“good location in Shakopee” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Shakopee
Detroit Lakes
“good location in Shakopee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

The hotel is very clean and the desk staff is very friendly. We have stayed at this hotel several times. The pool area is small but fun for kids with the slide and kiddie pool with mini slide. The whirlpool was luke warm at best during our stay. We did inform the front desk and were told they added water so give it time and it would heat up. The next day it was no better. We told the pool attendant who said she'd leave the maint. man a note. The following day, still the same. They just needed to turn up the temperature but didn't seem to want to do so. It's frustrating to get out of a hot tub and be freezing. The mattresses need to be replaced. You will roll to the middle of the bed. The breakfast is very good. I would stay here again but will hope they do some upgrading.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
sioux city, iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

this was an excellent hotel, both for myself and wife as well as our for children. i would clearly tell friends and family as well as all others to stay here. nice accomodations, the pool slides were great entertainment for myself and the kids, and the value was good. the staff was very postive and helpful. we will stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank maynardinsux
South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

We've stayed at this AmericInn in Shakopee 2 times now & have had good stays. This is
our base of operations when we go to the Cities for family travel. In Shakopee instead of by the Mall of America -it is more reasonably priced & affordable. A short drive will take you to Mall of America, Minnesota Zoo, Malls, Valleyfair etc... This is a very quiet hotel..never heard any hallway noise or noise from rooms next door. DId have some traffic noise as it's close to 2 major roads..but we just turned our room fan on & then it was fine. Continental breakfast included.. standard with Cereals, breads, muffins, bagels, juices.. waffles too which were good. I did wish though they would have had fresh fruit. We enjoyed the pool which has a waterslide as well as a toddler pool with a slide & a hot-tub/sauna. The pool was almost empty every night we were there which was nice. Pool water temp was perfect. Our room was a 1 bedroom suite with a King in the bedroom with the bathroom.. then french doors to the living room with queen sofa sleeper the kids used. Fridge & microwave.. large bathroom counter. Very clean. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank sd2travel
Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

This is the first time I've bothered to look a hotel up and leave a review. But I just had to.
My husband and I stayed at this hotel with my folks and our 3 kids. We booked the king room suite and a standard king room for 2 nights. First impression is very good. And the slide and pool area sold us. We weren't looking for a waterpark...just a little fun for the kids.
But when we got the kids ready to go to the pool, there were problems. It was a weekend night....and the pool at this hotel evidently was the local place to party. It was already small and now very over crowded and the air was extremely warm. There were at least 12 people in the small hot tub drinking and partying until close. There were many open cans of beer and wine boxes out. Not kid friendly...of course, unless if you party with your toddlers around...then this is the place for you.
We told the kids they could swim the next morning. They did, however as soon as they got to the pool...the slide they advertise closed. It closes 15min out of every hour. And the entire pool is closed from 11am-3pm. At 3 pm when it opened once again the pool was very over crowded. We're talking rediculusly so. The hotel rents out party rooms and then all those people stay to party at the pool until close.
The breakfast was overcrowded and messy. We had to clean a messy table to sit down.
However, the coffe was good.
When we got home, I realized I had left a bag in the room. We called several times and they said they couldn't find it. I guess we'll never know what happened to it. But it left a bad taste with us...even tho we ultimately blamed ourselves for leaving it.
As far as the room,
Our suite was really hot. (next to the over crowded pool) and the bed wasn't comfortable....they really need to add some kind of pillow top matress cover or something? It was a hard skinny mattress.
Definitely Not worth the $ we spent.

• Liked — the coffee
  • Disliked — small over crowded pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BeckyR33
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

My family and I just loved the AmericInn! Great staff, very helpful, just made our stay. We came for the attractions - Valleyfair and the Renaissance Festival are very close (so is the casino and horse track), and the hotel is in a convenient spot off the highway. The hotel has a fantastic pool area, complete with 2 water slides - a little one into a kiddie pool for toddlers, and a big one for older kids. Make sure you bring life jackets for your younger kids, though, as the slide really has a strong current into the pool. Nice breakfast (but could use some fresh fruit, hint, hint!), lots to choose from, well-attended by staff. Mpls. Star Tribune delivered free to your door every morning, which is great!
I was surprised at how dated the rooms were, considering how updated and lovely the lobby was. The rooms are average, not roomy, but clean. I wish I would have requested a mini-fridge when I made my reservation, as they were out when I checked it. Also, be wary of candy from the vending machine by the front desk - twice I got melted chocolate!
There are some nice takeout/delivery places nearby - there was a local pizza/pasta place who delivered that was very reasonable - just be sure to ask for plates, forks and napkins! Also, the hotel had discounted tickets available for Valleyfair and the Renaissance Festival - much cheaper than you could get other places (the local Chamber of Commerce also sells discounted tickets) - and the convenience of not waiting in line was great!
My family and I are looking forward to staying here again next summer! Oh - there is an $11/off coupon on the Shakopee Chamber of Commerce website, as well as in their Shakopee area coupon book you can request online. There are other hotel, restaurant and attraction discounts in there as well.

• Liked — Convenient location, great pool/water slide, nice breakfast
  • Disliked — Dated rooms, view isn't nice, rooms not very big
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank NorthernMNfamily
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

We started our Shakopee vacation at the Canterbury Inn across the street from this hotel and learned that "you get what you pay for" still applies. After that horrible experience I found the AmericInn and my vacation was saved! Super friendly front desk staff, clean rooms, beautifyl pool (with a waterslide! Wow!) my two boys (8&5) loved it! If all of their hotels (I admit I'd never head of this chain) are this nice, they have earned a loyal customer by just one visit!

Lizzy B

• Liked — Employees appeared to like their jobs.
  • Disliked — Price was a bit higher than others, but well worth it in the end.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank natetheplumber
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2007

Loved the hotel. Breakfast was best I've ever had including the fruit topping for the waffles. My boys really enjoyed the waterslide.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hot_mommaMinnesota
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shakopee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Minneapolis/Shakopee
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Chaska
Valley Inn Shakopee
Valley Inn Shakopee
#6 of 12 in Shakopee

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park? Share your experiences!