“The Place to Stay”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Shakopee
Minnesota
“The Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We started our Shakopee vacation at the Canterbury Inn across the street from this hotel and learned that "you get what you pay for" still applies. After that horrible experience I found the AmericInn and my vacation was saved! Super friendly front desk staff, clean rooms, beautifyl pool (with a waterslide! Wow!) my two boys (8&5) loved it! If all of their hotels (I admit I'd never head of this chain) are this nice, they have earned a loyal customer by just one visit!

Lizzy B

• Liked — Employees appeared to like their jobs.
  • Disliked — Price was a bit higher than others, but well worth it in the end.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank natetheplumber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Minnesota
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Loved the hotel. Breakfast was best I've ever had including the fruit topping for the waffles. My boys really enjoyed the waterslide.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hot_mommaMinnesota
winnipeg
Reviewed July 4, 2005

We (family of four, kids aged 7 & 10) stayed here for 2 nights in early July to go to Valleyfair and the Mall of America. I paid $80/night which I thought was kind of steep, but they advertised that they had a "waterpark" on the premises so I thought the kids would enjoy it. The "watherpark" turned out to be a baby pool with a tiny slide, and one average sized water slide that they shut down for 15 minutes every hour. The pool water was so cold that my daughter could not even go in, although my son had a blast on the slide. The hours of operation are a bit convoluted, make sure you check ahead so you are not disappointed. The hotel itself looks nice and new, although up on the 3rd floor there was a kind of funky, stale smell in the lobby. The rooms are okay, nothing is really bad, but I guess for $80 I just expected a bit more. The desk staff were helpful and the location is not far from Valleyfair, about a 5 minuted drive. If you could get a room for about $60 here, I would say that represented good value. Other than Valleyfair and Canterbury Park (race track) there is not much to see. The track is directly across the street.

I guess the biggest disappointment would have been the breakfast. I had never stayed at an Americinn, but they are known for their free breakfasts, which are supposed to have a good variety way beyond the usual free continental breakfast of stale muffins and bruised fruit. Well, these guys didn't even have the fruit! Admittedly, there was 2 waffle machines, but talk about unhealthy, how can you not even offer a single apple? I have had better "free breakfasts" at most hotels. This one had a VERY limited selection, my advice is go to the Mcdonald's across the street, its worth the few extra bucks!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank kidsmom95
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2005

We only stayed one night on our way to Nebraska but wish we could have spent more time there because the sauna & whirlpool are great! Also nice having a coffeemaker in the room and a free breakfast. Room was clean & quiet & bed was ok. Good value for price compared to other places in Shakopee.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shakopee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Minneapolis/Shakopee
#6 of 12 in Shakopee
AmericInn Chanhassen
AmericInn Chanhassen
#2 of 4 in Chanhassen

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park? Share your experiences!