“Nice stop for dinner.”

Whiskey River
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Reasonably prices, good food, nice wild life area/river views - awesome service by Cameron!

1  Thank H-D_Biker_Jim

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The food is just o.k. and the atmosphere and decor could use alittle updating.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Went on a recent Saturday evening, the restaurant had a good crowd, howeer, we had no problem obtaining a table right away. Our waitress was prompt and had a good personality. Salads were fresh and tasty. I had the special for Saturday, Prime Rib, and it was done just the way I like it, medium rare and my side of AuGratin's were also good. My wife enjoyed the grilled Salmon. It was near dusk and the view from the dining area provided it's own intertainment with a herd of deer also dining from feeders outside. There were quite a few families with children who enjoyed the wildlife activity while they dined. Overall, a nice fun place to dine!

2  Thank billymn723
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This restaurant is a great place to visit, see friends and watch out the back windows on all the wildlife. Watching the wildlife is wonderful experience with the chance to see a number of bird species as well as deer and squirrels.
The service is good and the wait staff have were attentive. The food is ok and fair for the price to being overpriced but this is on a meal by meal basis. I visited early evening. The salad appeared to be from a bag with far too much iceberg (granted I feel any iceberg is too much). The dinner rolls were hard and dry...I suspect they were either old or exposed to air all day. I ordered the steak medium, what I received was a steak that was beyond well-done, there was no red, pink or brown...perhaps it was Cajun blacken.

If I return it would be for the wildlife viewing and perhaps order a burger or sandwich but not for a more meaningful meal or dinner.

Though my girlfriend had the walleyed and enjoyed her meal with some complaints of an over undercooked potato. She has also visited without me and had a ok-to good meal.
--The Hungry Curmudgeon.

1  Thank HungryCurmudgeon
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Last Friday night my parents were hosting a guest from Texas. My mom decided that we would give Whiskey River a try because it could be considered “Minnesota” food. We hadn’t been there in almost three years – and it will be another three years until we even consider going back…
We had reservations for 6 people at 7:30. We got their and the table was ready – but the host couldn’t count and only gave us 5 menus. A few minutes later our server came to the table to take a drink order. We wanted to order appetizers but she was only concerned about beverages. After taking our order and dropping off the beverages, she blew the table off and never took our appetizer order…
After a long time of waiting she came back to take our order and then acted surprised that we wanted to order appetizers. We ordered the chili cheese fries and the spinach and artichoke dip… disappointed… I have had much better chili cheese fries at a hole in the wall bar and the spinach and artichoke was gross. We couldn’t even eat it. It was gritty and pasty.
We ordered dinner and we were very disappointed yet again when 3 of the 6 guests went to order steak and the largest steak they had was an 8 oz steak and was priced at over $17.00… the steaks we over cooked and tiny… I personally had the ½ Parm chicken… the breading was mushy I couldn’t even eat it and left over half of it on my plate.

Overall we’re done going to Whiskey River – I’m flustered just writing about our experience… we can’t believe the price of the food for the quality you get – next time we won’t make the drive over from Mankato… we’ll find another establishment to entertain…