“Not a good value”

Best Western Shakopee Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Shakopee
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Staff seemed stressed and were constantly fixing billing mistakes for clients whenever I went to the front desk. They wouldn't give us extra bedding for the couch and the cot we rented ($10 another charge I had been told we wouldn't pay for) they were both very uncomfortable. This was a suite room with a jacuzzi tub and king bed. You would think they would care a little more. They over charged us for the room (as per the quote I got on the phone when I booked it). They did change it to the price I was quoted after I complained. On a positive note they had free old arcade and pinball machines all over the place which were cute. The pool was nice to. The free hot breakfast was really crowded and I had to tell front desk they were out of batter and orange juice. This was a Friday/Saturday booking. Bottom line: over priced. Will book elsewhere next time I'm back for the Minnesota Renaissance Festival.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
BWShakopee, Director of Sales at Best Western Shakopee Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear guest,

We would like to first of all thank you for having stayed with us. We really do appreciate your business.

Regarding the troubles that you did have with your room, please contact us so that we can make it right for you. We do hope to have your family stay with us again.

Thank you again for your business.

Respectfully,

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here two nights and were very happy with everything. The free arcade games were fun for the kids and even the adults. (I would have to agree with another review though some of the games are in need of minor repairs) The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was great; one of the best hotel breakfasts we have ever had. The staff was very accomadating. We will definetely be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay and your kind words. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very nice place. I would stay here again. Room was clean, everything worked as it should. They even included single size toothpaste in the bathroom. Free arcade games are a nice touch. Breakfast was good. The staff was Very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: We had a jacuzzi suite and it was very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for the terrific review. We are glad you had a great stay in the Jacuzzi suite and we look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked this hotel on Hotwire but when I arrived was told I could not have a non-smoking room unless I paid more. So essentially I paid their regular rate and might as well have not tried to book with Hotwire to save money for my organization. The public areas of the hotel were in dis-array with the breakfast area filthy with garbage strewn around, sticky syrup on the tables....it clearly had not been cleaned up after breakfast even though this was at 3:30 pm in the afternoon! Late at night (10:45 pm and after) children were running and yelling in the hallways and hotel staff did not do anything to stop it. The bed and pillows were lumpy and uncomfortable. If you are a business traveler who wants a clean, reasonably quiet hotel in the price range that this hotel is in, you will not want to stay here. You will get way more for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan T
BWShakopee, Director of Sales at Best Western Shakopee Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would first of all like to thank you for staying with us. I would like to add that, as you may have discovered, that booking through 3rd party websites, such as Hotwire, can be a risky propostion. These reservations are 'run of house', meaning that the agency you make the reservation through could assign you a room type that you may not want, such as the smoking room that Hotwire sent your reservation to us as when you made your reservation. We don't even get your phone # to be able to confirm if you wanted smoking. As for the non-smoking suite that you were given, it is the hotel's perogative to charge additional if the guest wishes to get the non-smoking room they had wanted, even if that room type is a higher priced room. In looking at your reservation, we did not even charge full rate for the jacuzzi suite you were given.

We certainly do apologize for any noise that you may have heard. Our desk staff is trained to tell kids not to run in the halls when we are able to catch them running and look into any noise disturbance. I do apologize as well for the unsightliness of the breakfast area in the afternoon. We do try to clean up as soon afterwards as possible, but once in a while, it does get missed until housekeeping gets caught up. I am surprised that our suite was not to your liking, as we generally have very good reviews on our jacuzzi suites. I hope that our desk staff might have been able to address any concerns with your room during your stay.

Thank you again for your review and your business. I hope that we might be able to have you stay with us again in the future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you’re looking for a hotel that is clean, well managed, and within spitting distance to Valley fair without breaking the bank, you won’t do better than these folks. Let me say that my wife and myself have had to pack up and leave hotels in the past for things like smoke smell, uncleanliness, dampness etc. We aren’t easily pleased and if I take the time to say something positive, it has been earned.

Having read some of the reviews, and smoke being a deal breaker for us, we can’t say we noticed any smoke smell, and would have noticed immediately. The room was very clean, the management genuinely friendly and eager to please.

This location is approximately a five minute drive from Valley fair and a minute away from the best Mexican restaurant we’ve been to yet- El Toro. Having visited Minneapolis a couple of times, this location was refreshing as we were able to stay out of most of the meat grinder traffic one incurs in the city proper.

For a free breakfast, I was impressed with the selection, though I would recommend switching out the sausage for bacon or ham once in awhile. The family was pleased with the salt-water pool, no annoying chlorine smell - nice touch. The free arcade was a big hit with the kids and they made a few friends there, however, I would recommend repairing the games that were out of order.

The staff was ready with maps and recommendations and supplied us with detergent at no cost when we found ourselves in need of the in-house laundry facilities. Being a garden guy, I found the roses and other flora surrounding the hotel a pleasure.

Rarely upon arrival does one have the feeling that a hotel is well managed by competent people who obviously see hospitality and the service they provide as an extension of their character. You will find that here. Clearly one of the best hotel experiences we’ve had, our compliments.

Room Tip: As a family of five, the double double room occupancy limit of 4 was waived and there was room enoug...

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words! We really love that you had such a terrific stay and we hope to see you again with us really soon.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. The room was clean. The breakfast was very good - eggs, waffles, sausage, biscuts and gravy, fruit, mini donuts, cereal, bagels, 4 juices, coffee, milk and more. Get down there early though if you don't want to be fighting the crowd for the food. Staff was friendly and helpful. It was quiet. Nice pool, and air hockey table. Arcade. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
BWShakopee, Director of Sales at Best Western Shakopee Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay and your great review.

We hope to have you stay with us again in the future when you are in our area.

Until then, enjoy the rest of your summer!

Best Western PLUS Shakopee Inn

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our family made a trip to the cities to visit family and take in some local attractions. The room was clean and comfortable. We noticed the smell in which everyone is talking about but we have stayed in many places that were much worse. The hospitality of the staff was truly amazing. Very seldom does one find a hotel that the staff is willing to work so hard for their patrons. It worked for me, and I can't wait to stay here again in the future. I will also recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your terrific review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Best Western PLUS Shakopee Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shakopee
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minneapolis SW - Shakopee
Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
#1 of 1 in Prior Lake

Been to Best Western Shakopee Inn? Share your experiences!