“Thank you!”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Seattle, Washington
“Thank you!”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I feel compelled to write my first review on Trip Advisor to share my good experience related to this hotel although I didn't stay here. On Feb. 20th, 2011 after a long Amtrak train ride, I arrived at the St Paul train station at midnight to learn that no cabs were running the rest of the night due treacherous driving conditions from a snowstorm. Not wanting to being stranded at the train station all night, I approached a 4-wheeled vehicle to see if I could catch a ride home since I was completely out of options. I learned that it was an all wheel drive shuttle truck for the Days Inn picking up a guest to take down the street to the hotel. Without hesitation, the driver (Chris Engelmann, General Manager of The Days Inn Midway) said he’d drive me home to a suburb north of St Paul which was a half hour away. In addition, he gladly gave another couple a ride to the airport park and ride that would have been stranded all night as well. I was grateful that someone would go out of their way to show an act of kindness in a snowstorm. I thought that said a lot about him and the business he is running. Thanks again Chris!

Stayed February 2011
3 Thank CascadeTraveler2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sioux Center, Iowa
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We needed a place close to Amtrak, and this met our needs.The weather was miserable and we found the restaurant on site a great place to hang out and enjoy good food.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
WISCONSIN RAPIDS
Reviewed November 5, 2010

The room & property were clean, though older. Nothing fancy. It was fine for just a quick overnight stay. The walls were pretty thin - we could hear what our neighbors were watching on TV

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I was visiting Minneapolis/St Paul for business without a rented vehicle and this is the closest motel I can find from the Amtrack train station.
The staff was nice enough to let me check in extremely early (9am), it was a big plus otherwise I will need to catch a bus to go somewhere else.
The room was clean but the carpet, bed are extremely old. I paid $70 via an internet website without complimentary breakfast. I honestly will not pay that price again to stay at such an old motel without breakfast.
One thing I find it funny is that, I have been allocated a membership number after this stay at Days Inn and a 15% discount for my next hotel stays. I tried to use the promotion rate for my recent trip however it turns out to be more expensive to book via Days Inn thaen other internet websites. Oh well, I think this motel chain requires some serious improvements in terms of their promotion strategy and hotel conditions.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
DaysInnStPaul, General Manager at Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments which are very valuable to us. We can focus our efforts to improve our facility based on your feed back.

The beds in our facility less than 5 years old. They are actually a Country Inn spec with a fitted, quilted mattress pad used by Hampton Inn. We generally get great comments on our beds. Comfort in a mattress is very subjective and in a large part based on personal preference.

Our actual Amtrak rate is considerable less than 70.00. The total you paid includes the 13% in State and local taxes.

We continually update the carpet in our facility and we re-carpet 20% of our guest rooms every year. If you have a chance please contact me as I would like to personally inspect the guest room you stayed in. I can be reached toll free at 1 800 325 9722.

Our hotel facility includes a wounderfull full service restaurant and lounge and does not offer a complimentary continental breakfast. The prices in our restaurant are very reasonable. All meals are homemade including soups and breakfast items. Many of our Guests prefer a healthy breakfast choices rather than the high carb and high sugar offerings in most free breakfast. We do have complimentary coffee available in our lobby 24 hours a day.

Again thanks for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you personally in the near future

Chris Engelmann
Days Inn Midway

Travelers are raving about these Saint Paul hotels

Chicago
Reviewed July 26, 2010

To begin, Dan the Friday night night desk clerk, promised that only $100 would be held on my debit card, when $465 was held, turning my weekend into a nightmare as I worried that checks would be bouncing all over town on Monday. The only positive aspects of our stay were the day desk clerks, Shella and Reggie, who were friendly, helpful, and true to their word of helping us to get the $465 released first thing Monday morning. Next, our confirmed reservation for a king non-smoking room was not honored. We were offered two doubles non-smoking, or a smoking king. We opted for the smoke-free room, meaning that my husband and I had to sleep in separate beds (the first night) or squeeze into one of the full size beds together (the second night). The TV in our room offered many interesting channels, however half of them had no sound. When the maintenance person came to our room, he was as baffled as we were. "Must be somethin' wrong with the TV," he said. We were told to just live with it. The fourth death knell for this hotel was the fact that when my husband went to the car early Saturday morning to make a Starbucks coffee run (no included continental breakfast--not even a cup of coffee in the lobby!) he saw four (4!) puddles of shattered glass next to four different cars in the hotel's parking lot. Maybe we should have taken a hint by the fact that the bar/restaurant attached to the hotel is called Tracks--we immediately conjured images of heroin needle tracks, due to the grungy clientele hanging around. When my husband asked the front desk clerk about the break ins, he was told that if we had to make a police report ourselves, not to worry because there were surveillance cameras in the parking lots! He parked our rental car under the brightest light he could find and we high-tailed it out of there as quickly as we could.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
DaysInnStPaul, Owner at Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway, responded to this review, November 15, 2010

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 651 645 8681.

Chris Engelmann
Owner
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed May 2, 2010

i went on a emergency trip my son was in the hospital iam from new jersey
i got hospital rates plus they have a shuttle every hour to the hospital and ends at 10pm
the crew that works there they were great they went out of there way to help me
tyffany steve fernando and the rest of the crew
only bad is the restautant food really bad and the services super bad
the restaurant they lease from the hotel but is in the same property
but the have great restaurante in the area that do delivers

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
jechod
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Just completed my 2nd stay at this location - Excellent staff (needs a little improvement w/ 2nd shift gal), excellent facility, excellent pool, excellent location, excellent customer service. I plan on staying here every time that I am in town which should be 4-5x/yr.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Paul
Hotel Metro
#11 of 16 in Saint Paul
University / Dinkytown
Hampton Inn and Suites Minneapolis University Area
Hotel 340
#4 of 16 in Saint Paul

Been to Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway? Share your experiences!