“Loved the camper cabin!”
Review of Banning State Park

Banning State Park
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Sandstone
More attraction details
Owner description: Hikers through this State Park have a choice of many scenic trails, which wind through birch and pine forests bordering along the turbulent waters of the Kettle River.
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We just got home from a night in the camper cabin at Banning State Park. The cabin is clean, nicely arranged, and on a great site in the campground. The bugs and caterpillers are plentiful so long sleeves and pants with strong bug repellent is recommended. We hiked to Wolf Creek Falls and along the river. It was gorgeous and not a difficult path for kids. The river is high and flowing nicely. The whole park is peaceful. Enjoy!

1  Thank JenniferMor8
There are newer reviews for Banning State Park

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We've hiked all over the world - yet often remark "Banning ranks as one of the best". The trail along the Kettle River is thrilling with views, sounds, and nature. If you happen to see a kayaker coming down those turbulent waters you have a most special treat. This is one of the finest parks in the north part of US.

2  Thank amigolucy
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was so impressed by this park. I hiked out here to do a hike from a hiking book that I had gotten. I started out the day by hiking at Moose lake state park and was rather unimpressed by that hike. So I was hoping this place would be better. The hike that I took followed a pamphlet guided tour with information about the area. The park was once a huge mill area and much of the material was used on buildings including the police department building in downtown Minneapolis. The huge chunks of rock that has been removed from all over the area made for great scenery. There were the remanants of many old buildings as well. Some of the highlights were the falls. They were quite colorful and a nice surprise to come upon in the woods. Also the river flowing through the area cut into the surrounding rocks and made some great natural formations including many large potholes and some devils face in the Hell's gate area. One of the greatest parks I have ever been too for natural beauty and awesome hiking. I have plans to come back to this park in the spring and really experience all it has to offer.

4  Thank Justin B
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I love seeing all the positive experiences from people in Banning State Park. I was born and raised in Sandstone and spent many hours exploring the woods and river and believe the scenery and natural beauty of this park are on par with any in the state.

For a real adventure, you can drive south to Sandstone and park in Robinson Park down by the river and hike from Robinson Park all the way up to Banning State Park. Keeping the river on your right you can't get lost, and there are so many things to see, from the bat cave, to Wolf Ridge Falls, to the kettles, exploring is only limited by your time, weather or want-to.

I now live in the Twin Cities, but it's great to see people enjoying the great outdoors in my "back yard" as much as I did! I'm getting nostalgic, I think I'm going to head up there soon.

P.S. Stop by Jan and Gary's when in Sandstone and order a chocolate malt, you'll be glad you did!

6  Thank Robb S
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Moved here recently from St. Louis so used to hiking in the rugged Ozarks along rocky, naturalistic trails. Also have extensively hiked GSMNP. This is one of the few parks I can find similar rocky, rugged and natural trials like the Ozarks, though much shorter in length. So many of the MN trails are wide, grassy and obviously mowed for winter CX ski use. It is so nice to enjoy a walk in a more natural setting. The Kettle River is very pretty, Wolf Ridge Falls is also a lovely spot and the hikes aren't really very challenging to get to beautiful views. Guessing in the summer the mosquitos are bad, but that's MN for you! Hiked this at end of September .... no bugs. If you love rugged, rocky, naturalized trails with beautiful river and waterfall scenery then this park is for you.

2  Thank wendy n