“Will always be a repeat customer!”
Review of Palmer House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sauk Centre
Palmer House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sauk Centre
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I have stayed at the Palmer House several times when in the area, and I will continue to do so. The atmosphere of this historic hotel is absolutely charming. From the tin ceilings and classic style cafe, to the warmth of the fireplace in the lounge, it just feels like home. Kelley and the Staff at the Palmer are always accomodating and helpful. And Kelley is always more than happy to tell a story or two about the history of the hotel and some of the 'residents.' And then there's the food! I've never had a meal that didn't taste wonderful. Who knew a simple grilled cheese sandwich could taste sooo good! Don't even get me started on the great desserts, I ususally get one to go when I check out! The location is great as well, you're right on main street with easy access to shopping and exploring. Plus there's a great park only a couple blocks behind the hotel. I'll be back again and again and again, well, you get the picture.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Palmer House Hotel

Reviewed September 9, 2007

The Hotel itself is a fun place but the service or should I say lack of service ruined our stay. There was no one at the front desk to check us in-the waitress from the restaurant had to check us in after about a 20 minute wait-there also was no one to check us out . Then when we ate lunch at the restaurant they messed up my husbands order and then argued that he said he didn't want the chips that went with the meal-which never happened. We didn't go back for any other meals. There was no parking available at the hotel, we had to park in another business parking lot. We didn't get a very good nights rest because the walls are paper thin & the guests in the room next to us where extremely loud and drunk. The front desk did call their room and asked them to quiet down but it didn't make much of a difference. The only scary experience I had was the drunks in the next room. I had been looking forward to staying at the Palmer House for a long time & told a number of people only to return home extremely disapponted.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank tullabella
Reviewed August 5, 2007

This was a fun and extremely economical way to spend a night in Sauk Centre. We were there to ride the bike trail and see the Sinclair Lewis homestead/museum, and we had a great time. The standard room was quite nice, very clean and well kept, spacious bathroom. We ate dinner at the restaurant downstairs, and had the prime rib, which I really have to say, was excellent. Breakfast is not included at the hotel, so we went to the diner across the street, which was also an excellent value for the money (try the fresh baked cinammon rolls if they are available). When we checked out on Sunday, the owner (Kelly I think), was happy to sit there for a long while telling us some really interesting ghost stories about the hotel - we had heard some mysterious banging the night before - and figured it was the neighbors, but you never know! There are lots of pictures chronicling the history of Sauk Centre and the Palmer House on the lobby walls, and when we checked in, Kelly allowed us to park our bikes right in the lobby, so we didn't have to worry about them! Very accomodating. I just don't think you could get a better deal with better ambience anywhere! I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2006

I stayed at the Palmer House while on a cross country motorcycle trip in July 2006. Upon check-in I was asked if I knew the hotel was haunted. "No, I didn't know". It was July and hot in MN. In my first room at the top of the stairs the A/C leaked on the bed when I returned from exploring the town. I was given another room, Room 9.

Later that night, while at the bar off the lobby, I asked Dirk(?) if he had any experiences with the ghosts. He told of the time, before he worked there, that he was asked by the owner to please assemble a portable crib up in room 9. The owner said she had tried but could not get it assembled and had just come downstairs from the room. This was in a effort to get the room ready for a guest that was checking in later that evening. When Dirk went into the room, the crib was all assembled and ready for use!!! Who did it????

Another tale was of a candle moving by itself across a bar table. Why? How?

The second evening I was again in the bar for dinner and got taliking to the cook. Whe related that ghosts in the hotel are not Disney type, they are solid appearing and look just like you and me!! She also related stories about other occurances, lie the light on the piano in the lobby going on and off and on and off etc all by itself, even making the clicking sound!! Children singing in concert at Christmas time being pulled and bothered by a small boy that no one but the child saw!

I was leaving early Monday moring to continue my journey. The bartender said I would need to check out Sunday night as the morning staff does not come in until 7 AM. When I asked what about he night clerk, he said he was it and he goes home at 1 AM or so. From 1 AM until 7 AM there is no one in the hotel other than myself and one other guest. No other living soul he says. Well instead of leaving at 4 AM as I had planned I decided to wait until 6 AM because I did not want to be walking around the lobby in the dark!! Although it may have helped me get the bike loaded faster!! I clairified witht the bartender that I would be alone except for the other guest? He confirmed that. I checked out and went to sleep. The next moring you can imagine my surprise when I come down the steps a catch a flash of a person walking into the restaurant from the lobby! Well I continued down the stairs and as I went past the door way I looked in and saw an old man standing in the restaurant! I continued outside, loaded the bike and never did find out if he was a spirit or an alive person! He did come out and let me use his truck to jump start my bike however.... I concluded that he was alive person... or was he????

I would go back to the Palmer House anytime. I found it dfacinating, the food and drinks wonderful and the "guests" interesting!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank Deadendbill
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I really liked the atmosphere as I walked into this hotel. Although this is a haunted hotel, I unfortunately didnt come across any ghostly visitors but I was awakened by footsteps in the room above us at 2am - not ghosts.

The only thing I didnt like about the room was that it was stuffy and the A/C kept turning off automatically and only a few tv channels came in. The steps leading up to the rooms were kind of steep. I fell down the steps with my 2 year old and twisted my ankle but overall I would stay here again. I really liked the aura it gave off.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
New Hope, PA
Reviewed May 20, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this historic hotel many years ago and we were very impressed with the cleanliness and friendly atmosphere. On our way to Alaska this year we will make reservations to stay there again. Loved the historic aspect of the hotel. Great rates too!Hilda & Michael Bass

A TripAdvisor Member
Osakis, MN
Reviewed November 29, 2002

Staying at the Palmer House is an EVENT, not just a night's lodging. Very comfortable rooms, and the ambience of the whole place is marvelous. The Pub (bar and restaurant service) is charming and elegant with a small-town feel. The restaurant (also on main floor) has some of the best breakfasts you'll ever eat. The owners and service people will treat you like an honored guest. Enjoy!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#4 of 5 in Sauk Centre
Baymont Inn & Suites Albany
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Palmer House Hotel? Share your experiences!