“GREAT Place :)”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Sauk Centre
Courtland,Mn
“GREAT Place :)”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have stayed here off / on for the past 4 years. The rooms are clean,affordable,and if there ARE any problems the owners-Wayne and Jo-Ann will with out fan-fare take care of them for you..

Another "home" away from home. Attn Truck Drivers: There is room to park your Big Rig here if you want a night or two out of that Truck..!! :)

Room Tip: If you ask for a room on the North side;you will hear no traffic noise from I-94
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Right off of I-94, next to many restaurants, Wal-mart etc. Very nice staff. Decent rooms for price. Clean, allows dogs.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank daisymae531
Fort Calhoun NE
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Room was dated and in need of new carpet etc. Bathroom was old and out dated. A/C was terrible and must have been made int eh 60s.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rbuck70

Travelers are raving about these Sauk Centre hotels

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I was travelling with my 17 year old son to do a college visit about four hours from home. We decided to break up the trip so we wouldn't have to drive the whole eight hours round trip in one day. Without knowing the area, I made a reservation here based on the what the "America's Best Value Inn" website said. The website gave it four stars "the best of the best". This couldn't be further from the truth...
The website gave us a 20% discount on a non-smoking room with two queen beds with the card they offer and had no additional charges for children 0-17. Well, I get to the motel and they say they did not have my reservation. I went out to my car and showed the motel clerk the confirmation I had printed out. After looking at it for a while, she finally looked over at the fax machine and said they must have forgot about it. They did not have a non-smoking room with two queen beds anymore so we had to settle on a non-smoking room with one king size bed. We took it because it was getting late and I was tired. No apologies were given for this!!! The room was a dive, I killed a small centipede in the bathroom, it was dirty, mildewy, the shower had a cement floor, I should have listened to my instincts and left. We sufferd through it. In the morning, when I went to check out, the guy clerk said they had adjusted my rate... UP! They said because I had two people in the room, it was a higher rate and they did not honor the 20% discount shown on their own website! He said children are only free if they are under 13. I showed the clerk their website on my laptop and he said he didn't deal with the internet, this is what the rate was... about $15 higher than what the website charged me. I can't believe they can just charge my credit card more than what there website says, so I am going to fight it base on principle. This place gives "Mom and Pop" motels a bad name. Worst customer service ever!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank happy_mom_with_kids
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I booked this room for our trip based on statements on the America's Best Inn website. The room was the least expensive around for the busy season, summer, and the website claimed the motel offered free WiFi in every room.

The double room was spacious and the shower had good water pressure. However, the WiFi did not work at all. The carpet was crummy indoor/outdoor stuff that needed a good steam cleaning. It was late so we went to sleep on beds with tiny, lumpy pillows and resolved to deal with the WiFi issue the next day. The shower needed some attention. The paint was peeling and mildew was evident. The WiFi could not be transmitted to our room so they moved us to a room closer to the modem. The WiFi still didn't work there.

As you can see from the pictures the room decor is from the 1980s. We really needed the convenience of being able to check email and look up information on the Internet during the trip so we decided to leave after two days. If we had sat out in front at the picnic tables I suppose the WiFi might have worked but, it's hard to do that at 11:00 p.m.

I would not stay here again. Next time I'll pay a little more and get a more modern room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank PersonintheVicinity
Claremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 26, 2002

Just off Interstate Highway 94 on Highway 71 in Sauk Centre Minnesota I found the Gopher Prairie Motel. I was in the area for my twenty year High School Reunion which was being held in a town nearby. I chose the motel for several reasons not the least of which was price. It was a 1970's price. A price that you just don't find here on the east coast. I was delighted. The Thorson family has owned and run the place for nearly 30 years and they were very insightful about the local goings on. They were also attentive to my personal needs and wants. The room had a coffee machine,cable TV and a refrigerator and the premises had a game room my kids enjoyed for hours. It was a pleasant half mile walk to Sinclair Lewis Avenue and the Original Main Street where we ate at the famous Ding-Dong Cafe. We even saw a gopher. We had a terrific stay at this quaint and wonderful hotel made all the more special by the Thorson's true Minnesota hospitality. The Gopher Prairie Motel is you best bet in "Sauk".

8 Thank daniel h
Best Western Alexandria Inn
#2 of 12 in Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Alexandria

Been to Gopher Prairie Inn? Share your experiences!