“Totally relaxing”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Murrebue
Washington, DC
“Totally relaxing”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We spent a few days at nZuwa Lodge and enjoyed it immensely. It is off the beaten path outside of Pemba, but you will be rewarded with great hospitality in a beautiful, peaceful setting. The tides here are extreme, and during the day locals dig for clams during low tide. We enjoyed exploring the tidal pools. Lunch is served by the sea and dinners around a fire near your cabin. Alex is a wonderful host and meals were very good.

Room Tip: Near the sea
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Thun, Switzerland
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed there 3 weeks for kitesurfing! We camped directly at the quiet beach! Very friendly and very helpful even for unusual wishes like a birthday cake :-)! Restaurant had very good food. Relaxed and uncomplicated atmosphere!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank guuser
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Not the most logical destination for a business trip, but my colleague and myself ended up here as the hotel we usually stay was full....and how much luck we had with that we realised as soon as we arrived!
The hosts had arranged a taxi pick-up for us from town, it's not that far from Pemba, about 20 minutes I would say.
Alex & Gianni are wonderful hosts and amazing cooks, the thee course dinner was to die for, but little did we know that breakfast the next day -in our case server on the beach where they had set up a table- was equally fab' with freshly baked rolls and muffins, scrambled eggs, fruit salad, yummie!
Having traveled a lot in "similar" beach destinations in Africa (Zanzibar, Mombasa etc), it was a breath of fresh air to see the beach SO deserted and without hawkers! You could just relax without being asked every three seconds if you wanted to buy something, so great!
Actually apart from some fishermen and some local women walking home, we saw nobody else on the beach.
Crystal clear waters, I had a great time going canoeing...only noticed my sunburn on the way to the airport ouch!
They are renovating briefly now, but will re-open very soon.
Can't wait to go back to this very special place!

Room Tip: The one chalet that's right on the beach is where I stayed, awesome...I think it's called Tu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FlyingGonzo_10
Harare, Mashonaland East, Zimbabwe
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived in Pemba with no pre-arranged booking (would not recommend this!), but we were so glad to find this lodge. The owners Alex & Gianni were extremely helpful & made arrangements for us at very short notice which we were very grateful for! The lodge itself is well laid out giving each bungalow its own privacy. The bungalows are equipped with all necessities, close to the beach & authentically decorated with very comfortable beds, all have Mozi nets & fans.
The beach is stunning & deserted most of the time! Although the tide goes out far we enjoyed walking towards the reef & wallowing in the shallow pools, it added something different. We felt very secure with the security guard on duty all the time & had no problem leaving our bags, cameras etc on the beach while we swam.
The lodge is quiet far from Pemba itself, +\- 12km on tar & down a dust road, which is maintained & not bad at all. We had our own transport, so this was no bother to us.

Hats off to Gianni & Alex on the food / service. Service is very personalised & food AMAZING! Everything is made fresh & I could not complain about 1 meal the whole time we were there (9 days).
All said - I cannot recommend a stay here enough. If I return to Pemba, I would not think about staying anywhere else.
Alex, Gianni - you are doing a fantastic job - thank you so much for all your help & such a fantastic stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lauranne4
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just spent an AMAZING weekend at nZuwa lodge with three girlfriends (all of us from the Peace Corps), and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! I had been to nZuwa Lodge a couple times before just for the food and conversation (Gianni and Alex are a riot!!!), so this was my first time staying over for the weekend, it was so serene and beautiful my entire stay! We were in the bungalows right on the beach - the beds were luxurious (the pullout couch was amazing too!) and I really enjoyed all the individual accents throughout the lodge and property, which really makes this place different from any other lodges around. They have more than just luxury bungalows though and a full restaurant bar is planned in the near future, as well as camping style accommodations. From what I can tell Gianna likes to host all types of people and caters to the budget conscious traveler as well as the more well off. I would definitely recommend this lodge if planning a trip to Pemba or surrounding area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KellyKJA
Estepona
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Though I am the mother of the owner Alex, and therefore my opinion might not sound objective, I have to say, that this place is amongst the most beautiful ones I have seen on my travels. Sleeping in the beach bungalow directly built in the sand, hearing the waves and the wind, gives absolut peace to your mind. Walking up to the main house in the morning, you are welcomed by a rich breakfast buffet, nicely decorated with flowers and mouthwatering, fresh fruits and banana muffins! The excellent three course dinner is served on the terrace, or brought to your room, nicely arranged. A real recommendation to people who love beach and bush and luxury at the same time!

Room Tip: Beach Bungalow "Turtle" give the feeling you are the only one on the compound!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank evitarifa
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This lodge is beyond compare! I had the pleasure of staying at Nzuwa with my friend. From the moment we arrived, it was red carpet service tailored to our needs/wants. It is a bit of a bush feel, but you have all the amenities you would need to make you comfortable. Electricity is good, the huts are well placed, and bed very comfortable. They have a very nice main lodge for relaxing and having a drink with friends. THE FOOD: the food was amazing! I not only found them to have the best food in town, but it is what I would hear from the locals who lived in Pemba itself. They will stop at nothing to make sure you have a great experience at every meal. The portions were hefty and full of flavor. They make most everything from scratch and it shows. Breakfast is served on the beach under a beautiful tree with your feet in the sand. Dinner is served via candlelight behind your hut or in the main lodge with the owners...either way amazing. We made a special request for a late meal as we were out drinking on the town and as soon as we arrived we had the staff following us down to our room with the freshly prepared meal. Cannot wait to return and eat lobster every day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Siamac m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murrebue
Ulala Lodge
AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa
Chuiba Bay Lodge
Chuiba Bay Lodge
#1 of 1 in Chuiba

Been to nZuwa Lodge? Share your experiences!