“Favorite Mexican restaurant in MN”

El Toro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 79 Restaurants in Shakopee
Cuisines: Mexican
“Favorite Mexican restaurant in MN”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I love this place! Especially the white dip they provide you with the chips and salsa. Not sure what's in it, but it's addicting and SO yummy.

Lunch time specials are very reasonable with perfect portion size. Enough to be full, not enough to be uncomfortable, unless you've overdone it on the aforementioned chips and dip.

Diner is a bit more expensive, but portion sizes do increase as well.

• Visited March 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“My favorite Mexical Restaurant”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I love this place! We have eaten here several times and gotten takeout too. The food is always excellent and the service is great. You get a lot of food for the price. Can't wait to eat there again soon!

shakopee, Minnesota, USA
“Authentic without the side effects”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I live in Shakopee and frequent El Toro more than any restaurant in town with my kids. They serve solid entrees across the board at reasonable, if not inexpensive prices. Their fresh made chips and salsa are very good and like night and day better than anything you get at Don Pablos, Pepitos or Chipolte. I personally get their Jalapeno salsa (free, but freshly made HOT!) and let my kids eat the mild. My kids, and frequently their friends as well, eat for $5. That includes a drink (for my kids authentic Horchata), a decent sized kids portion burrito, taco, enchilada, etc served with rice and beans. It also comes with fried ice cream or sopapilla for dessert.
Their mexican rice is fantastic, my kids cannot get enough and I crave it when I'm stuck at another restaurant that doesn't compare. As far as entrees, they are all good, I typically get a beef or chicken entree, but my favorite is the combo mexican fajitas with beef and chicken.
Additionally they serve many different kids of beer and tequila, as well as a good house margarita. The other day I had a couple of Dos Equis dark beers on tap. Crisp, clean and delicious, no flat keg here.
The service is decent overall, but there are certain servers who just don't speak enough english and have screwed up an order occasionally for me to give 5 stars. I have my favorite servers who really take care of me when they are there! IF I continue to get the service I've had the last couple of times I visited, I'll move my rating to 5.0 stars. They also have a mariachi band that goes from table to table on occasion. Give this place a try, it will grow on you right away.

• Visited January 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I'm writing this review so that when I forget it's name, as I do, I will be able to recall it. I took my father (who came along grudgingly) and two others; we all left big fans. I had a very tasty taco salad but the colossal beer(s) I had hinder my recall of what others had but I'm advised it was all well received.
A friendly family run operation, this place is a gem.

Visited December 2011
High Point, North Carolina
“Muy bueno!”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Great food, good service, and reasonable prices. I was visiting area on business and ate here twice, it was that good.