“awesome!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palmer House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sauk Centre
Palmer House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sauk Centre
Walker, Minnesota, United States
“awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

Highly recommend the Palmer House Hotel. ..
Best hospitality ever!
the only con is no coffee maker in room & no vending machines.
we definately will stay there again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

My roommate & I had talked about staying a night at the Palmer House for a long time and finally decided to stay over on Halloween night to celebrate my recent graduation. We were really spooked by the "old" feeling of the building, but found ourselves wishing it were renovated, decorated and stylized more true to it's period of construction. Despite that, we found that our wish to be spooked, but not scared witless, was granted. We rented room 13 and heard footsteps and rolling noises throughout the night, checking the hallway and finding it empty. I was woken up several times hearing something/one moving through my room, but saw nothing...and slept with the lights on! We were a bit scared when we checked in and were notified that we were only one of two rooms filled in the whole place for the evening and that the entire staff was leaving at 8pm. But...it was a thrilling adventure to be so alone in the hotel as the evening progressed. To have a patron trust us and encourage some bravery in a spooky old building was fantastic, what an honor and such an adventure. We ventured down to the lobby around 9:30pm, where we had seen a dark shadow figure at check-in. We sat for some hours, knitting, reading magazines and talking. We experienced strange electrical thumps on our heads and being engulfed in cold air several times. By midnight we were tuckered out from the excitement and the excellent dinner we had at their pub. Even though it was a restless night, I got up at 7am and settled into the couch in the lobby, where they filled a cup of coffee for me and I knit. The breakfast at the restaurant was amazing! The staff had such different personalities, some chatty, some bossy (in a good way!) and some just plain spooked of the place. We definitely can say that our stay was unique, interesting and fun!

Room Tip: Be sure to pick a haunted room: 11, 13, 17, 18, 22. Be warned, there are reports that the spirit in...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tillianna J
Brainerd, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Pros #1. Very historical place needs some work but looks as though may have had some recent water damage they are in the process of getting fixed.
Pro #2 The Lobby is gorgeous. Old Fashioned scroll Piano . Beautiful furniture ambiance the whole nine yards. Original tile ceilings from what it looks like.
Pro #3 The Night clerk /Bartender was very nice willing to share stories and visit and help us pass the time when we were a little bored (Not big bar hoppers so really was there for the thrills of the paranormal.) He even stayed in a little late and had a pop with us he made us feel very welcomed and that helped us feel better about the whole trip so far. Thank you I don't remember your name but you had dark hair and were also tending bar. I think maybe it was john but I am probably wrong. But I gave it a shot. anyway you answered a lot of questions we had about our stay that people seemed to much in a hurry to answer earlier even though we were the only registered guest there.

Con #1 upon check in did not feel very welcomed by the lady at the front desk. acted as if she did not have anytime or desire to give us much history of the hotel. She did share one story but only part of it.

Con #2 The owner Kelly came in to the lobby the first day and the next morning and I was really hoping to get a chance just to say hello simply because she seems to be such a down to earth person on the interviews she does on u tube and other sites. Well Lets just say she made it very clear she did not have the time of day to stop and speak with us. Even a friendly welcome would have been nice simply because she is the face behind the building now. I was quite frankly surprised by the reception received from her she turned her back to us and hurried out of the room making sure only to talk to staff. I understand she is busy but after seeing her on the videos i was amazingly surprised at how standoffish she was..

The afternoon clerk was more friendly in the morning but seemed to want to rush us out the door at 930 am when checkout is at 11 am.

Room Tip: I did see a couple of other rooms and the King size Jacuzzi sweet was by far the nicest.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank AMTfromBRD
Pella, IA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel was okay... We look for unique "haunted" hotels and have had a lot of luck finding some cool places.... WELL, Sauk Centre is the MIDDLE OF NO WHERE! Do not come just to go to this hotel or you will be upset that you did. The hotel is old and needs updates pretty bad. I guess the room was nice enough and it was cheap. we were upset we could not do the ghost tour because our daughter was with us. We have never had a problem in the past, it is usually more of a history tour than anything anyway. I can not see us ever going this far for this hotel again, the town is DEAD! We ended up going to the movie theater two nights in a row, that was ALL there is to do in this town. Anyway... If you are in town anyway stay here but DO NOT GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kbhPella_IA
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

This place should really be where you choose to stay in Sauk Centre. It is downtown, rather than in the outskirts like a motor inn or something.

The rooms are fine - little bit weird that the bathroom didn't have a door - just a curtain.

The bar was open late enough and nice people there.

Would return!

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

We loved Palmer House Hotel. We booked the haunted room and were very excited to spend the night there. We were awoken in the middle of the night by a noise in our room that made both my husband and I jump out of bed! We have no idea what caused it but it gave us both a good scare! The hotel itself is so interesting, and it has many of it's original features. If you love old buildings with a lot of history, I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TMP4
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I have stayed at the Palmer House several times when in the area, and I will continue to do so. The atmosphere of this historic hotel is absolutely charming. From the tin ceilings and classic style cafe, to the warmth of the fireplace in the lounge, it just feels like home. Kelley and the Staff at the Palmer are always accomodating and helpful. And Kelley is always more than happy to tell a story or two about the history of the hotel and some of the 'residents.' And then there's the food! I've never had a meal that didn't taste wonderful. Who knew a simple grilled cheese sandwich could taste sooo good! Don't even get me started on the great desserts, I ususally get one to go when I check out! The location is great as well, you're right on main street with easy access to shopping and exploring. Plus there's a great park only a couple blocks behind the hotel. I'll be back again and again and again, well, you get the picture.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Melrose
Gopher Prairie Inn
Gopher Prairie Inn
#4 of 5 in Sauk Centre

Been to Palmer House Hotel? Share your experiences!