“No Loyalty to Their Membership Program”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shoreview
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I am a Club Carlson member and used my points to book a one night stay for my brother's 30th birthday. (28,000 points) I called the hotel twice to confirm that he was booked to a whirlpool suite - he was paying the room upgrade fee of $40 for the night. I was told by Ashley the front desk supervisor that he was for sure booked to whirlpool suite. When my brother arrived for his reservation they were sold out and he was told that there were no whirlpool suites available. The closest hotel that they were able to find that had a whirlpool suite available was in ELK RIVER! When I called and spoke with Ashley she informed me that her general manager overbooked them a whirlpool suite or that someone extended their stay and that is why there was no more suites left for my brother. Furthermore - they didn't even take care of his stay at the other Country Inn and Suites.

The worst part. I called the following Monday to discuss the situation with the general manager (Carl) and all he kept telling me was that because I was a Carlson hotel employee that somehow that is why I no longer had the whirlpool suite for my brother. (And he kept saying that the upgrade is based on availability and it was no longer available - which makes no sense because the room was already guaranteed to be a whirlpool suite according to Ashley.) So they bump my reservation because I'm an employee? Even though I was paying the same amount of Club Carlson points that any other member would have to pay? I asked him to refund me my 23,000 points that were used for my brother's stay in Elk River and he denied it, but offered me to stay with them a different time in one of their best suites. I rejected that offer. I don't want to stay at their hotel nor do I ever plan to. If this is how they take care of their rewards members by sending them to a hotel far away when THEY were the ones that overbooked a room type and on top of that not pay for it - I never would bring or recommend any business in their direction.

On a good note - the Elk River Country Inn and Suites was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kendra U
Carl E, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience here with us. For Carlson employees we always try our very best to upgrade them when the rooms are available. In this circumstance it was not available for upgrading due to being 100% full. I again apologize for this and would love to try and accomodate your request for a future date when we are not 100% full. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place is really nice and close to my regular visiting place. I would definetly stay at this place again. Breakfast was really good. Rooms were nice and well maintained. I did not get a chance to check out swimming pool but I guess it will be wonderful, too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Carl E, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your nice feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

It is great to hear you will be back again! Thanks for your business and have a great day!

-Carl Eriksson General Manager

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here with 5 Tweens for a birthday sleepover party on a Saturday night. Belinda and Kim were both very friendly and accommodating. The pool area is nice for kids. It has a water slide, small regular pool, a separate small wading pool for toddlers, and fair-sized hot tub. Seems to be a popular place for families and kids on the weekends because of the pool. They do have adult only swim after 10 pm. The woman who worked in the pool area was incredibly friendly, great with kids and tried to make sure everyone had a good time. Room was clean, but fan did not work in the bathroom. Normal continental breakfast with malted waffles and scrambled eggs, etc. Rooms are well soundproofed as neighbors said they couldn't hear our really noisy kids.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LikeLotsOfPillows
Carl E, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

We would love to see you again in the future!

Carl Eriksson- General Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Terrible experience - some hotel's responsibility, some chance. For hotel, pool looked very dirty. My 10 yr old and I didn't want to swim after we'd had a look. The hot tub looked ok but was full of rowdy hockey players who had also set off the fire alarm. Nice staff but hotel seemed unprepared to handle to problems of wild teenage hockey players. Topper was broken shower. Pass on ever staying again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank BethJ-Palik
Carl E, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, the pool area is currently undergoing a major renovation to make it beautiful once again! Please contact the hotel directly to discuss your stay.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We decided to stay at this Hotel for our Holiday Travels this year and booked a 3 night stay based on the reviews and location. When we arrived we found this Hotel to be lacking in several ways. I can say that the Pool area is completely disgusting. In fact, my daughter refused to Swim in it as the discoloration was terrible. Overall, we found the hotel to be dirty and not well kept. I checked out the same night and drove an hour to another Hotel that was much, much better (Holiday Inn Express). I did have a nice conversation the next day with the General Manager who was very kind but in all honesty I would never, ever stay in this location again. Unfortunately, this hotel chain is very dated.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WisconsinTraveler324
Carl E, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for your response! Please contact the hotel directly to further discuss your stay with us.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently with our grandchildren. We had a great stay. The front desk person(s) were all friendly and helpful. Our check-in was completed quickly and efficiently. We found our room on 3rd floor to be clean and inviting. The small fridge in the room came in handy for us. The pool was fun and refereshing. The pool liner is stained and appears dirty but as the manager of the pool area explained to us it is just the hard water used in the pool. She assured us the water was clean and I believe it was. There were many items available to choose from for breakfast. The coffee and teas were GREAT!

Room Tip: If you want to use the waterslide be sure to ask at reservation time if it will be up and running fo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel and I had a suite which was not allowed by my company. I went down stairs to exchange for a regular room. They asked would it be acceptable with my company if they let me stay in the suite at the regular room price. I said yes indeed. That was so refreshing because the suites are awesome. The property is very clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: This property is located near an Interstate highway and a well traveled local highway. Could be a d...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shoreview
Best Western Plus St. Paul North/Shoreview
Hampton Inn & Suites Lino Lakes
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis St. Paul-Shoreview
Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis-New Brighton
Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coon Rapids

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Shoreview? Share your experiences!