“Great price, not so great pool...”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Shakopee
La Crosse
“Great price, not so great pool...”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel is very well kept and is great for the price, if you don't have kids who want to swim. Room was comfortable for the most part, the breakfast was really nice, the location is great, but the pool leaves much to be desired. When we checked in it was closed and would open once they got the chemicals figured out. It opened and we went about 8pm. The kiddie pool was a good temp and my son was able to play, but the regular pool was frigid and could not be used (by me or my family anyway). The hot tub was warm and the dial for the jets was across the room. The second night we went back to the pool hoping that it had warmed up and it was still frigid and the kiddie pool was closed (a couple of signs posted by the kiddie pool said it was beyond the management's control, so not sure if it got peed in or what). I just let the kids swim in the hot tub since no one was in it and it wasn't hot. Very disappointed in the pool though. That was the reason that the hotel was chosen, the pool and water slide. I assume that the pool closures were out of the hotels control, but I've been at plenty of hotels where the water is comfortable enough to swim in, so I know that the temperature could have been increased. Whether or not there would have been enough time to notice that increase during our 2 night stay, I can't say. REALLY would have liked to have been able to use the hotel for the reason it was chosen.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Pamela K, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Jennifer H.,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Our pool area has recently been renovated and refreshed! Our hotel is currently going through renovations. We are going to be renovating the rooms, public areas and lobby. Thank you again for your review! Please give us a call next time your in Shakopee!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The staff at Americinn was very friendly and attended to all my needs promptly. Their customer service was phenominal and their pool area was beautiful. You can really tell their renovations are going nicely. The rooms were clean and spacious. I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley R
Dear Ashley R.,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service and cleanest rooms in the north! Our pool area is refreshed and our rooms are taking shape! Please give us a call next time you're in Shakopee!
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The staff at the americinn in shakopee MN are very nice and go out of there way to help you. The rooms are well maintained. (clean) There are places to eat right across the street as well as many other businesses. Very good price for the rooms depending on the day. They also have a cool water park for the kids. For the experience it's the best hotel i've stayed at.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Pamela K, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Shawn O.,

Thank you for letting us know how we are doing. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service and clean comfortable rooms for our guests. We do have a great location with Valleyfair right down the road and Canterbury Park right across the street! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you as our guest again soon!
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Here is the actual email I sent to the Customer Service department for AmericInn and the response I received. We will not be staying at this location, or any other AmericInn hotel, in the future.

My email:
I had reserved three queen rooms earlier last week. Because of the poor reviews I had read on TripAdvisor, I called to specifically ask about the pool. I was told that the ceiling had recently been redone, which is why it had been closed, but would be open for our stay.

When I first arrived, I was able to check in and find my room (one of three). Unfortunately, we had to drag our belongings through the lobby and hotel since the key reader for the side door nearest our room was not working. I immediately noticed the strong smell of carpet adhesive.

My sister and her family were able to check into their room (two of three) just a bit later - again having to bring all their luggage and gear through the entire hotel. They also noticed the adhesive smell in their room.

While waiting for our final group to arrive, we brought the kids to the pool. It was very disappointing. Not only was the smell of varnish (from the freshly redone ceiling) overwhelming, mixed with the smell of the chlorine, it immediately triggered a headache for me. I also noticed that the pool water was extremely cloudy and not clear like it should be. My brother is a maintenance engineer at an apartment complex and has told me that cloudy pool water indicates a high level of bacteria. We pulled the kids from the pool.

After leaving the pool, we went to get some dinner and go to a hockey game. We returned about 7:15 and our final group checked into their room (three of three). At this point we got smart and had someone hold the side door so they could bring their luggage in quickly. The first room they entered was occupied, so she returned to the desk to inform the manager. When they gave them a second room, they attempted to enter and, again, entered an occupied room.

While this was all taking place, our hallway (which were all no smoking) filled with cigarette smoke. We were not sure if the smoke was from someone smoking in a room or if it was from the smokers outside the side door who had the door propped open (because the key reader didn't work). Either way it was a horrible smell and mixed with that of the carpet adhesive, it was just too much.

We had reserved these rooms to celebrate the 6th birthdays of my son and my niece. At this point, without being able to swim, still not sure if we were going to get a third room, the smoke and glue smell, and also the fear that someone might come walking in on us, we decided to move hotels. We packed up all the balloons, party decor, cake, presents, and all our luggage and coolers and found another place to stay. It was 8:00 pm.

I can honestly say that this was the most horrible hotel experience we have ever had. Because of the age of our children (2, 6, 6, 9, 10, 12) who love to swim, we frequent hotels, especially in the winter. We were excited to try this hotel because of its proximity to the hockey tournament I was playing in and the water slide and children's pool.

I want to bring this to you attention so that these issues can be addressed. Staff was friendly, but not very anxious to help. The manager offered to upgrade our rooms, but it was too late and not sure it would have offered much of a chance. We were not charged for the rooms, for which I was appreciative.

Thank you for your time and attention to this email.

The response to my email from AmericInn:
Thank you for bringing your recent experience to the attention of our AmericInn Guest Relations Department. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay at the AmericInn of Shakopee, MN. We very much appreciate you sharing with us what you encountered, as feedback like this allows us to consistently improve as a brand to better serve all of our guests. Please be assured that I will be putting in a report internally within our Guest Relations Department for future review and training, as well forwarding a copy directly to hotel management for their records.

It is certainly not acceptable that you had to encounter such strong smells and organizational errors that prevented you from enjoying your stay at this location. There is room for improvement and I am confident that your comments will be utilized to fix the problems you mentioned. I hope that you are able to return in the future at this location so you can provide us the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. Please let us know if you ever have any additional questions or comments, and I thank you again for your time in reporting this.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole L
Pamela K, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Nicole L.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do remember your party of three rooms. I am very sorry you encountered some issues in regards our renovations. We have been working diligently to get everything completed so that it does not interrupt our guests quality of stay. Good news is, the pool renovation is completed and the carpet is almost completed in our rooms. I believe I spoke with your husband and offered to host a pool party in our "Splash Bay Adventure" for you and your family on us! Please give me a call at your earliest convenience at 952-445-6775 so that I can reserve this for you! I look forward to hearing from you!
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

For the price, the hotel was nice. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. All of the staff were very nice and helpful. The breakfast was ok...some food wasn't restocked later in the breakfast service. The pancake maker is great! We would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Pamela K, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Kelli W,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. The pancakes are delicious! We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer and having a clean hotel, thank you for your comments. Please give us a call next time your traveling through Shakopee, we would love to have you as our guest again!
Savage, Minnesota
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

What a great place for a a great price! We had a king size bed with a fireplace and whirlpool! It was a great stay! My only recommendation for the hotel is to have the hot tub in the pool area to be at a hotter temp.

• Stayed April 2014
Pamela K, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Cmjohnson33,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Our whirlpool fireplace rooms are the best! I will make sure to crank the hot tub up (just under what code allows) next time you stay with us :) Thank you for your great comments and we look forward to having you as our guest again soon!
Long Prairie
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We loved the convenience, only 14 miles to twin cities, and quiet comfortable room at a VERY decent price! Loved the quietness. Best restaurant in area is Dangerfield's, excellent price for quality food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Dear Cheryl J.,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Dangerfields is amazing. Our location is prime due to not being right "in" the city but just close enough! Give us a call when your in Shakopee again, we would love to have you as our guest again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shakopee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Minneapolis/Shakopee
#6 of 12 in Shakopee
AmericInn Chanhassen
AmericInn Chanhassen
#2 of 4 in Chanhassen

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Shakopee - Canterbury Park? Share your experiences!