a Letter to the Editor of the Lakes Area Review Newspaper telling of our experience. I am just so angry at this situation. How can any business do such an act of theft on their customers? Their accusations were FALSE and further more, they charge like they are some fancy motel. Staying in down town Minneapolis Motels are cheaper than their motel, and they offer more accommodations.Their continental breakfast was nothing but dried out bread, rolls, and available was only 1 cup of milk in a 1/2 gal. container for a motel full of people. They do not deserve to be in business if this is how they treat their customers..

Room Tip: Never STAY here, they debt your debt card UNFAIRLY.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Robin L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stuck in Spicer for a funeral service...rented several rooms in the off season and was charged full price for what was a dated, cheaply furnished, old style motel. For the price I paid, it should have been much better. Being in the hospitality industry myself, I think they could have much more attention to detail and upgraded linens...they even have a sign in the room asking you not to take the cheap old things!
The breakfast that is included was pretty bad too... Very basic self serve cold buffet with bad coffee and Styrofoam cups and plates which to me say "I am cheap and do not care about the environment."
Dont stay here...camp, rent a cottage, sleep in your car, whatever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Duluth
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Walking into an office in a hotel, usually tells you what the rooms are like, and the office gave off a good impression, decorated for fall, very clean and girl at desk was friendly. I must have been staying in a different hotel than the one review that is for sure, as didn't find this hotel dated. I have stayed in some bigger chain hotels and they still have the plastic glasses with plastic bags, actually that is better as that way you know no one has used them and they are clean. Our room was big, the bathroom was really small though, and the sink was on the other side of the wall, which I have never seen a set up like this before, have seen them as you enter the bath area. No biggy, just different. May I make a suggestion to the hotel, have your towel holder rack in the bathroom for the bath towels, instead of by the sink on the other side of the wall, and maybe just put a basket on the sink with the hand towels and wash clothes on the sink. Our room was very clean, and Hallways were clean also. Continental breakfast was just okay, wish there were more choices, some fruit would be nice, English Muffins, etc. Just a few more choices. Overall we really like this hotel, and next time down that way, we certainly won't hesitate to stay there. It was a little pricey compared to some bigger ones we have stayed in though, but being close to family was important, so best not complain I guess.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights in August. Anyone who remembers what an interstate Holiday Inn or Ramada Inn was like on a family roadtrip back in the 80's will feel right at home at the Northern Inn in Spicer. The rooms are basically clean and fairly well maintained. But, there are absolutely no modern ammenities. Remember the plastic bag covered cups? They have them. Along with cheap towels, those cheap foamy type of blankets, bad beds, few (and low quality) pillows, a vanity with no space at all to set things, no closet just the old metal wall rack to hang things, bad (and low quality) soaps and shampoo, no hair dryer etc. There is no laundry facility or business center. It is like they sealed a 1980's room and you rented it 30 years later. But, as I said nothing was broken, it was all just very dated.

The continental breakfast was very basic, but it was a nice touch. The best (and only) thing going for the hotel is the location. We were in town for a family event in Willmar and I wanted to stay near the lake and this was the only hotel (not cabins) near a lake. So, it worked in that regard as it was very nice to go for a walk on the beach of Green lake every morning. There is no view of the lake from the hotel though (except maybe 2 rooms?). One evening we went with other family members to Zorbaz and sat out by the beach for drinks and listened to the band and that was nice. However, I will say that when we arrived very late on a Friday evening the partiers were coming out of Zorbaz and they were very loud, even from across the street in the hotel parking lot. I would imagine if you were a light sleeper and had a room near that end it might wake you.

So, if you are feeling nostalgic, or just want to stay near Green lake, the VFW, Zorbaz or Mel's then this is a good place for you. But, if you want more modern conveniences look elsewhere such as the Holiday Inn in Willmar. If we had stayed for a week I would have preferred to stay at one of the area resort cabins like Dickerson's but for three days this got us at least near a lake.

Unfortunately we paid extra for a pool view room but this actually proved to be a negative because you could really hear the people in the pool from the room. And the balcony over the pool is not private and only has cheap furniture on it so we never used it. For $95 on the weekday and $130 on weekend you really should get better.

Room Tip: I think that two of the end rooms near the road may have a slight lake view. Ask to be on the side...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Spicer, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

i have found a very pleasent stay and a great bound with my stays,and would encourage all the stay, i have been greeted with the wonderful shaft members/owners,our only down fall would be we can,t stay longer then we do. but we will keep coming back...for as long as they r still here

Room Tip: top floor less noise,room 204 the best, great place to hold a pool party for the kids, close to eati...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at the Northern Inn for 2 nights to attend a wedding at the American Legion. We stayed in room 110.
Our first response to the room when we walked in was that it smelled. We later found out that it was the renuzit air freshener that must have been just put in the room and opened completely to try and hide some smell. The towels were very old and not soft at all. The beds were the worst part of all, as they seemed to be very old as they were hard, and had minimal support with how they sagged. On Sunday when we were checking out all of the continental breakfast things were gone by 1030am.
The positive is that it is right next door to the American Legion for the wedding, and across the street from Zorbas that was we went to the night before and is a very fun place.
For the price of a standard room I would expect much more, and if we were to return to the area we would drive to willmar for a much more comfortable nights sleep and value for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fergus Falls
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We had our Family Reunion early this year to share our new baby with everybody, we had great time, got a use of this nice weather not typical for March in Minnesota but it worked out great.
My nieces enjoyed the pool a lot.

Room Tip: they have a lot of room types that will accommodate smaller or larger family, poolside rooms are gre...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank M_SFF_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spicer
Days Inn Willmar
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Willmar
Paynesville Inn & Suites
Paynesville Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Paynesville

Been to Northern Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!