“Good Malt Shop!”

Tommy's Malt Shop
Ranked #4 of 53 Restaurants in Savage
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were driving by on our way to DQ next door and stumbled upon Tommy's. We decided to go in here for a Malt versus drive thru DQ. The atmosphere is OK, feels a little closed in and dark with the paint color. We each got a malt that was very good and a basket of fries to share that came out hot and fresh. We would come back here again to try the burgers and have another malt!

1  Thank JamLkvlMN
There are newer reviews for Tommy's Malt Shop

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love the atmosphere here and the Malts!!! Great place for a date! Or just some family fun! They have the feel of the 1950's and the look too!

1  Thank AngeliqueBruggeman
Reviewed June 5, 2014

These malts are incredible. You can mix any of their flavors and my favorite is the chocolate/coffee malt...YUMMM!!!

They also have great burgers. I seem to usually get the one with portabella mushrooms on it. Service is great, price is great.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I hate to be the buzzkill because I love that a place like this opened in Savage. So here it goes anyway.

This spot has hosted a large number of now defunct restaurants. As I entered I could feel the ghost of Paradise Pizza. OK, not really. Actually the malt shop type vibe is nice for a small place. The sound of blenders is close by if you sit in the second row.

We did not try a malt/shake. Probably should have.

Appetizer Cheese Curds. D+. Very small little curds with too much breading. Nothing like the larger stuff you get at the fair.

Main entree: Burgers and fries. Both of our burgers were thin and a bit overcooked. They also did not have the flavor of places like Lions Tap or even Smashburger. The bun is the star. We tried the regular and Tommy's burger. C

Fries were very good. The regular fries were a step above many places (including Lions tap). Waffle fries had a seasoning with a nice kick. Sweet potato fries were a bit thin and oily. Still, the highlight. B

So all and all an average burger meal. We'll try it again with a shake to see if that helps. Just wish the burgers were thicker, juicier, and more flavorful.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Contradicting a previous comment. Skip the food and go for the malts. To the owners: The service we received was good, though with all the new employees it all seemed chaotic. I understand the malt machines are not the quietest things in the world but the noise is almost unbearable when your busy. Please find a way to deflect the sound away from the dining area. The quality of the food offered needs a looking at. I would gladly pay a little more for a better burger. The malts we had were great, but dont be afraid to add a little more flavoring. It's not a bad start. We will try again soon.

1  Thank Zeven81

Been to Tommy's Malt Shop? Share your experiences!